I'm stuck

I was doing good on this medicine phentermine and losing weight and now two weeks in a row I haven't lost anything. I'm still watching very closely what I eat, but it's not helping. Can anyone recommend a possible Carb burner or fat blocker that I could take along with my prescription medicine? I have so much weight to lose and it's hard not to get discouraged when I know IVE cut back Sooo much and the scale isn't moving!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    those pills don't do much of anything...even a prescription...

you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight...

weight loss is not linear either...you can go weeks without a loss then whoosh...4lbs gone in one day.

Perhaps open your diary so we can see how your logging is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    If pills worked, we would all be skinny.

Like SexyStef asked, can you open your food diary? Here is the link to do that.

Also, do you use a food scale? Are you near the TOM (as that has huge impacts on water weight, hormones and the happiness of men)? Do you exercise (if so, what is your routine)?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    2 weeks isn't much time. Your body is stll adjusting to the changes. Stick to the diet and the weight will start dropping soon.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure phentermine causes water retention (research this or ask your doctor) which can mask weight loss. You might try drinking a lot of water for a few days to drop the water weight - kinda gross, but my daily goal for water is that by dinnertime my pee is clear...
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I'm sorry but pills just don't work (everyone would be skinny if they did). It worries me that you have a doctor willing to prescribe this stuff. Have you tried logging your food here? It takes awhile to get the hang of how to log accurately but it really does work.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit, not a pill. Can you open your diary?
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Can you open your diary for us to help?
    Are you able to get any exercise?
    I also agree with all of the above.
    It does come in waves.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    suger723 wrote: »
    I was doing good on this medicine phentermine and losing weight and now two weeks in a row I haven't lost anything. I'm still watching very closely what I eat, but it's not helping. Can anyone recommend a possible Carb burner or fat blocker that I could take along with my prescription medicine? I have so much weight to lose and it's hard not to get discouraged when I know IVE cut back Sooo much and the scale isn't moving!

You're already going to get a lot of people saying "Don't take the pills!" So I'll just add my $0.02 in.

Please let your doctor know before mixing ANY other meds (over the counter or otherwise) or supplements with Phentermine. Seriously, that could lead to health issues that you'll never be able to correct.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    the only fat burners you need are Squats and Lunges
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    You don't need meds. You need a calorie deficit. Period.
  • suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    I opened my diary
  • suger723
    With my size I get tired very quickly, I don't do exercise. I do walk alot daily and in the summer months I go swimming almost daily, and not just floating around in the water active swimming at least 30 mind after dinner lately
  • suger723
    Most days the only meal I eat is dinner I wake up to my bad habit a Red Bull and my phentermine, then I on my work days I don't eat anything during the day and when I don't know the exact calories I pick the higher option on the lists to make sure I don't pass my intake for the day
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Start here: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101. Your diary shows missing meals/days, and you've already said you guesstimate a lot. Accurate logging is key to ensuring you're eating the amount you should be to lose weight. The pill won't make you lose anything except money.
  • suger723
    The missing meal isn't not logging it's me not eating
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    suger723 wrote: »
    Most days the only meal I eat is dinner I wake up to my bad habit a Red Bull and my phentermine, then I on my work days I don't eat anything during the day and when I don't know the exact calories I pick the higher option on the lists to make sure I don't pass my intake for the day

You said it all right here.

(1) Red bull and phentermine? I don't even know where to start with that. There are so many reasons that is unhealthy.
    (2) If you're skipping meals, you're not fueling your body properly.
    (3) Youre guessing at intake. You need to log accurately so that you're not just staying under, but so that you know you're not too far under.
    (4) Diet pills don't help. You need a calorie deficit and THATS IT.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Weight loss is not linear. "Fat burners" and "carb blockers" are a waste of money. You are better off drinking coffee. I would focus more on avoiding prepackaged foods which are loaded with salt. Eat fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains (eat around the grocery store, not down the aisles). Eventually you will be off the phentermine so you need to have a diet that can continue your weight loss journey. Hope some of this helps!
  • suger723
    And I don't ever underestimate, like this morning my pill hadn't kicked in yet so on the way to work I got a hotdog for the Gas Station. I picked the highest calories option. But I didn't eat the bun. So I'm actually eating less calories on days I have to guess then what it says all items I eat at home are scanned and accurately calorie counted
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Use a scale and weight everything in grams--and I do mean everything. No 'spoons'', 'pieces', 'cups', just grams. That way, you will get a relatively accurate number on the calories you are consuming and you will know if you are eating a deficit or not. Judging by what's there, I am about 90% sure you are over what you think you are eating by 500 to 1000 calories a day. And as a secondary piece of advice, add veggies, fruits and dairy producst to your food intake at least. You eat a lot of fried and sugary things. Your macros will thank you for some balance :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Still, if you aren't using a food scale to weigh your foods, choosing correct entries, etc., you may be eating more than you think. Two weeks without losing may not mean this is why you aren't losing, but in the long run it does add up.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Whatever you may feel, your logging is very erratic and you are guessing the calories of a lot of what you do log. Some days you don't log at all and I am guessing this is because you are eating more than your goal! Also I think you are assuming that just taking the pills will facilitate the weight loss and this isn't true, as other have said if pills worked we'd all be slim. How did you work out your daily goal? That is a lot of food for someone who doesn't do a lot of exercise. I would suggest inputing all your stats into MFP and setting a moderate goal of 1.5 lbs a week and then log accurately at this level for a month and see what happens. If you do this and you aren't losing then seek more help. I lost 118 lbs seven years ago so I do know how hard it is when you have a lot to lose and it takes a long time for anyone to notice... You need to aim for a calorie deficit and forget the magic pills and potions they are just designed to make your purse lighter... Good luck.