Avocado or Avoca- don't: Are they actually good for you?

Options

Replies

• FitGirlNani
    FitGirlNani Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Moderation for sure. I think one a day is fine. Sub for mayo in a sandwich for lunch or add in a salad shouldn't be a problem. Same with almonds, olive oil; moderation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Avocado by itself is great for you, avocado dip....not so much.

I completely agree who was the insane white person who came up with this invention adding mayo to avocado for shame!? I think it was a midwestern thing because I only knew about guacamole until my step father from IN ruined a beautiful avocado by putting mayo in it! Shudders I'm still traumatized to this day.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like to add a tbsp or 2 of picante sauce to my avocados for a little bit of kick.
  • SylarsMom
    SylarsMom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything can tip the scales in the wrong direction. I believe avocados are a very nice alternative to mayonnaise on some sandwiches, particularly turkey sandwiches. They add a nice flavor and a healthy portion of essential fats. I also enjoy them wrapped in turkey breast meat with julienned cucumbers and carrots. I have also eaten them alone with a bit of salt and lime juice, yum!
    :drinker:
    [/quote

YUM!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Avocado by itself is great for you, avocado dip....not so much.

I completely agree who was the insane white person who came up with this invention adding mayo to avocado for shame!? I think it was a midwestern thing because I only knew about guacamole until my step father from IN ruined a beautiful avocado by putting mayo in it! Shudders I'm still traumatized to this day.

Yes store bought avocado dip is nasty, however add some chopped tomatoes, jalapeño, red onion, fresh squeezed lemon to avocado and make chunky guacamole out of it and I say yum:). In saying that, I love me some avocado....on sandwiches, in salads, by itself, it's good stuff. High in calories, but well worth the benefits and healthy natural fats....benefits can include lower cholesterol levels and is good for your heart, just don't have 10 a day:)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    they are very good for you...but fairly calorie dense, so fit it into your macros, and enjoy!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Avacados are yummy and make me feel full longer =D I will put some on my sammiches, and I definitely feel fuller way longer than a normal sandwich will last me.

Of course, everything in moderation, though =P Don't eat like 10 in a day. 1 or half of 1 a day would be fine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey what's wrong with fruit flies?

Maybe it's the inability to account for the inevitable eggs and maggots in their food diary? ;P
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    googled the recipe since our friend wasn't coughing it up!! LOL :flowerforyou:

Baked Avocado Fries w/ Cilantro Lemon Dipping Sauce

Ingredients

- 2 avocados
    - 2 eggs, beaten
    - 1 and 1/3 C panko bread crumbs
    - 1 Tsp pepper
    - 1/2 tsp salt
    - 1/4 tsp cumin
    - 5 Tbsp Plain 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt
    - 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    - juice from 1/2 of a lemon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Mix together panko bread crumbs, pepper, salt, and cumin in a medium-sized bowl then set aside.
    3. Cut the avocados in half and then slice them vertically.
    4. Dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumb mixture, then in the beaten egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs again.
    5. Lay on baking sheet covered with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
    6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, checking frequently on status as baking times may vary between ovens.
    7. When done, transfer them to the serving tray of your choosing and serve immediately!

Cilantro Lemon Dipping Sauce

Place the Chobani, cilantro, and lemon juice in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy in texture.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing! I'm trying that this weekend.

I also agree with what PP said, they are good for you, like many fruits and veggies, but take it in moderation! I eat about 1/2 of one every day.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the baked avocado recipe. I hadn't hear of baked avocado fries until today.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I know that they are high in mono-unsaturated fat which is really good for the heart, but can eating too many of the little green guys actually tip the scales in the wrong way?
    If they are, I'm screwed. I eat one every day or split with my wife. We eat them plain right out of the skin.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the fry recipe. That sounds very good.

Avocado question: How do you keep the uneaten portion of an avocado from getting brown so quickly?
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i love avos! I eat a 1/2 of avo a day usually.. I spread 1/4 of an avo with my breakfast on an arnold flax thin bread and a cup of cooked egg whites and spinach.. than save the other half for a salad later..they are AWESOME in a salad!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Avocado question: How do you keep the uneaten portion of an avocado from getting brown so quickly?

Leave the pit in the uneaten half and put in ziplock or wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Still...you're looking at a couple of days tops. No worries for me, I eat half avocado pretty much daily.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    BUMP because im makin those fries YUMYUMYUMMYYUMMERSYUMYUM!
  • mangobed
    mangobed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey what's wrong with fruit flies?

There's no such thing as super food. Avocados have benefits and drawbacks. Enjoy them like everything in life within moderation and variety.

I will say one thing about avocados I love it is the only acceptable fat that some of these fat scared women will eat.

:noway: WOW.....
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

You could also try placing a damp paper towel over the cut end, placing it in a Ziploc bag and keeping in the fridge. Will last a couple days.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado every day. Avocado egg salad is my ultimate favourite lunch. One half avo + 2 hard boiled eggs, mushed up with a tbs of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of curry powder.
  • LouiseDavis65
    LouiseDavis65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying the avocado fries AND that avocado egg salad recipe!!!!