1 month and only 1 kg (2.2 lbs) lost

Options
2»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is true for some people, not from actual weight loss but because reducing carbs can reduce stomach bloat.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, are you walking or running on the treadmill? If you are walking I doubt that you are actually burning 100 calories in 20 minutes unless you are going at a VERY brisk pace.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Have you been weighing your solid foods and measuring your liquids?
    If not, you are probably eating much more than you think you are, could easily be as much as 50% more. so that 1200-1400 may actually be 1800-2100, if not measuring accurately.

Hello Eric, I never weighed my food.I only used measuring cups.Do I need to buy a food weighing machine?Does it really make a difference? Thank you for your advice.

Yes, if you really want to know how much you are eating. Measuring solids with cups can be as much as 50% off, though usually in the range 10-25% off.
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, I am almost positive that you are eating more than your 1200-1400 calorie estimate. You have a lot of generic meal-type entries. If you are just choosing a meal out of the database (all those homemade ones, especially) you really have no idea if it's even close to the meal you're eating as it could have been prepared completely differently. If the person who created that entry used different amounts of oil, milk, protein, etc you could easily be eating way more calories than you think, you know?

A food scale will help for the whole foods you eat, absolutely (weighing out a serving of nuts is much more accurate than using a measuring cup and can save you a ton of calories, for example) but if you aren't preparing your own dinners (you mentioned your mom - do you live at home still?) it is going to be a lot more difficult to count your meals accurately and is almost certainly why you're not losing as much as you expected.

Thank you again for taking your time to help me.Yes, I live with my parents and we always make food at home.You are right, there is no definite way to know about the calories in homemade food.So my best bet should be to get a food scale? I will get one if that helps, hopefully it will solve my problem. :)
  • bhanvi
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    OP, are you walking or running on the treadmill? If you are walking I doubt that you are actually burning 100 calories in 20 minutes unless you are going at a VERY brisk pace.

Hello :) I walk at the speed of 4 , which almost feels like jogging but not so much that I could call it running. The treadmill shows I have burnt 100 calories , do you think it could be wrong?I was just relying on treadmill's numbers.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Hakeber wrote: »
    cutting down on carbs will help flatten your tummy.

Hello.... :) I am actually vegetarian.So it's hard to reduce a lot of carbs :(
  • Adrobins
    Adrobins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    - Speak with your doctor first

Hello Bhanvi,

I don't know what your current weight is, but don't give up. Losing weight, even if just a little, is better than not at all or gaining weight.

I would suggest you walk outside, on different paths, for at least 1h everyday. There are no miracles to losing weight. Eat well, and be more active. And love yourself.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Adrobins wrote: »
    - Speak with your doctor first

Hello Bhanvi,

I don't know what your current weight is, but don't give up. Losing weight, even if just a little, is better than not at all or gaining weight.

I would suggest you walk outside, on different paths, for at least 1h everyday. There are no miracles to losing weight. Eat well, and be more active. And love yourself.

Thank you so much for your positivity. :) You are absolutely right.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You can get a good digital food scale for not a lot of money. There's also a function on MFP that lets you enter recipes and it will help you calculate what calories are in something. It's not an exact science, but it gets you much closer to what you're eating, especially if you weigh the ingredients as well as what a normal serving for you would be. This way, eating at home you can still be accurate. I don't weigh food as much anymore, but that's because I tend to eat the same things and I've now trained myself to what a normal serving is SUPPOSED to look like. This means it's already in my food list and while it's not 100% accurate, it's close enough for me. But when I started, I had to weigh EVERYTHING and keep very careful count. Over time, you don't have to be as exact if you don't want to, but when you're starting out, you have to watch everything very carefully.

Also like to add exercise is good. Not really for losing weight, but it can help in other ways, like strengthening your heart and lungs. Probably 95% of my weight loss was just with calories, no exercise. As long as you're weighing your food and being accurate on your calories, that's going to be the biggest key to losing weight.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    You can get a good digital food scale for not a lot of money. There's also a function on MFP that lets you enter recipes and it will help you calculate what calories are in something. It's not an exact science, but it gets you much closer to what you're eating, especially if you weigh the ingredients as well as what a normal serving for you would be. This way, eating at home you can still be accurate. I don't weigh food as much anymore, but that's because I tend to eat the same things and I've now trained myself to what a normal serving is SUPPOSED to look like. This means it's already in my food list and while it's not 100% accurate, it's close enough for me. But when I started, I had to weigh EVERYTHING and keep very careful count. Over time, you don't have to be as exact if you don't want to, but when you're starting out, you have to watch everything very carefully.

Also like to add exercise is good. Not really for losing weight, but it can help in other ways, like strengthening your heart and lungs. Probably 95% of my weight loss was just with calories, no exercise. As long as you're weighing your food and being accurate on your calories, that's going to be the biggest key to losing weight.

Hello :) Thanks a lot for such an elaborated answer.I think it's a good idea to get the food scale.I was scared it's going to be too pricy but you cleared my doubt.And wow did you really lose weight just by eating well? That's amazing.I was really upset with myself for not working out so much,I thought that was the reason I only lost 1 kg but thank you for correcting my misconception. :) I am now going to make accurate food entries.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If not, you are probably eating much more than you think you are, could easily be as much as 50% more. so that 1200-1400 may actually be 1800-2100, if not measuring accurately.

Hello Eric, I never weighed my food.I only used measuring cups.Do I need to buy a food weighing machine?Does it really make a difference? Thank you for your advice.

yes it makes a different :)

Look at this short video for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm down 34.6kg in a few days over 6 months. I don't credit exercise with much/any of it. I do credit the digital food scale though :-)
  • bhanvi
    Options

yes it makes a different :)

Look at this short video for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Woooaaahhh..!! *_* I would have never thought that scaling would make such a drastic difference.Thank you a million times. ♡
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ;)

you got it

Start weighing EVERYTHING
  • bhanvi
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I'm down 34.6kg in a few days over 6 months. I don't credit exercise with much/any of it. I do credit the digital food scale though :-)

Omg..!! That is exactly my gial weight loss rate.Congratulations to you. ♡ And thank you for inspiring me.Did you just followed the 1200 calories diet plan and nothing special? Your weight loss is really amazing. :)
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to create recipes on here too, especially if you tend to eat the same foods like our family does. Load it once and it is ready to go each time you eat it.

I'll give you 1 tip I found helpful - log all spices, garlic, onion, broth, etc ... those little things that we don't think add up. I've been eatin 1700 calories and normally don't eat my exercise points and I've lost 7 pounds in 3 months - which is great for me as I have thyroid and adrenal issues! I do exercise, but nothing hardcore as I'm nursing a back injury. Usually just walking 10 to 12,000 steps per day through the course of my day.

Don't think you have to starve to lose weight, just find what works for you over time, but your mom is right - as long as you are losing you are doing the right thing.