I'm stuck

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    cath1965 wrote: »
    I think your body is going into starvation mode because you are not fueling it. Exercise or no exercise your body needs nutrients. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist. I think you may need some guidance on healthy food and meal ideas. I know it helped me to talk to someone. And I thought I knew it all! Read everything you can to educate yourself. Dr. Oz is great to refer to. I like the 21 day fix program. It gives you the right portion sizes and stresses the importance of eating real food. Meal prepping always helps me to stay on track. When I am not prepared with food, I grab whatever. If I skip meals it always backfires. You are better off drinking a healthy protein shake with good protein powder and unsweetened almond or cashew milk than skipping breakfast. Pack snack packs of veggies for the week and keep them in the fridge with snack packs of hummus ready to go. A big bowl of apples. (slice them with cinnamon!) Unsweetened greek yogurt with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey with fresh berries. I need to fuel my body every 2 - 3 hours. Not big meals but, real clean food. I always say eat as close to the ground as you can. As real as it can get. That is what has helped me. Hang in there, taking baby steps add up. Focus on one thing a week to improve...non of us are perfect. It all takes time.

No, no, no. OP, please just ignore this. Dr. Oz has been shown over and over in scientific studies to be full of it. Starvation mode is not what's happening. Starvation mode is what happened in concentration camps in WWII.
  • Adrobins
    Adrobins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You seem to be struggling with your weight. It's not easy... And it seems so impossible right now, does it? Take a good look at yourself in the mirror and say: "I'm worth it!".

- Speak with your doctor about this:

You may want to look into stopping those pills.

Don't skip meals anymore. Keep some nuts and fruits for when you're hungry.

Try to walk for a few minutes every day, increasing your stamina slowly.

Try to cut down processed food and beverages - Drink water instead.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    cath1965 wrote: »
    I think your body is going into starvation mode because you are not fueling it. Exercise or no exercise your body needs nutrients. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist. I think you may need some guidance on healthy food and meal ideas. I know it helped me to talk to someone. And I thought I knew it all! Read everything you can to educate yourself. Dr. Oz is great to refer to. I like the 21 day fix program. It gives you the right portion sizes and stresses the importance of eating real food. Meal prepping always helps me to stay on track. When I am not prepared with food, I grab whatever. If I skip meals it always backfires. You are better off drinking a healthy protein shake with good protein powder and unsweetened almond or cashew milk than skipping breakfast. Pack snack packs of veggies for the week and keep them in the fridge with snack packs of hummus ready to go. A big bowl of apples. (slice them with cinnamon!) Unsweetened greek yogurt with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey with fresh berries. I need to fuel my body every 2 - 3 hours. Not big meals but, real clean food. I always say eat as close to the ground as you can. As real as it can get. That is what has helped me. Hang in there, taking baby steps add up. Focus on one thing a week to improve...non of us are perfect. It all takes time.

This is parody, right? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    1. Quit making excuses. YOU are in charge of your life. No one else. People can only make you feel bad if you let them.

2. Use this calculator (or one like it) to figure out how many calories to eat per day. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It's free. Just plug in your stats.

3. Get a food scale. Weigh ALL your food, EVERY day. LOG all your food, every day. Get as close to your recommended calorie count as you can.

4. Don't worry about exercise yet. Walking is fine. Don't worry about counting exercise calories yet. You can do that later. Right now focus on getting your eating under control.

5. Buy groceries. Quit existing on gas station food and take out. It's fine once in a while, but it's nutrient deficient and loaded with sodium.

6. Lose the Red Bull and the pills.

I promise you. If you do all this every day, the weight will fall off. You just have to stick with it and believe in yourself and trust in the process.

No one can do it for you. Take the reins.

• ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Your diary is filled with garbage. You wont lose anything no matter how many pills you take. The truth hurts.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Your diary is filled with garbage. You wont lose anything no matter how many pills you take. The truth hurts.

Here's the truth; doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

OP may be eating 'garbage', but if she did create a caloric deficit then I'm certain she'd lose weight. Granted, she isn't. She's eating more than she thinks by the look of her logs; "Generic - Tamale". No, OP, you have to be accurate. You're obviously not.

If diet pills worked, no one would be fat. Ask yourself this, "if diet pills work, why am I even here?". Might sound a bit intimidating but think about it...
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Here's the truth; doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

OP may be eating 'garbage', but if she did create a caloric deficit then I'm certain she'd lose weight. Granted, she isn't. She's eating more than she thinks by the look of her logs; "Generic - Tamale". No, OP, you have to be accurate. You're obviously not.

If diet pills worked, no one would be fat. Ask yourself this, "if diet pills work, why am I even here?". Might sound a bit intimidating but think about it...

There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy though. The immediate goal is dropping weight. But what is the end goal? She talked about being around longer for her three children. And I'm going out on a limb and guessing that since she mentioned everyone in her family is very overweight, that her children may be following down her path as well.

Ultimately it sounds like you're looking to make a life style change. It's a really hard path and you've already come a long ways it sounds like! Keep in mind that when you have a lot to lose, it will take a lot of time for you to do it on your own. Surgery is out for you, and that's fine because you CAN do this on your own. It is possible. Time is the worst part... i think we all know how frustrating it can be.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy though. The immediate goal is dropping weight. But what is the end goal? She talked about being around longer for her three children.

Exactly.

In addition, junk food is high in calories and low in nutrients. You generally get a lot more bang for your calorie buck by eating real, filling foods.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy though. The immediate goal is dropping weight. But what is the end goal? She talked about being around longer for her three children.

Exactly.

In addition, junk food is high in calories and low in nutrients. You generally get a lot more bang for your calorie buck by eating real, filling foods.

That's all true, for sure. It's also true though that food should not have a moral value attached to it (unless you're talking about feeding the hungry etc) and IMO it's really important to be able to scarf a burrito now and then without having guilt throw you completely off the wagon. Food is just piles of chemicals, it doesn't have goodness or badness and it's not garbage until it goes into the garbage.
  • suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess I was under the false sense of hope that IVE heard the larger you are the faster you loose weight. The first few weeks I started on the phentermine I ate only veggies and lean protein and only lost about 10 lbs in two weeks then it started slowing down and I really don't notice a difference at all in my body other than loosing my chest. Last year at this time I couldnt do my own grocery shopping. I would go with my family to the local Walmart and sit in the shoe department while my family did the shopping. Now I look at all the flyers every Tuesday because new sales at the local grocery stores start Wednesday's and I make a list from each store and go to two or three store and walk up and down every isle with no problem at all. IVE had my thyroid tested Time and time again, I cant name anyone on either side of my family who doesn't have a weight problem . Once again not excuses just facts. I decided to make a change over a year ago and a few weeks of logging on this app doesn't show all the success and failures IVE made but the weight is coming off just not as quickly as I was expecting or hoping it to. IVE cut out 99% of soda only drinking one once in a great blue moon and even then sharing it with my husband. The redbull needs to go I know but I can't kick all bad habits over night
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    there are a few things you can change, definitely get a scale so you can accurately measure your food and log better. also your goal now is 2500 calories a day, you can try lowering it to 2400 or 2300. just stay consistent. walking is good, I would keep doing that whenever you can. you will get there, be patient I know its hard.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Here's the reality: if you are not losing weight, then you're not eating at a calorie deficit.

Most people are not special snowflakes. Usually if they're not losing they're eating the amount that will maintain their body weight.

I really don't know what else to add to this thread.
  • adoud1
    adoud1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it Suger. It's going to take time, but you ARE beginning to lose, and you're getting healthier in the mean-time, that's what's most important. Keep walking those grocery aisles, park far away at the store, every little bit helps your body. There's plenty of suggestions in here for good eating habits so I won't repeat those, but I don't want you to give up!! I understand the desire to want to use the Phentermine to jump start your progress, and perhaps it will help keep you motivated. Long term, it will not keep you skinny, but maybe it's the push you need right now. Whatever gets you moving is okay, just be sure to use it under a doctor's care. Start eating better, eating less, and moving more, and you WILL see a difference! It's going to take time, but it is worth it as you see those results! Don't get discouraged with no loss in a week or two, that happens to EVERYONE! Your body adjusts to what you're doing and it takes a little bit to move to the next level. But it WILL move to the next level. Don't give up. You've taken the steps to a healthier you.....keep at it!!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A lot of people. Especially of a certain size. Don't need a diet. They have an eating disorder and need therapy and lifestyle changes. Based on your responses and situation it sounds like this may be you. Can you see a therapist or at least a dietician? These things will help. I have an eating disorder so I understand. And I take criticism very poorly too. I think most people on here are coming from a place of caring and just want to see what could be wrong for you. I hope you can work on this and make positive changes. Good luck and realize it takes time!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    suger723 wrote: »
    I guess I was under the false sense of hope that IVE heard the larger you are the faster you loose weight. The first few weeks I started on the phentermine I ate only veggies and lean protein and only lost about 10 lbs in two weeks then it started slowing down and I really don't notice a difference at all in my body other than loosing my chest. Last year at this time I couldnt do my own grocery shopping. I would go with my family to the local Walmart and sit in the shoe department while my family did the shopping. Now I look at all the flyers every Tuesday because new sales at the local grocery stores start Wednesday's and I make a list from each store and go to two or three store and walk up and down every isle with no problem at all. IVE had my thyroid tested Time and time again, I cant name anyone on either side of my family who doesn't have a weight problem . Once again not excuses just facts. I decided to make a change over a year ago and a few weeks of logging on this app doesn't show all the success and failures IVE made but the weight is coming off just not as quickly as I was expecting or hoping it to. IVE cut out 99% of soda only drinking one once in a great blue moon and even then sharing it with my husband. The redbull needs to go I know but I can't kick all bad habits over night

10 pounds lost in two weeks is HUGE. Of course you can't maintain that, but with medical supervision, if you are obese, you could probably safely maintain a loss of 3 pounds per week until you are out of the obese BMI range.

Use a food scale, and log accurately. You can do this.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Everyone's experience losing weight varies. Some people get a huge weight loss initially, some people don't. You have to carve out your own path and commit to it. You will have obstacles along the way, but you'll figure it out as long as you don't quit when things get tough or not as you were expecting.

Something else to consider is that because of your weight, your weight fluctuations could be pretty large. Don't get alarms or discouraged if your weight goes up. As long as it is going down over a period of time, you are doing fine!

My advice would be to set a calorie deficit and stick to it. What food you eat really doesn't matter right now, just drop the weight. Once you get within 50 lbs of your desired weight, then start worrying about nutritional goals. As long as you don't go overboard, I'd even say Redbull is OK. I prefer Monster, myself! B)

You have a LONG path ahead of you. You need to find something that works for you, that is sustainable for a long period of time, and that you can enjoy.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Generally the folks with the most to lose are going for 2lb/week. MAYBE 3 lb/week at the upper limits. Remember that that is an average over many weeks/months/years. So having lost 10 lbs in two weeks, you're ahead of the game and it's normal to hit a wall for a week or so. If you continue to not lose, lower your calories, but do it slowly and gradually like maybe 100 cals/day less for two weeks, then if still nothing another 100 cals/less. No reason for drastic overreaction.

You have made a huge change in your life already! How incredible that you've gone from sitting out the grocery trips to owning them completely. Be proud of that - you *earned* it.

We all have successes and failures, and even failures within our successes and vice versa. That's just how it is. Keep your eye on the prize of a healthy, happy and long future with your children - you're really on your way.
  • alco1966
    alco1966 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Suger I think you need a hug right now (hug) dont give up girl, stay positive and remember everyone here is here for a reason... you can and will get the weight off... Rome wasnt built in a day.... Iv read through a lot of good advice given to you on here but the rest is up to you..... please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing x
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    OP, you will have the best results if you are consistent and persistent. If you are weighing, measuring and logging ALL of your food, every single day, and staying within a moderate calorie deficit (meaning you eat less than you burn), you WILL lose.

Make small, sustainable changes. Take each day as it comes and make the best choices you can on that particular day and then start the next day over, and then the next day after that, and again and again for the rest of your life.

This looks daunting now, but as you start to create new, healthy sustainable habits, it will get easier and easier.

You CAN still eat everything you love. You just need to weigh it and measure it and log it accurately. Get a food scale so you can accurately weigh your food. If you have some favorite recipes, put them in the recipe builder and figure out the exact calories and how big of a serving that means. If you have favorite restaurants (fast food or otherwise), do some research, look at their menus online, find the nutritional information for your favorite meal choices and know what they are so when you find yourself at that restaurant, you already have an idea of what to order and what it will do to your calorie goal for the day. Read labels and weigh your portions - even if it's pre-packaged! Plan your days and weeks ahead of time and make sure to plan in some of your favorites. Also keep in the back of your mind that even the most well-planned week can turn on a dime. When that happens, it's OK. Make the best choices you can and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back to your plan when you can. One day will not make or break your weight loss efforts. It is your pattern of behavior over time.

Be patient and kind to yourself. This is long road ahead of you and you aren't going to get there overnight. You didn't get to your current weight in only a few short weeks and you won't get to goal that quickly either. It took years of bad habits to get where you are. It will now take a long time of good habits to get you to a healthy weight. As you were gaining, you probably had weeks that you lost. The same will be true as you are losing - there will be weeks that you gain. Keep an eye on your overall trend, not your week to week stats. The overall trend will be much more telling. Losing 5 pounds per week is not sustainable or realistic. You mentioned you were disappointed by "only" losing 10 pounds in 2 weeks. That is a HUGE amount of weight to lose in only 2 weeks and that is not sustainable! Do yourself a favor - never, ever, EVER put the word "only" in front of a loss. Celebrate each and every accomplishment for the success that it is - even if it is an accomplishment that has absolutely nothing to do with the scale. Sometimes the non-scale victories are much harder won than the scale victories and they should be celebrated just as much as the scale victories.

You currently have a prescription for phentermine. Use your time with the drug to practice making better choices and learning to live with eating at a caloric deficit and then get off the pills. They aren't a long-term solution and if you don't learn the good habits before you go off, the statistics show that you will likely gain back anything that you lose with them. They aren't a magic bullet. You still have to put in all the hard work that it takes to lose weight.

Finally, stop mixing red bull and phentermine. They are both stimulants and the mixture really isn't healthy.

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

Now being able to walk around the store is what we call a NSV - non-scale victory :)