Working back from injuries

Options
There is no feeling more ego shattering than coming back to the gym after a year recovery from a fall only to find you've lost 100 lbs or more on all the major lifts. Anyone else have experience with similiar, how long does it take to recover that lost strength? And yes, I've been fully cleared for whatever level of activity I want to partake in. :):grumble:

Replies

• kenkoger7
    kenkoger7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from ankle surgery. Not able to lift yet but I am cycling daily.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I have an impinged shoulder joint and after 3 months of physical therapy am finally beginning to do upper body work again. I was surprised that I still had good strength, but if I overdo, I really pay for it the next day. I can't do as many reps, and I also need a minimum of one rest day in between.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    8 upper body orthopedic surgeries in the last 6 years plus a bout of sepsis that just about killed me. Lots of practice coming back.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never had that much of an injury time off, nor do I lift as much as you did previous, but it took me about a month to get back the strength losses from a 6 week injury break.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    8 broken ribs puts you down for the count.. or at least for a good long while! Guess we shall find out how long it takes to get the lifts back. sigh
  • naumanaxo
    naumanaxo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hope your okay
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your gains will probably be quick in the beginning. I'm sure it is super frustrating but measure your progress not where you are. And be thankful that you healed enough to be back in the weight room. Small victories bruh.

Best of luck
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And yes, I've been fully cleared for whatever level of activity I want to partake in. :)

Then be grateful and happy that you have nothing standing in the way of progress but time :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say but it will take a bit. When I hurt my hip it took me about a full year to match my previous squat PR. Another year and I'm around 100lbs higher than that previous mark.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the nature of the injury, how trained you were prior to the injury, and how long you took off from working out. The good thing is that trained muscle responds faster; you'll get your noob gains again and you'll also probably exceed where you were in less time than it took you to get there initially.

I've had to do this twice. Once with a cut tendon in my foot, the other with a partial patellar dislocation. It took me about 6 months to get back to where I was both times, because I am younger than Dope.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I was lucky in that the breaks were clean and healed up quickly.. I was out for a year but I seem to have only lost significantly on bench press and my overhead work. DLs and the lower chains seem to be just fine. i'll get back to where I was, just was in a whiney mood and didn't have anywhere else to vent. Thanks for the support ladies and gents! :smiley: