Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Afraid to stop my new daily cardio routine. *I enjoy it, its fun!

For over a week straight I've been going hard with my cardio burning over 1000 calories daily. I am afraid to stop. Am I going to hard? I wish to lean out, and I'm eating clean, no junk. I plan on joining the gym on payday for the weights, otherwise I cycle for my cardio on my fixie. Any input? Thx.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    what are you using to measure these 1000 calorie burns?

• unmatcheddiscipline
    unmatcheddiscipline Posts: 101 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The MapMyRide app.
  • ndj1979
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The MapMyRide app.

I am not familiar with that.

chances are you not really burning 1000 calories a day, just an FYI. I would also recommend not eating back 100% of your 1000 calorie "burns"...

How far are you cycling?

• unmatcheddiscipline
    You're the best! Thx. I measure everything with digital scale, measuring cups and spoons. I have a scale that measure my fat, muscle and bone. I really appreciate your sound advice, and the links :smiley: I've been focused on the fiber, potassium and fat in particular, watching those 3 to make sure I get 2 of the RDA's in, and the other not to go over too much. I am afraid if I stop with one day, I will fall off.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Okay, first, What kind of workout are you putting in on your fixie and how are you determining the calorie burn? Sounds like you may be over estimating. That's pretty common.
    For me to get that kind of calorie burn on the bike takes a fairly tough, long(about 2 hours), hilly ride.
    If you're new to seriously riding, yeah, it's probably too much. Especially concerning is the idea that you are afraid to stop. You need rest days and you need recovery rides or you'll end up burned out, injured, or otherwise miserable.
    That being said, if you've gradually built up to that level, have the endurance, and you are varying your workouts appropriately, ideally including cross training, it's perfectly reasonable to put up huge calorie burns on the bike on the regular. I put in 9 hours on the bike over the holiday weekend, plus a hike, a few runs, and a swim...
    The keys differences between our situations being that (1) I'm following a structured training plan, (2) I built recovery workouts in, (3) I know when to stop, and (4) I'm doing this because I enjoy it and not because I'm afraid not to.
    Also, I eat ice cream all the dang time. Don't worry about the cleanliness of your food- watch your macros and don't try to go low carb when knocking out 90+ minutes of cardio a day unless you are a trained, fat adapted athlete.
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    I'm cycling 15-22 miles daily of 13-16 mph. All on my fixie.
  • ndj1979

I am not too familiar with cycling calories burned but that sounds like a pretty intense ride…

I would just be wary of eating back all of those calories…maybe 75%…

• unmatcheddiscipline
    Oh no I do not eat them all back, sometimes I don't eat any back at all. Its hard really tough because my appetite is crazy now.
  • SBRRepeat

Height, weight, etc? What kind of terrain? Are you stopping at intersections/in traffic a lot- is autopause turned on so those aren't included in your numbers? So many variables w! Cycling.
    In my experience, the map my ____ apps overestimate burn about the same as rate as MFP- I'd cut at least a third off that, maybe more.
  • ndj1979
    You're the best! Thx. I measure everything with digital scale, measuring cups and spoons. I have a scale that measure my fat, muscle and bone. I really appreciate your sound advice, and the links :smiley: I've been focused on the fiber, potassium and fat in particular, watching those 3 to make sure I get 2 of the RDA's in, and the other not to go over too much. I am afraid if I stop with one day, I will fall off.

you are welcome.

I would make sure that you have one, one hundred percent rest day, or, eventually, you will burn out.

also if you are going to start lifting and cycling you may find it difficult to keep up that kind of pace….

• ndj1979
    Oh no I do not eat them all back, sometimes I don't eat any back at all. Its hard really tough because my appetite is crazy now.

how man calories are you eating a day right now??
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    My boyfriend is a cyclist, and suggested the app to keep track of my rides, and by it being a fixie I do keep peddling to ensure I get all of my burn in, even if I have to slow down the bike to keep up with my foot work/cadence. I really enjoy it :blush:
  • SBRRepeat

Hon, your appetite is crazy because you're cycling so much each day. Eat back some of those calories or you'll burn out way fast.
    And eat while riding if you're out for more than 90 minutes, especially if newer. Cyclists eat like animals for a reason... It's an energy intensive sport.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    If you are exercising intensely, you should be eating at least a portion of those calories back to continue fueling those intense workouts. Otherwise you're going to leave yourself open to injury, as well as fizzle out from exhaustion because it's not sustainable. In a previous post you mentioned you're a yo-yo dieter. The key to your success is going to be making your lifestyle and diet sustainable.
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    That make a lot of sense, and that's why I go hard as I can to make sure I get in my burn, because the overestimation is highly likely. I ride up hills non-stop, and being from Cali I ride aggressively, so I maneuver rarely stopping at a light.

I'm eating anywhere from 1300-2500 depending on how hungry I am.
  • ndj1979
    That make a lot of sense, and that's why I go hard as I can to make sure I get in my burn, because the overestimation is highly likely. I ride up hills non-stop, and being from Cali I ride aggressively, so I maneuver rarely stopping at a light.

if you only eat 1300 and burn 1000 that means you are netting 300 for that particular day, which is not good at all.

what you need to do is eat to the number that MFP gave you and then NET that number.

so if MFP gives you 1500 to lose x amount and you burn 1000 calories and back half of them (500) then your intake for the day should be 2000 - 500 burned = 1500 net ..

if you do not fuel your body then your work outs are going to suffer big time.

you may want to also re-think the whole "clean eating" mantra …..
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    Thx yall. I tried to tell my bf I need the calories, but he makes me feel guilty and say I don't have discipline, LOL he's annoying and I tell him so while munching on something healthy, he's a hater LOL. I really agree I need to take a day off, I want to go out tonight so bad, but I won't. I appreciate yall so so so much!!! I don't want to burn out. I didn't mean to sound aggressive if I did in my replies if I came off that way.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Please don't. The battle between cyclists and motorists is bad enough. Things like this are the reason why a lot motorists dislike cyclists.
  • ndj1979
    Thx yall. I tried to tell my bf I need the calories, but he makes me feel guilty and say I don't have discipline, LOL he's annoying and I tell him so while munching on something healthy, he's a hater LOL. I really agree I need to take a day off, I want to go out tonight so bad, but I won't. I appreciate yall so so so much!!! I don't want to burn out. I didn't mean to sound aggressive if I did in my replies if I came off that way.

if your BF is making you feel guilty about eating, then I suggest you drop him …seriously.