124»

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    You nutritionist is full of it.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    sorka wrote: »
    The calories for exercise are from using a polar heart rate monitor doing a 45 min RPM spin bike class. I also use the heart rate monitor to measure calories for the strength/HIT sessions I do. I thought Polar were good - and not sure how it could give me the wrong info? Are they not accurate measurements?

i have a polar ht4 and i have to go onto shape sense.com and work out the net calories vs gross - as you still burn calories say just sitting on the sofa so you need to erradicate them calories to find your actual burn, its that figure i enter onto mfp and generally eat half back somethimes more if hungry
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The calories for exercise are from using a polar heart rate monitor doing a 45 min RPM spin bike class. I also use the heart rate monitor to measure calories for the strength/HIT sessions I do. I thought Polar were good - and not sure how it could give me the wrong info? Are they not accurate measurements?

Polar is a great HRM

like all HRMs the formula is for steady state cardio
    - a spin bike class / strength and HIIT are not steady state cardio hence the formula does not accurately estimate your calorie burn
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    salstg wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm not as savvy as these other folks but if you are concerned with losing cm then you should probably be more concerned with that than weight. It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT. Monitoring your cm's would be a good indicator if what you believe is correct or not. You saw a nutritionist so I assume they probably know what they are talking about but the myfitnesspal site works for me as it probably did for everyone that posted already.

I personally don;t eat back all the calories from exercise. I have it set at 2lbs per week and sedentary. I don't weigh my food (I just estimate... i know... I'm lazy) but I've lost about 4 lbs a week. Just try something different and see what happens. My calories are at 1460.... just for reference.

You're losing 4 lbs a week stv1460? How much weight are you trying to lose?

There are quack nutrtionists.

You don't gain muscle on a deficit, except for newbie gains. Building muscle is very difficult and intentional.

Idk... About 100lbs or so.

Not sure where I said you gain muscle on a deficit.

You made this statement:
    It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT

Yeah... isn't it your assumption that they are eating too much? In which case they would not be at a deficit.

It's not about my assumption, it's about what you saying that someone could be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. With your statement, it sounds like you believe she in a deficit (you say she's losing fat, and that's how you lose fat) and gaining muscle at the same time. Is that what you mean?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

i have a polar ht4 and i have to go onto shape sense.com and work out the net calories vs gross - as you still burn calories say just sitting on the sofa so you need to erradicate them calories to find your actual burn, its that figure i enter onto mfp and generally eat half back somethimes more if hungry
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Polar is a great HRM

like all HRMs the formula is for steady state cardio
    - a spin bike class / strength and HIIT are not steady state cardio hence the formula does not accurately estimate your calorie burn

I love my Polar heart rate monitor. :) Indeed, it is for steady state cardio only.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Eat ENOUGH calories to lose weight. Undereating reduces metabolic rate exponentially.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png