I'm stuck

Options

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    suger723 wrote: »
    Most days the only meal I eat is dinner I wake up to my bad habit a Red Bull and my phentermine, then I on my work days I don't eat anything during the day and when I don't know the exact calories I pick the higher option on the lists to make sure I don't pass my intake for the day

You're not eating enough then.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Here are some other helpful reads once you get your intake correct.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Using these tools and with time you will see the changes your looking for.
    It won't happen over night or even in a few weeks, (hey it took you lots of time to get where you are), but with patience and determination you'll see results.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go to the grocery store and get some real food.
    Try pre boiling eggs and have one in the morning.
    Yogurt and fruit
    a slice of bread and peanut butter with a banana.
    Don't rely on a pill, and definitely DO NOT EAT BREAKFAST AT A GAS STATION! The reason you are not losing weight is because you aren't taking it seriously. I believe you want it... now tell your self you're worth it.

• suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    IVE been over weight my whole life born 10lbs 7 oz By first grade I was over 120 lbs by 7th grade I was over 240 as a adult with three kids I was over 500 the days I don't log I honestly don't eat, the days that I log I log as accurately as possible if I am not sure I over shoot it. I was hoping to get some positive vibes here and all I am getting is cut down. I'm not a skinny woman who wants to loose 20 lbs to look good in a black dress I'm a obese mother of three beautiful kids who has decided to make a life change so that I may be with them longer. Everyone in my family is obese yes I don't always eat the correct choices for my diet but I do honestly log. Thanks again for all the negative feelings I guess I'll have to loose this 300+ lbs with out any support group because this is awful
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a long, slow, difficult process that requires a lot of determination, patience and hard work. For people who are really heavy, it can take 2, 3 or even 4 years. There is no way to speed it up, and no magic pills or "fat burners." The sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you will be able to start making the necessary changes to lose weight and be healthier.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone here has cut you down at all. Everyone is giving their honest opinion without a sugarcoat. It's the perception that everyone is against you that hurts, when in fact every person that answered you is trying to help, otherwise they'd have all moved on to the next post.
    Good luck.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh lawd.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    IVE been over weight my whole life born 10lbs 7 oz By first grade I was over 120 lbs by 7th grade I was over 240 as a adult with three kids I was over 500 the days I don't log I honestly don't eat, the days that I log I log as accurately as possible if I am not sure I over shoot it. I was hoping to get some positive vibes here and all I am getting is cut down. I'm not a skinny woman who wants to loose 20 lbs to look good in a black dress I'm a obese mother of three beautiful kids who has decided to make a life change so that I may be with them longer. Everyone in my family is obese yes I don't always eat the correct choices for my diet but I do honestly log. Thanks again for all the negative feelings I guess I'll have to loose this 300+ lbs with out any support group because this is awful

Nobody is being negative here. Almost everyone on this site has come here because they needed to lose some weight. Those that have been the most successful, they've taken it seriously. The thread I linked to gives a very realistic breakdown on how to achieve your goals. But if you're guessing at what you ate - which you are - eyeballing portions, using measuring cups...they still aren't going to be accurate enough.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Look, I'm coming at you with tough love.

Do you want to lose weight or not?

If you do, do it the RIGHT WAY.

Ditch the pills and the excuses. There are literally TONS of people here who have been overweight their whole lives. Me included and no... it wasn't a vanity 20 pounds. So lose the sob story already.

EVERY day is going to be a new day. Eating right is what you do every day, not just when you feel like it.

Get a scale so you can weigh your food. Log accurately every day. EVERY DAY, EVERYTHING you eat.

This isn't hard, you just have to want to do it.

Do you want your kids to see you as a woman who made excuses their whole lives? Or do you want to be someone they can look up to?

It's your choice.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you're interpretting the posts here as "negative." Is it because people aren't supplying you with the names of magical drugs that will instantly shed the amount of weight you would like to lose? That's only because it doesn't exist. Phentermine is the closest thing, and that's only supposed to be a tool to help you get started, as long-term use can cause serious health problems. Drinking a Red Bull while taking Phentermine tells me that overall health may not be your greatest concern, though.

The people here are simply recommending that you take advantage of the boost Phentermine is going to give you by eating a decent diet. No starvation. No overeating. Eating a fair share of carbs, proteins, and good fats. Use the time you're taking the pill to learn how to eat. Otherwise, when you stop taking it, your appetite will return full-blast and you're going to gain back every ounce. (Even better, learn how to do this without the Phen and eliminate your risk of developing a dependency on the pill and problems with your liver.)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. However much you feel like you're logging accurately or even conservatively. However much you feel like you've cut back what you're eating. However discouraged you feel.

Physics, your body, and math don't care about your hopes, dreams, and feelings. If you were eating at a deficit, your weight would be trending downward, even though not linearly. If it's not, you're not.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    pills aren't going to help in the long run, though they may help get you started
    shop and buy whole foods and less processed, there is a nutrient dense food list around here someplace. think high fiber and high protein to stay full longer. it's not that processed foods are bad, but imo I find that I don't stay as full as long.
    and prep. make stuff ahead of time so that when you are in a hurry you have a good option to grab, like an egg :)

no one is being unsupportive here, but excuses will not fly on this forum. excuse free zone.

log everything as best you can. eat at a deficit. you will lose weight

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    OP, my advice to you is simple: stop hating yourself. You deserve to be healthy and happy and to feel good about what you do every day. Taking a ton of drugs that mess with your body and mind is not a loving way to treat yourself (I say this as a former drug abuser). Deliberately inducing binge/starve cycles is harmful to you now and even more so in the future.

Eat nutritious, filling food throughout the day. Keep up with the walking and swimming. Can you talk about why that is not an option you have considered or one that you have ruled out?

If the responses are upsetting you, take some time and then come back and re-read them. It's natural to feel defensive at first but let your emotions calm down and I think you'll see there is a lot of GENUINE AND REAL caring and support coming at you.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

You can't ask for help and insult the people giving you real, healthy advice. It's HARD. We don't deny that. But you have to be willing to put the work in. You're not going to find anyone who will give you an excuse for why your way isn't working because there is more you need to be doing.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    People here are trying to give you good advice; there's no negative feelings intended. You want to be healthy for your children and also teach them how to make healthy choices. In order to do that you need to make more changes in your lifestyle besides taking a pill. Add in more fruits and veggies and cut down on the prepackaged/processed/restaurant foods. There's nothing wrong with eating that kind of stuff-in moderation. Use the MFP tools and set realistic goals and above all be accountable to yourself. Realize that if you ask for advice here you're going to get advice and not a pity party. Negative advice would be someone encouraging you to continue what you are doing-chasing phentermine with red bull and gas station hot dogs.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously eating very low calorie and not losing, I would get a full blood workup from my doctor including TSH,m Free T3 and Free T4. Also, at your weight you can burn a ton of calories just through walking. Higher intensity cardio can come later as you are able. As you are larger, you will have more muscle mass than you might expect, if you can do some weight training as you are losing, you can help preserve some of that muscle mass.

Going to put in my MFP how to here:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey OP! Others have already covered accurate logging, possible water retention due to the prescriptions or time of the month, and the fact that two weeks is not a long enough time period to judge.

I will also note that you have already lost 39lbs!

This is a tremendous loss, a great success, and I am wondering how long it took you to do it?

Is it possible that you are used to progressing at an unrealistically fast pace?

Here are some random things for you to consider!

Use a weight tracking trendline type application to record your weight. It will help you see past water retention due to hormones, sodium, exercise and other natural daily variations.

I am fairly sure that you realize that you will not be able to both lose your weight and maintain your weight loss without making some longer term changes in your life.

These changes will have to do with how much you move around a day and with how much and what you eat.

There is a major difference between not declaring any type of food, or food group, "dirty", "I will never eat it again", and systematically choosing higher calorie, lower volume, for lack of a better word I will use the term "convenience" items as your "GOTO" items.

Based on (the admittedly small sample of) your diary (that I looked at), I can guarantee you that you don't need a drug in order to eat less calories while actually eating a much higher volume of food that will leave you stuffed while losing weight!

As an example, hot dogs clock in at 3, often 4, calories a gram. Chicken breast at about 1.5. You can eat double the quantity for the same calories. Which fills you up!

I am not even going to go much past touching on fruits and vegetables; I don't recall seeing too many in your diary!

Buns add a lot of calories to food, and are definitely something tasty that I would never want to eliminate from the food I eat.

But I can certainly moderate my consumption and eat buns as a semi treat i occasionally enjoy as opposed to a staple.

Most places will lettuce wrap your burger or if you are in a sit down restaurant serve your burger or hot dog open faced.

And, of course, if it has been a long time since you've cooked for yourself from scratch, it is incredible how small changes in the preparation of food can result in a large caloric reduction.

Yesterday I had fish and chips.

A standard order would have been about 2700Cal, a good 800 or so more than my "lightly battered" 1900 Cal version. If I had gone flour only, I would have saved another 700 or so and would have been down in the 1200's!

If I had oven baked the stuff at home, using cooking spray and maybe some butter or olive oil for flavouring, the meal would have ended up under 800 Cal. Including real oven baked fries.

In all three cases I would not have been hungry after I was done eating.

800 to 2700Cal in a single meal.... is half a lb of fat in the one meal.

The tablespoons of oil that deep fried foods abdorb during the cooking process and condiments such as mayonaise, tartar sauce, and salad dressing really add up quite fast!

Anyway. Hopefully this will get you thinking about finding stuff to eat that has less calories AND leaves you just as full (or even fuller) than your current choices do.

BTW, instead of a red bull I am going to have two medium McDonald ice coffees no liquid sugar sub milk today. About 80Cal and $2, for both. That extra 30Cal could go towards a down payment for a piece of chocolate later in the day.....

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing, measuring and logging your food intake? I won't advise you against the pills because I also take them. However, I learned how to log my food correctly and consistently long before I started taking the pills (I started with Phen because I was on an 8-MONTH plateau after losing consistently for 2 1/2 years and there was not any obvious reason for the plateau and my doctor and I made the decision together, after reviewing my food and exercise log and running many blood tests, to try a low dose of the pills to see if it would break the plateau). Whether or not you take pills, you have to eat at a deficit and after you quit taking the pills, you have to be able to sustain that. Use the Phen prescription to have some time to teach yourself healthy eating habits that include a diet that is at a caloric deficit.

Use the Phen as a tool to help you develop good eating habits that will last a lifetime. Understand that this is only a short term tool and you will need to stop sooner rather than later. Do NOT take additional medications or supplements without your doctor's knowledge and approval. That could lead to serious health issues!

Also, weight loss is not linear. You will lose, gain and stay the same from week to week throughout your weight loss. This is NORMAL. 2 weeks is also not a plateau, or really anything to even be concerned about. It is NORMAL. Adjust your expectations and caloric goals to lose between .5 and 2 pounds per week (depending upon how much you have to lose) and your loss will slow as you get closer to goal. Understand that there will be times when you not only stay the same, but you will gain, no matter how "good" you were. This is all part of the process. I have lost a total of 94 pounds so far and am 25 pounds from goal. My weight loss graph looks like a roller coaster with all the ups and downs! However, the overall trend is down. That is what you want to see. Don't judge your success from one week to the next, measure it over a long period of time.

Good luck!

(I started this response a couple hours ago and then got caught up in a meeting, so I apologize if much of this has been said already)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    OP it is very simple and easy
    Start weighing your food...and log it here
    eat around your calorie allowance every day
    When you exercise, eat 50% back of those "earned"

That is how i lost almost 100 pounds...no pills!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Most days the only meal I eat is dinner I wake up to my bad habit a Red Bull and my phentermine, then I on my work days I don't eat anything during the day and when I don't know the exact calories I pick the higher option on the lists to make sure I don't pass my intake for the day

Ugg! mixing Red Bull with Phentermine would make my head spin! Phen is a stimulant and then you are adding a stimulant on top. That really is not a breakfast of champions...

I would consider taking a serious look at your food consumption, record everything you are eating and then take that log and meet with a registered dietician to put together a meal plan of a healthy well-balanced diet that will meet your needs for a calorie deficit. Oh, and I would skip the Red Bull/Phentermine combination! That makes me feel sick just thinking about it!

Continue to do moderate exercise as you feel up to it. The more you do, the more you will be able to do. However, remember that weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. You have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise has other health benefits like improved mood, improved energy, better muscle mass, stronger heart, etc., etc., etc. but you will never be able to out exercise your fork, so start with your food consumption!