On "ability" (especially athletic)

Options
2»

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    For most people, this is totally true. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My art teacher (a very good teacher) used to say, "They don't ask if a kid has TALENT for math; they just make them do it. With practice, anyone can be competent." The same can be said for art and for athletics. Now, we aren't all going to be full-time mathematicians, but learning the basics of drawing and painting can be enjoyed for a lifetime. And now I find, for fitness too.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    +1
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My art teacher (a very good teacher) used to say, "They don't ask if a kid has TALENT for math; they just make them do it. With practice, anyone can be competent." The same can be said for art and for athletics. Now, we aren't all going to be full-time mathematicians, but learning the basics of drawing and painting can be enjoyed for a lifetime. And now I find, for fitness too.

My art teacher (obviously a very bad teacher) told me I had no artistic talent, so I shouldn't consider a career in the arts. I really wanted to be a graphic artist, but I gave up on my dream thinking I really wouldn't be any good. That one negative comment stuck with me my entire life and I now realize she was dead wrong. I love art and am finally taking some classes to develop my skills. The creativity comes from within, but the mechanics can be learned.

The same is true for physical activity. I was never athletic as a child and never tried to develop those skills because I wasn't a "natural", I was embarrassed to try and fail. After decades of not joining in, I'm finding it can be fun to try new physical activities and you will get better with time and practice. I've been learning to play disc golf and I'm getting pretty good at it. Even older folks can learn new tricks!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't love "beginner's luck". And it's not a contest. Except when it is ... some classes are like that. Some teachers are like that. Either take a different class, use machines at off hours ... or accept yourself for what you are. Easier said that done!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Great post, it should be stickied at the top of the Forum page, permanently. I'm same way, never very athletic, especially at the "quick" sports like basketball, I'm much more of an individual-sport person and even then, I'm still a little slow on the uptick. So knowing that, I pick and choose my exercises for my own enjoyment, I can see myself improving over time, and that's what matters.

Took me about 6 months of paying a trainer to learn a proper squat! But hey, I got it down (and up!).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Agree!

I hope selection and training of phys-ed teachers has improved since I was a kid. At least one of mine was a straight-up sadist, and others weren't much better. They seemed to think snark and bullying were great ways to support physical development :/ I mean really, some kids (those who are like I was) probably could do with a bit of occupational therapy to work towards improved basic movement and coordination. I'm not a parent - is that kind of thing happening now?
  • twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Sweet pup!

Your greyhound is beautiful too! :)