Struggling to give up.....

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Work the sweets into your calorie goal and macros. Everything is fine, in moderation, unless you have allergies or medical condition that dictates it otherwise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Work the sweets into your calorie goal and macros. Everything is fine, in moderation, unless you have allergies or medical condition that dictates it otherwise.

that's my point. If we label food "bad" then we give it power. Self control, making it fit and having it in moderation is the key to life long weight loss maintenance imho...if you can't learn that well....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    give them up and most people will crash and burn like you've seen

work the sweets into your calorie defecit, you will work out what you have to give up to eat them and then you'll start working out whether it's worth it .. if you're feeling hungry for the sake of a chocolate bar you aren't going to keep doing it are you?

I eat sweet stuff and chips (crisps) daily .. because I don't believe in deprivation

But I hit my protein and fat macros and make sure I get a good nutritional spread of foods too

it's about learning to live appropriately in the modern age not about constant commitment .. and it becomes more natural as time goes on .. although sometimes it's still a struggle and that's where willpower comes back in
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lilith5 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to give up anything sweet.....I was fine for a little while but then I went and bought cake yesterday and sweets today. I bought fruit and I love what I bought, I just can't seem to stop :(

Are you eating enough protein and fat? This can help reduce sugar cravings.

I plan for a small amount of treats and don't get bingy anymore. Being overly restrictive can be dangerous for some people. Others need to do it for medical reasons and others can do this without issues.

Your sugar cravings must come from a totally different place if eating protein and fat sates them
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to give up anything sweet.....I was fine for a little while but then I went and bought cake yesterday and sweets today. I bought fruit and I love what I bought, I just can't seem to stop :(

I plan for a small amount of treats and don't get bingy anymore. Being overly restrictive can be dangerous for some people. Others need to do it for medical reasons and others can do this without issues.

I've done it before but it wasn't so hard coz there was nothing like it in the house. But we have my niece living with us and she eats crisps, sweets and chocolate etc. Yeah I just think it's taking a while maybe coz my body is used to eating it everyday?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Your sugar cravings must come from a totally different place if eating protein and fat sates them

Well, I noticed when I ate proportionally more protein and fat, I didn't want sugar as much in general and my premenstrual sugar cravings all but disappeared.

So it wasn't: want sugar > eat protein and fat instead
    But: eat more protein and fat > don't want sugar as much
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I've done it before but it wasn't so hard coz there was nothing like it in the house. But we have my niece living with us and she eats crisps, sweets and chocolate etc. Yeah I just think it's taking a while maybe coz my body is used to eating it everyday?

Oh, I'm sure if it were in my face it would be hard for me too. If you don't want to be tempted, can you have your niece keep this in her room and not eat it in front of you? Or keep stuff in the back of the frig/freezer? In a brown paper bag, lol.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what you want!

Do you want to include cake? It would seem, since you went out and bought it - that you do. If that's what you want, then include cake in your plans so that it doesn't become an overage and a binge. Lots of people here have said that they purposely eat small amounts of things they love because if they don't, they will binge. You won't be alone there.

If you don't want to include cake, then you're going to need to be more disciplined and not cave in while you're trying to change your habits. It takes time. But you keep working on it and you get better at it.

Going out for cake, though, I think it's time to sit yourself down and figure out what it is you really want. It sounds to me like you want cake. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that way.

Either way, figure it out and commit to it. :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I can't have trigger foods around. I hide them. From myself or have my hubby or I will eat the whole thing! I don't buy sweets for me but tge others like em so its hard if im in that place bc I will eat it then im craving sweets so its better to not go there if I can.
  • Lilith5
    Options

Oh, I'm sure if it were in my face it would be hard for me too. If you don't want to be tempted, can you have your niece keep this in her room and not eat it in front of you? Or keep stuff in the back of the frig/freezer? In a brown paper bag, lol.

No not really...food don't get eaten up the stairs. It's big bags of crisps, can't really be hidden
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories every night for a late night snack of something sweet. When you plan ahead for it, it makes it even better.
  • Lilith5
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Do you want to include cake? It would seem, since you went out and bought it - that you do. If that's what you want, then include cake in your plans so that it doesn't become an overage and a binge. Lots of people here have said that they purposely eat small amounts of things they love because if they don't, they will binge. You won't be alone there.

If you don't want to include cake, then you're going to need to be more disciplined and not cave in while you're trying to change your habits. It takes time. But you keep working on it and you get better at it.

Going out for cake, though, I think it's time to sit yourself down and figure out what it is you really want. It sounds to me like you want cake. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that way.

My mother wanted cake and I ended up eating some. But she now wants to lose weight so hopefully no more cake. I don't even like cake that much anymore unless it's battenberg
  • Lilith5
    Options
    I can't have trigger foods around. I hide them. From myself or have my hubby or I will eat the whole thing! I don't buy sweets for me but tge others like em so its hard if im in that place bc I will eat it then im craving sweets so its better to not go there if I can.

I just hate that I've gotten myself back into this after 4-5 years of eating properly and moderation and portion control. I move closer to family and bam! I'm back where I started :(
  • Lilith5
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories every night for a late night snack of something sweet. When you plan ahead for it, it makes it even better.

Sometimes I don't even crave it, it's just because it's there
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

My mother wanted cake and I ended up eating some. But she now wants to lose weight so hopefully no more cake. I don't even like cake that much anymore unless it's battenberg
    Now Battenburg is my worst kind of cake. Lol.... Give me a doughnut any day (even though it's not really a cake ;) ).
    Don't feel bad about eating sweet stuff,....i eat Chocolate or some kind of Sweets (Candy) every day.
    As long as it fits within your calorie count, no worries!

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    eat the crisps/chips. eat the cake. just weigh and log it, to make sure it fits in your overall calories for the day. don't stress about one food being "bad" and another being "good." You might be getting cravings because your daily calorie goal is too low. How tall are you? What's your goal loss rate set to?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 108 lbs to lose and that you've lost 5. So, you want to give up and be at this same weight? I read your profile and you've written very powerful words. Were those words for you? Perhaps re-read what you wrote?

And the junk food is for your niece? Does she need the junk food? You made the purchase, correct? Perhaps just toss it outside in the trash?

At 27 years old, its time to take control of your life. Best of luck. :)
  • Lilith5
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    eat the crisps/chips. eat the cake. just weigh and log it, to make sure it fits in your overall calories for the day. don't stress about one food being "bad" and another being "good." You might be getting cravings because your daily calorie goal is too low. How tall are you? What's your goal loss rate set to?

I'm 5ft and I want to get to 7st 10
  • Lilith5
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 108 lbs to lose and that you've lost 5. So, you want to give up and be at this same weight? I read your profile and you've written very powerful words. Were those words for you? Perhaps re-read what you wrote?

And the junk food is for your niece? Does she need the junk food? You made the purchase, correct? Perhaps just toss it outside in the trash?

At 27 years old, its time to take control of your life. Best of luck. :)

No I don't want to be at this weight :( yeah I actually had forgotten what I had wrote.
    I suppose out of sight out of mind, I'll just find somewhere to put them.
    Thanks Allaboutthecake :)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I certainly haven't given up sweets. Now, admittedly, I don't worry about my sugar grams, or even that much about my macros, though I generally aim for the 50/30/20 carbs/fat/protein balance.

I have a Nothing Bundt Cakes bundtlet in my refrigerator right now, and a fair bit of ice cream. And when I have 200-400 calories remaining after dinner, I might have one or the other. Or I might go a few calories over the goal (which, for a 1 pound per week weight loss, is set at a 500/day calorie deficit).

Maintaining a healthy weight is about informed choices more than ascetic deprivation.