Zyrtec effecting goals

Options
Who also takes Zyrtec for allergies and do you feel like it interferes with your goals or weight loss? I weighed less before I started taking Zyrtec....probably about 115 lbs, now I weigh about 124 lbs and finding it a struggle to get back to where I was. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about it.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Are you....eating the Zyrtec for dinner?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How would an allergy medicine interfere with weight loss?

There's nothing on it's "official" list of side effects that's remotely related to anything (appetite, metabolism, etc) that could potentially affect weight loss, and those lists tend to include every single thing.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Who also takes Zyrtec for allergies and do you feel like it interferes with your goals or weight loss? I weighed less before I started taking Zyrtec....probably about 115 lbs, now I weigh about 124 lbs and finding it a struggle to get back to where I was. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about it.

It's not the ceterizine, trust me. I'm on a double dose of ceterizine to treat urticaria pigmentosa (I'm covered in itchy freckles, basically), and I have been for over 3 years. The weight comes and goes based on whether or not I'm in a calorie deficit.

While weight gain is listed with hundreds of other adverse events, no causal relationship has been established.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Nope, Zyrtec hasn't made me gain weight... only food has had that effect on me.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I'm on Zyrtec (daily) and have been losing. I do have an energy problem though. It constantly makes me drowsy - and admittedly, this has affected a couple of workouts. I believe that's the only weight-related side effect I've ever experienced from it though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I take a high dose of Benadryl I get VERY hungry. Ravenously hungry.

Zyrtec hasn't had an impact that I've noticed.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

huh?

No. Zyrtec doesn't affect weight loss, and I've taken it for years.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not suggesting the science in this article is accurate or not, but it was at least mentioned in a pseudo-science setting. I take Zyrtec every day all year and haven't noticed any issues with weight loss.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/allergy-side-effects

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wha??
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking Zyrtec daily for several years. Ive lost 80 pounds since December. If anything I would expect a lil more hyperactivity.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think its the Zyrtec.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    I'm certainly not suggesting the science in this article is accurate or not, but it was at least mentioned in a pseudo-science setting. I take Zyrtec every day all year and haven't noticed any issues with weight loss.

Huh - Well, it is in a "pseudo-science" setting, but at least they're responsible enough to admit that any possibility of weight gain while taking the drug has to do with an increased appetite and not some magical metabolism-killing reaction.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »

Google failed me....I searched 'zyrtec side effects' and never came across anything remotely suggesting anything that would affect weight.

Still...color me skeptical.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec (and any other decongesting type of medication) makes my head loopy and actually curbs my appetite. I find I have a hard time eating at all when I'm dosed up with it. Then again, when I have to take it, I'm generally feeling miserable anyway.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! I was really curious to know how it may have affected others, if at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Medications can increase appetite. Eating too much makes one gain weight.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the way zyrtec affects you maybe switch to Flonase? I used to take zyrtec but found that Flonase works better for my allergies. Since you spray it up your nose it definitely shouldn't affect your eating.

I will say though, that when my nose is stuffy (like with allergies) I lose my sense of taste and tend to eat very salty or spicy foods which can make you bloated. Maybe something like that is happening to you?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only way it affects me is if I don't take it and I get all itchy and sneezy. I sometimes retain extra water when my allergies act up.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I take it for hives, so I really can't stop taking it or else I breakout for unknown reasons. i have been weight training with youtube videos going on my second month and the scale hasn't budged. i am 39 year old female and I find it a lot harder to lose weight at this age. I'm really just trying to lose 9-10 lbs. I haven't done much cardio and was focusing mainly on strength training because I am more of what I like to call a skinny fat person and I have read that weight training would help. Maybe I just need to tweak some things. I'm currently eating around 1200 calories per day.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I take it for hives, so I really can't stop taking it or else I breakout for unknown reasons. i have been weight training with youtube videos going on my second month and the scale hasn't budged. i am 39 year old female and I find it a lot harder to lose weight at this age. I'm really just trying to lose 9-10 lbs. I haven't done much cardio and was focusing mainly on strength training because I am more of what I like to call a skinny fat person and I have read that weight training would help. Maybe I just need to tweak some things. I'm currently eating around 1200 calories per day.

You should make sure your settings are accurate in MFP, use the goals page to set your weight loss goal, and then make sure you don't go over the calorie limit it provides. Weigh your food instead of estimating it and make sure you're logging everything you eat. Once you are consistently and accurately logging, and maintaining your calorie deficit, the weight will come off. Weight control is strictly about calories in vs. calories out. Good luck!