lifting and weight loss - what are your thoughts?

Options
I've read a lot of seemingly conflicting information about weight lifting and weight loss on these forums, so I figured I just didn't know enough information :).

I generally see the following comments about weight lifting:
1. You can't gain muscle while on a calorie deficit (there are always a few comments about how you can gain a few pounds of "newb muscles" but nothing more than that).
2. Muscle uses more calories/burns more fat, so adding a weight lifting regime to build muscle is a good idea to promote weight loss.

My question: If you are trying to lose weight, you'll be on a calorie deficit. If you're on a calorie deficit, you can't build muscle (per #1). If you can't build muscle, then you don't get the benefits of #2. If those are true, what's the point of weight lifting during dieting? I'm interested in your thoughts on the topic!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Weight training helps maintain what lean body mass you already have with the proper diet so as you lose weight more comes from fat and less from muscle.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Weight training helps maintain what lean body mass you already have with the proper diet so as you lose weight more comes from fat and less from muscle.

Exactly this.

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Yep, this. This is what allows for body recomposition (what most people call "toning").
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Stage14 wrote: »

Yep, this. This is what allows for body recomposition (what most people call "toning").

It's a short wrong way to say a goal. BTW I never heard a male say they are toning before.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Along with the above, resistance training with weights will "harden" the muscle making it more firm and conditioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    ng"[/b]).

It's a short wrong way to say a goal. BTW I never heard a male say they are toning before.

I'm seeing it more and more lately, kinda sad.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ng"[/b]).

Not from males or are you?

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll add a 3rd piece of information that I've heard to that list - I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've seen/heard people say (including a couple trainers at my gym) that your body continues to burn calories for 24 hours after you lift, as opposed to cardio, in which you're only burning calories during the exercise. I'd be interested to hear from others if that's true or not.
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My very first time to lift weights was Day 1 of my healthy eating regime. All I can speak for is my very own personal experience. I have built muscle. I have muscle where I had very little muscle before. I can lift heavy weights now and I couldn't when I started out 4 1/2 years ago. I have also lost weight. A lot of weight (as of today 157 lb). I know what people say about it being impossible to gain muscle in a deficit but my experience tells me you CAN or at least that I HAVE. My bodyfat % has shifted from 51.2% to 28.9%. If you are trying to decide whether to lift or not then DO IT!! Lifting weights is fun and rewarding and if you keep with it, realizing that it takes a while for results to show, you will be amazed at the results of your hard work!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'll add a 3rd piece of information that I've heard to that list - I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've seen/heard people say (including a couple trainers at my gym) that your body continues to burn calories for 24 hours after you lift, as opposed to cardio, in which you're only burning calories during the exercise. I'd be interested to hear from others if that's true or not.

I wonder how that works. It does still burn calories for muscle repair but does it for additional 24 hours?

I don't know but knowing so would help me figure out calorie limits since I lift five days a week.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    ng"[/b]).

From males unfortunately. I've seen threads here, not many thankfully. Mostly it's when they are giving advice to women which is worse imo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

When you lift, you tear your muscle fibers which requires your body to repair itself...body repair requires calories, thus it is true. That said, most people exaggerate this benefit.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ng"[/b]).

From males unfortunately. I've seen threads here, not many thankfully. Mostly it's when they are giving advice to women which is worse imo.

Those women need to question them more. Toning is not a word to describe seeing muscle definition.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options

I wonder how that works. It does still burn calories for muscle repair but does it for additional 24 hours?

I don't know but knowing so would help me figure out calorie limits since I lift five days a week.

I'm sure it's meant more as an "up to 24 hours" type thing, rather than "yes, it will continue for 24 hours exactly" - but if it's true, that's definitely another reason to lift, in my opinion. I lift 3x a week and I do notice that I'm hungrier the next day after a lifting session. That could be due to the extended calorie burn, or it could all be in my head :)
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you lift, you tear your muscle fibers which requires your body to repair itself...body repair requires calories, thus it is true. That said, most people exaggerate this benefit.

Ah I see, so it is true, but probably not a noticeable increase in calorie burn? Interesting.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    My very first time to lift weights was Day 1 of my healthy eating regime. All I can speak for is my very own personal experience. I have built muscle. I have muscle where I had very little muscle before. I can lift heavy weights now and I couldn't when I started out 4 1/2 years ago. I have also lost weight. A lot of weight (as of today 157 lb). I know what people say about it being impossible to gain muscle in a deficit but my experience tells me you CAN or at least that I HAVE. My bodyfat % has shifted from 51.2% to 28.9%. If you are trying to decide whether to lift or not then DO IT!! Lifting weights is fun and rewarding and if you keep with it, realizing that it takes a while for results to show, you will be amazed at the results of your hard work!

Congrats on your success!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I'm sure it's meant more as an "up to 24 hours" type thing, rather than "yes, it will continue for 24 hours exactly" - but if it's true, that's definitely another reason to lift, in my opinion. I lift 3x a week and I do notice that I'm hungrier the next day after a lifting session. That could be due to the extended calorie burn, or it could all be in my head :)

Well I think that might be in your head. Cardio makes me hungrier than lifting.
  • XavierNusum
    Options

I've read blog posts and studies that support and dispel the "after-burn" theory. I'm not sure what side I agree with as both make good points. The most important things to remember are muscle takes up less space than fat and it burns more calories than fat. Knowing those truths, it's a good idea to do resistance training.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I've read blog posts and studies that support and dispel the "after-burn" theory. I'm not sure what side I agree with as both make good points. The most important things to remember are muscle takes up less space than fat and it burns more calories than fat. Knowing those truths, it's a good idea to do resistance training.

I wonder how the anti after burn studies claim you repair muscle without using energy to do so.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Your body is always burning calories. The only time it doesn't is when you're deceased.
    Lots and lots of studies out there show that HIGH intensity exercise will slightly increase RMR versus moderate/low intensity exercise. However the burns that many trainers claim in EPOC are HIGHLY exaggerated and are mostly broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png