Avocado or Avoca- don't: Are they actually good for you?

Options
RobynSmithIBECHS
RobynSmithIBECHS Posts: 86 Member
I walk into the overheated Walmart and naturally stroll to the over priced, low quality produce section. I look to my left and see the Drosophila ridden fruit and then, being the klutz that I am, walk right into a giant 'EAT MORE MEXICO AVOCADOS' sign which lists all of the good things that avocados can do. They make the little fleshy fruit sound like a weight loss super-hero! I know that they are high in mono-unsaturated fat which is really good for the heart, but can eating too many of the little green guys actually tip the scales in the wrong way?

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Avocados are loaded with fiber and healthy fats. LOVE them!
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    They do have a lot of health benefits and can be fit into any healthy diet. I wouldn't recommend more than one a day though. Avocado by itself is great for you, avocado dip....not so much. Just be wise about it and it's fine. I usually feel pretty full after eating one too, so there's that...
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I live in Avoca...never heard of it being a food tho. I may have to Google that. :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If you eat too many then yes, you'll gain weight as will any food. Avocado's are pretty high in calories but they are awesome, I eat them all the time!! I always go for an avocado as my fat source and to help get some extra potassium since I'm not big on eating bananas.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I put them in my grilled chicken wraps or sometimes make baked avocado "fries" with them.
  • bgtoepfer
    bgtoepfer Posts: 23
    Options
    Eating too much of anything can tip the scales in the wrong direction. I believe avocados are a very nice alternative to mayonnaise on some sandwiches, particularly turkey sandwiches. They add a nice flavor and a healthy portion of essential fats. I also enjoy them wrapped in turkey breast meat with julienned cucumbers and carrots. I have also eaten them alone with a bit of salt and lime juice, yum!
    :drinker:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    they are fantastic. i have a thick slice every morning with my eggs, also love to smear some on sandwiches with turkey/cucumer/tomato. omnomsnoms.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado almost every day! I would do it every day if I planned better!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love avocado and have been eating at least half of one a day. I just cut it up and put a little salt and pepper on it and even some paprika sometimes. It is a great snack in the afternoon here at work. A much better alternative to many of the snacks we have here around work. I am sure like anything else, we have to do it in moderation but I sure do like them!
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love them so much! Eat them in all sorts of things! Replace any mayo you use with mashed avocado, too!

(Though I'd love that baked avocado fries recipe mentioned above! I get all the best avocado recipes from this forum lately!)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I put them in my grilled chicken wraps or sometimes make baked avocado "fries" with them.

Ooh how do you make baked avocado fries!? Sounds good!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Baked avocado fries..hmmm..haven't heard of this. How do you actually do this? I love avacado so finding different alternatives to eating them is nice.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Ooh how do you make baked avocado fries!? Sounds good!

I'd love to know this too!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hey what's wrong with fruit flies?

There's no such thing as super food. Avocados have benefits and drawbacks. Enjoy them like everything in life within moderation and variety.

I will say one thing about avocados I love it is the only acceptable fat that some of these fat scared women will eat.
  • MiawMiawMiaw
    MiawMiawMiaw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drosophila ridden fruit

Love it =P
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Avocado by itself is great for you, avocado dip....not so much.
    Why make a dip? I just cut them in half and smear half on my bun, the other half goes in the fridge. I have also used it as a mayo replacement in a couple different recipes.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM! But like other posters its about the calories in them. Yes they are high in other nutirents, but if you eat to many of the high calorie bundles of creamy goodness you will gain! I love using them in Chocolate cake instead of the oil! You never taste them and they make the cake a little more dense! All around worth i say!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Its a better quality fat than hydrogenated oils and animal fats.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I too want to know how to make the avocado fries!!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    they're delicious. fit them into your macros and eat them.