Is Sugar Toxic?

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    McKeithNigella_n.jpg

Okay, I just have to say you can't compare a woman who is chilling in her back yard to someone who is all done up in movie make up looking like they're heading down the red carpet. Just to be fair, let's have a movie magic team doll the other woman up too.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    McKeithNigella_n.jpg

Okay, I just have to say you can't compare a woman who is chilling in her back yard to someone who is all done up in movie make up looking like they're heading down the red carpet. Just to be fair, let's have a movie magic team doll the other woman up too.

mckeith.jpg

I'm ALL for Nigella! She's not really a red carpet type, and not in the movies, she's just incredibly beautiful (and doesn't deprive her skin of natural oils and fats needed for that gorgeous glow).

Gillian Mckeith STILL doesn't compare, even in red carpet make up. She looks at peoples' poo to decide on their diet regime. A bit batty if you ask me :s
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    mckeith.jpg

I'm ALL for Nigella! She's not really a red carpet type, and not in the movies, she's just incredibly beautiful (and doesn't deprive her skin of natural oils and fats needed for that gorgeous glow).

Gillian Mckeith STILL doesn't compare, even in red carpet make up. She looks at peoples' poo to decide on their diet regime. A bit batty if you ask me :s

I think that's a much better comparison though. She looks great in that picture if you ask me. Maybe not AS pretty, but I would say A LOT closer.

See people? Extremes are not your friend.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

sugar does not cause diabetes.

Not in moderation. But what it does is creates a cycle that will burn out the body's insulin response, causing a person to be unable to create enough insulin to stay healthy. Sort of like Crystal Meth burns out the dopamine receptors in the brain due to a dopamine overload when on meth.

We haven't evolved enough to handle the large amount of sugar in the SAD.

Amphetamines do not destroy the receptors in your brain. Yes, it can temporarily alter the chemicals in your brain (especially in children), but they do not permanently destroy the receptors. That is drug war propaganda.

A much worse problem with amphetamines is the drop in serotonin levels. It can take up to a week to bring your levels back up after only one night of binging on meth. But again, it isn't permanent.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    from my research sugar in itself is not a bad thing the problem it's just energy is the the amount we eat
    it's everywhere - i couldn't find a salad in the supermarket with out sugar in it!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It wasn't called Sugar Diabetes for nothing...

it was called that because the doctors at that time didn't understand the cause of diabetes. They called it that because people had a high blood sugar count, not because they ate too much sugar. But, hey, don't ever let scientific stuff get in the way of good posts on social media sites.
    Don't let the fact that adult onset, oh wait, type 2 diabetes is skyrocketing along with the consumption of sugar and refined carbohydrates. And that the best treatment for diabetes is a low carb diet.

Is it the only factor? Probably not but don't kid yourself -- sugar matters.

The best treatment for type two prediabetes for me was to lose weight. I didn't have to give up sugar 100%. I had to lose weight. My numbers started getting better. Still ate sugar.
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sugar is apparently as toxic as cocaine. Only difference is that refined sugar is readlily available, and if it became against the law, many companies would go bankrupt. I have started to do some research and reading, and refined sugar is deadly.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar is apparently as toxic as cocaine. Only difference is that refined sugar is readlily available, and if it became against the law, many companies would go bankrupt. I have started to do some research and reading, and refined sugar is deadly.

Well I'd continue to do some more research, since right now it sounds like you're wearing a tinfoil hat.

BTW rats and mice aren't humans
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Pure cocaine is so toxic they have to cut it. are they cutting sugar now? Must've missed that one.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've noticed me getting off my face on a teaspoon of sugar - unable to concentrate, hyperactive, sweating, pupils dilated.

Sugar is not toxic - I do not deny that too may of us have too much sugar in our diet than is necessary and high levels of fructose can exacerbate some illnesses and medical conditions in humans, but please be sensible. To make such a spurious claim based on anecdotal evidence is just scaremongering nonsense.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    the study on rats that i think you are miss quoting is that in rat ( or mice not sure and as i'm on a tea break don't have time to check)
    sugar produced addictive symptoms and withdrawal in a similar manner and level as cocaine!
    but obviously i am not a mind reader

generally IMO ( and not in reply to any poster)
    if you eat too much sugar it is processed by the liver and converted to fat and modern western diet tends to be high in sugar as well as fat. excess of either is 'toxic' as it will cause bad effects in the body especially if in addition you are deficient in other marcro and micro nutrients bad things will ( eventually) happen in your body

but also consider if you eat to many carrots you may overload your bodies ability to deal with vitamin A. selemium is a key mineral but it's alos poisonous in large quantities. etc

i.e. the Nigella photo above which compares extremes of one woman made up and one in a jungle) Nigella may be a full fat cook but she does cook meals from scratch with no added hidden processed sugar, preservative and strange chemicals!

and if you follow the dubious source of the mail ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2065733/Nigella-Lawson-weight-loss-secret-revealed-James-Duigan-Bodyism-Clean-Lean-plan.html

she has been sugar free to loose weight!!
    as said dubious source and much controversy will probably ensue!
  • SeanAlanWright
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I

This video really sheds some light on that study.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I

I found that this video is the best analysis of that study.

^ This is a very good video. I was going to post this but since there's foul language some people may get offended/etc.

Regardless, Alan Aragon will pretty much always give a no-BS and objective look at data without leaping to any conclusions. I definitely recommend that people check out his material.

Here's an article he did prior to the above video, also about Lustig:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • SeanAlanWright
    Options
    Ah, definitely.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Great! My coke habit has took all my money, this'll be cheaper.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Let us know how it works for ya :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Pure cocaine is so toxic they have to cut it. are they cutting sugar now? Must've missed that one.

They don't cut cocaine because of its toxicity. They cut it to make more money. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

They don't cut cocaine because of its toxicity. They cut it to make more money. :wink:

Hmm. Maybe want to read a bit more on that. Pure coke isn't sellable.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    McKeithNigella_n.jpg

What case is that exactly? That you can judge a woman's health by her appearance? Or that being conventionally attractive is the most important thing and you should tailor your diet accordingly? I expect to see a lot of ridiculous arguments anytime sugar is brought up, but this one is probably the most ridiculous (and sexist) that I've seen.

(And to anyone planning to respond that I shouldn't be so sensitive, should have a sense humor, etc., save it. Those arguments are as bankrupt as the one you were trying to make with your cut and paste job here).