Wheat Belly?

Options

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'd thought about lowering my gluten intake because I heard that gluten can assist in inflammation. I have joint issues and carpal tunnel syndrome, but... I CANT STOP I love gluten.

Edited: By assist in inflammation, I mean in the negative sense, just in case anyone wondered. Not sure if it's true, but I don't think I'm willing to cut it out to see...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I'd thought about lowering my gluten intake because I heard that gluten can assist in inflammation. I have joint issues and carpal tunnel syndrome, but... I CANT STOP I love gluten.

I keep a 25 lb bag of gluten in my kitchen at all times. I respect those with intolerances, but I'm not about to stop... it's a great protein source.

*edited to remove double quote
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I keep a 25 lb bag of gluten in my kitchen at all times. I respect those with intolerances, but I'm not about to stop... it's a great protein source.

Where do you get 25 pound bags? I'm always buying the tiny bags and running out between grocery store trips. I need a barrel of gluten!
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Where do you get 25 pound bags? I'm always buying the tiny bags and running out between grocery store trips. I need a barrel of gluten!

I work for the corporate office of a grocery chain... I have the bulk buyers purchase it for me from bakery product distributors and then purchase it from them at cost plus 20%. It's a good deal.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I work for the corporate office of a grocery chain... I have the bulk buyers purchase it for me from bakery product distributors and then purchase it from them at cost plus 20%. It's a good deal.

Wow, what great luck. I work for a major retailer and get a discount on my food . . . but just the little bags of gluten. That's like, less than a week of seitan!

(Disclosure: I really, really love seitan).
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Dude: Costco, where everything comes in standard serving sizes like 25lb bags and pallets:)
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Wow, what great luck. I work for a major retailer and get a discount on my food . . . but just the little bags of gluten. That's like, less than a week of seitan!

(Disclosure: I really, really love seitan).

Me too. I make about 4lbs a week and generally consume about 200-300 grams per day. I haven't lately because I travel for work, but yes... it's my protein source of choice simply for density and protein content.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Dude: Costco, where everything comes in standard serving sizes like 25lb bags and pallets:)

We have a tiny apartment, so my husband is very resistant to joining. He's afraid I'll fill the place with cheap paper towels and giant bags of gluten (and he's probably right).
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options

We have a tiny apartment, so my husband is very resistant to joining. He's afraid I'll fill the place with cheap paper towels and giant bags of gluten (and he's probably right).

He's totally right. Speaking from a place of 864 sqft and almost no closets or storage outside kitchen cabinets and the under the sink area of the ONE bathroom. I would LOVE to buy in bulk to save money, but where am I supposed to keep stuff? We don't even have a pantry, so we keep all the dry food on the bookshelf. And those mattress sized things of TP and Paper towels.... I suppose I'd have to hang them from the ceiling or something...

ETA: But you cannot beat costco prices for coffee, coffeemate creamer, and 18 eggs. Where else can you get 18 eggs for $3.19? And ground beef. But I stopped getting that cause it only comes in 85% at my local.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

He's totally right. Speaking from a place of 864 sqft and almost no closets or storage outside kitchen cabinets and the under the sink area of the ONE bathroom. I would LOVE to buy in bulk to save money, but where am I supposed to keep stuff? We don't even have a pantry, so we keep all the dry food on the bookshelf. And those mattress sized things of TP and Paper towels.... I suppose I'd have to hang them from the ceiling or something...

You answered your own question... why have a mattress when you can have a mattress sized thing of tp or paper towels. ROFL
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

You answered your own question... why have a mattress when you can have a mattress sized thing of tp or paper towels. ROFL

Lol right? WE MUST HOARD THE TP FOR WHEN THE ZOMBIES COME BANE!!!

Back to the OP, trying hard not to derail, we keep getting into the gluten thing, and i've been reading this wheat belly thing for a while now and the doctor who wrote the book has no problem with gluten by itself, and he in fact does NOT recommend trading wheat based stuff in for gluten-free products. He's more of the "swear off all wheat of any kind" thing. Hence his requirement for only grass-fed meat.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Wait, what are bags of gluten for? I have never had seitan. What do you use with it? I have never tried it because I didn't know what to do with it
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Fast-forward to 2002, when an overweight pediatrician named Stephen Sondike finally decided to do something about his weight. Bucking conventional medical wisdom and risking the disapproval of his conservative colleagues, Sondike tried a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet much like the one Banting tried 150 years earlier.
    The weight melted off.
    Sondike ran every possible blood test on himself and found—quite contrary to the expectations of his colleagues—that everything had improved.
    Encouraged, he decided to design a study to test scientifically what he had observed in his own life. He took a group of overweight adolescent boys and assigned them to one of two dietary conditions. Group one was put on the traditional low-fat diet. Group two went on a low-carb diet much like the one that worked for Sondike.
    Here’s what happened …
    After 12 weeks, the group eating the conventional low-fat diet had lost an average of 8.5 pounds. However, the group eating the low-carb diet lost 19 pounds!
    Moreover, the low-fat group had consumed an average of 1100 calories day while the low-carb group had consumed 1803.
    Sondike, S.B., Copperman, N., and M.S. Jacobsen. 2003. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Medicine. 142(3): 253–8

I work with scientific models designed for animal nutrition on a daily basis. I can run a diet through a biological model that mimics a human and see the results. That experience as well as my own application of this low carb approach on my own lifestyle prove out the approach.

This has been around for a long, long time.

As long as you're in a calorie deficit, it works. Now do low carb and eat in a surplus.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Now do low carb and eat in a surplus.
    I don't pay attention to the calories at all only carbs. Looking back, I'm running somewhere between 2200-3000 calories per day and have recently plateaued at my current weight and 16% body fat.
    During the work week I have a shake for breakfast to start my day:
    • Shake 240 cal
    • Raw Egg 75 cal
    • 8 oz heavy cream 800 cal
    • Carbs 3 g

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to the calories at all only carbs. Looking back, I'm running somewhere between 2200-3000 calories per day and have recently plateaued at my current weight and 16% body fat.
    • Shake 240 cal
    • Raw Egg 75 cal
    • 4 oz heavy cream 800 cal
    • Carbs 3 g

What kind of cream are you drinking with 800 calories in half a cup? For 4oz heavy cream shouldn't be 800 calories.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/51/2
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    • Shake 240 cal
    • Raw Egg 75 cal
    • 4 oz heavy cream 800 cal
    • Carbs 3 g

What kind of cream are you drinking with 800 calories in half a cup? For 4oz heavy cream shouldn't be 800 calories.

that's the problem when people aren't counting calories. When estimating happens, they're often wildly inaccurate. If numbers are off like this across the board, it's obvious that numbers are not nearly as high as estimated, hence the calorie deficit and weight loss.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »

My bad. That should have been 8 oz.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The reason that your friend lost so much weight is because of the calorie deficit. Cutting out a food group without replacing those calories by bumping up another food group leads to a calorie deficit, which leads to weight loss.

...... or not. Low carb has been around since before the calorie unit was even implemented.
    MYTH #1: YOU MUST COUNT CALORIES TO LOSE WEIGHT
    Back in the 1800s there was a very fat man named William Banting who thought he was going deaf.
    Banting was a prosperous 66-year-old London undertaker who was so rotund he couldn’t tie his own shoelaces. At 5’5” and 202 pounds (!) he was so fat he had to walk downstairs backwards. In August 1862 Banting took himself to see a doctor named William Harvey, who promptly figured out that Banting’s problem wasn’t deafness; it was obesity.
    His fat was pressing on his inner ear!
    Dr. Harvey took a look at Banting’s diet, which was heavily laden with bread, sugar, pastries and beer, and put him on a diet of meat. Instead of starting the day with sugared tea and toast, Banting now started the day with 5 or 6 ounces of beef, mutton, kidneys, bacon or broiled fish. He stopped eating potatoes and pastry. He still consumed some carbs, but only a fraction of the amount he had been consuming previously.
    The calorie as a unit of measurement hadn’t been invented yet, but we know now that on the meat-centered diet Banting was consuming close to 2800 calories, which is a lot.
    He lost over 50 pounds in 6 months.
    Postscript: He kept the weight off and lived comfortably till the age of 81.

Well, this is finally an appropriate example of a strawman.
    I don't know of anyone claiming you have to count calories to lose weight, but even without knowing what they are, your body does count them to the extent that you'll only lose weight when you eat less than you absorb. Science describes the natural world that already exists, it doesn't suddenly make the world work a certain way.

Also, the calorie as a unit of measure was establised in 1824, so citing William Banting as the beginning of low carb doesn't demonstrate that claim. Like others have said, low carb introduces a calorie deficit. Banting wasn't eating 2800 calories consistently unless he was using more than 2800 calories a day - which might not be a preposterous claim given the amount of manual labor a person in the 1800s had to do. Heck, I work a desk job but for the last 7 days, my average calorie burn estimate is 2954, which would mean I'd still lose weight on the Banting diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    • Shake 240 cal
    • Raw Egg 75 cal
    • 8 oz heavy cream 800 cal
    • Carbs 3 g

And you are a male? Age? Do you exercise?
  • DaddieCat
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wait, what are bags of gluten for? I have never had seitan. What do you use with it? I have never tried it because I didn't know what to do with it

Bags of Gluten are for making seitan. The main ingredient in seitan is wheat gluten. Other than that it's some broth, spices, whatever you want to put in that won't inhibit the binding of the gluten during preparation. Seitan is commonly referred to as "wheat meat". It's a protein source that can be made in many textures and prepared in practically any way you would prepare other forms of protein depending on how you prepare it. Many people simply swap it out for other protein sources in recipes. I often just prepare it and eat it. you can do whatever you want.

Here's some starter recipes for you if you're interested. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewg5/29-*kitten*-kicking-recipes-for-homemade-seitan-dst2#.pqa8277YO

There are so many others or make up your own.

Good luck.

*edited to add the bit to fix the link but then it fixed itself