lifting and weight loss - what are your thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    My very first time to lift weights was Day 1 of my healthy eating regime. All I can speak for is my very own personal experience. I have built muscle. I have muscle where I had very little muscle before. I can lift heavy weights now and I couldn't when I started out 4 1/2 years ago. I have also lost weight. A lot of weight (as of today 157 lb). I know what people say about it being impossible to gain muscle in a deficit but my experience tells me you CAN or at least that I HAVE. My bodyfat % has shifted from 51.2% to 28.9%. If you are trying to decide whether to lift or not then DO IT!! Lifting weights is fun and rewarding and if you keep with it, realizing that it takes a while for results to show, you will be amazed at the results of your hard work!
    There are some exceptions: a newbie to lifting, a returning athlete after a long layoff and a very overweight/obese person using resistance training. However the gains top off quite quickly if the person continues in deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'll add a 3rd piece of information that I've heard to that list - I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've seen/heard people say (including a couple trainers at my gym) that your body continues to burn calories for 24 hours after you lift, as opposed to cardio, in which you're only burning calories during the exercise. I'd be interested to hear from others if that's true or not.

I wonder how that works. It does still burn calories for muscle repair but does it for additional 24 hours?

I don't know but knowing so would help me figure out calorie limits since I lift five days a week.

I'm sure it's meant more as an "up to 24 hours" type thing, rather than "yes, it will continue for 24 hours exactly" - but if it's true, that's definitely another reason to lift, in my opinion. I lift 3x a week and I do notice that I'm hungrier the next day after a lifting session. That could be due to the extended calorie burn, or it could all be in my head :)

Well I think that might be in your head. Cardio makes me hungrier than lifting.

Not surprising ;)
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'll add a 3rd piece of information that I've heard to that list - I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've seen/heard people say (including a couple trainers at my gym) that your body continues to burn calories for 24 hours after you lift, as opposed to cardio, in which you're only burning calories during the exercise. I'd be interested to hear from others if that's true or not.
    Your body is always burning calories. The only time it doesn't is when you're deceased.
    Lots and lots of studies out there show that HIGH intensity exercise will slightly increase RMR versus moderate/low intensity exercise. However the burns that many trainers claim in EPOC are HIGHLY exaggerated and are mostly broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options

I've read blog posts and studies that support and dispel the "after-burn" theory. I'm not sure what side I agree with as both make good points. The most important things to remember are muscle takes up less space than fat and it burns more calories than fat. Knowing those truths, it's a good idea to do resistance training.

I agree - I like to lift regardless, but the extra calorie burn would've been a nice bonus if only it were true.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I wonder how that works. It does still burn calories for muscle repair but does it for additional 24 hours?

I don't know but knowing so would help me figure out calorie limits since I lift five days a week.

I'm sure it's meant more as an "up to 24 hours" type thing, rather than "yes, it will continue for 24 hours exactly" - but if it's true, that's definitely another reason to lift, in my opinion. I lift 3x a week and I do notice that I'm hungrier the next day after a lifting session. That could be due to the extended calorie burn, or it could all be in my head :)

I think we're all different.

LISS does not make me hungry. HIIT makes me ravenous. Upper body days I might be a tad bit hungrier. Lower body days, I am ravenous.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the inputs! To summarize everything y'all said, it sounds like I should expect a bit of muscle gain (probably just a couple pounds, roughly), then I'll mostly be maintaining that while I'm on a calorie deficit.

I've always enjoyed lifting. I love the way it makes me feel, and if I'm allowed a little vanity, I appreciate how strong I look when I lift regularly. I'm starting stronglifts 5x5 tomorrow morning, and I'm VERY excited!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think we're all different.

LISS does not make me hungry. HIIT makes me ravenous. Upper body days I might be a tad bit hungrier. Lower body days, I am ravenous.

I say it's in the head because I used to also be hungry actually too hungry on lifting days. I changed the way I think about post workouts to something productive.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Glowiie1 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the inputs! To summarize everything y'all said, it sounds like I should expect a bit of muscle gain (probably just a couple pounds, roughly), then I'll mostly be maintaining that while I'm on a calorie deficit.

I've always enjoyed lifting. I love the way it makes me feel, and if I'm allowed a little vanity, I appreciate how strong I look when I lift regularly. I'm starting stronglifts 5x5 tomorrow morning, and I'm VERY excited!

Follow the program and watch the body transform if you eat correctly.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So what about cardio that uses some resistance - arc trainer, treadmill running uphill, etc? Aren't you exerting extra force and thereby using more of the muscle to create a muscle repair like lifting? Certainly not the same level as lifting?
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! [/quote]

Thank you.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    #1 isn't necessarily true, especially if you have a lot of excess body fat to burn.

The main reason to do resistance training while in a caloric deficit is this: While in a deficit, your body normally will burn both fat and muscle tissue. Consistent resistance training tells your body that it needs that muscle, so it will keep it and just burn the fat.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    http://www.bradleywell.com/doc/Page.asp?PageID=DOC000365

"Claude Bouchard, an obesity researcher from the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, who revealed that a pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories per day (and a pound of fat burns about two)."

"Sedentary muscle appears to burn about 5.7 to 5.9 calories per pound each day.
    Weight trained muscle appears to burn about 7.2 to 7.4 calories per pound each day (increasing metabolism by about 7% a day)."

"recognize that not all lean weight is muscle. The greater portion of your metabolic rate comes from the work of your internal organs which burn in excess of 20 calories per pound!"

So basically, if you are training hard 3+ times a week, each pound of muscle burns an additional 1.5cals/day. So, for every 10lbs of muscle, workout hard, and burn an additional 15cals per day on your rest days.

So...if you lose 3 lb of fat, and gain 1 lb of muscle that is
    6 cals burned by 3lbs of fat vs
    5.7 cals burned by un worked out muscle or
    7.2 cals burned by worked out muscle

Fun, right?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »
    http://www.bradleywell.com/doc/Page.asp?PageID=DOC000365

"Claude Bouchard, an obesity researcher from the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, who revealed that a pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories per day (and a pound of fat burns about two)."

"Sedentary muscle appears to burn about 5.7 to 5.9 calories per pound each day.
    Weight trained muscle appears to burn about 7.2 to 7.4 calories per pound each day (increasing metabolism by about 7% a day)."

"recognize that not all lean weight is muscle. The greater portion of your metabolic rate comes from the work of your internal organs which burn in excess of 20 calories per pound!"

So basically, if you are training hard 3+ times a week, each pound of muscle burns an additional 1.5cals/day. So, for every 10lbs of muscle, workout hard, and burn an additional 15cals per day on your rest days.

So...if you lose 3 lb of fat, and gain 1 lb of muscle that is
    6 cals burned by 3lbs of fat vs
    5.7 cals burned by un worked out muscle or
    7.2 cals burned by worked out muscle

Fun, right?

Science is fun! Thanks for sharing this!
  • XavierNusum
    Options

Those women need to question them more. Toning is not a word to describe seeing muscle definition.

I agree completely! I try to make it a point to explain away that myth every chance I get.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    Glowiie1 wrote: »

I'm biased towards lifting, so I'm glad you gleaned enough knowledge from this thread to keep you lifting! I really do think {uh oh, soap box} lifting is healthy for more than just physical reasons. There are plenty of stories of girls and guys finding powerlifting, weightlifting or even crossfit as a path away from eating disorders and negative body image issues. It really helps you look at food in a healthier, less emotional way. I eat to get strong, period. So many have found a functional, strong, capable bodies, at all ranges of "weight", as a beautiful thing. And I think that's a beautiful thing! It's something I plan to impart on my 4 daughters. {Rant off sorry}