Ketogenic diet anyone?

Options
I have started two days ago and I am failing big time lol I am constantly under goal with fat and over with my protein and little bit of carbs.
Is there anyone on here experienced on this diet?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is there any medical reason why you're following a ketogenic diet?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Does there need to be?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Does there need to be?

No. It's just that if you're finding a diet particularly hard to stick to, it might not be an optimal choice. That is all.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    I just find it odd that the first thing you ask is someone's medical history when they're asking about hitting their macros....
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that the first thing you ask is someone's medical history when they're asking about hitting their macros....

If the OP doesn't have a medical reason to be on a keto diet and is struggling with it, I think he is implying that it would be easier to stick to CICO. A keto diet is not necessary for weight loss. If the OP has a medical reason to be on this diet, then that's different. It's a perfectly valid question.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It's a valid question. Some people low-carb because they're told it's the "right" thing to do, others are prescribed this diet by their doctor for medical reasons.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ok.

If the OP has a hard time hitting their macros, then what'd be the point in following a diet where you constantly struggle? I'm also wondering if OP thinks that low carbing is the only way to lose weight.

If OP had a medical reason which required a ketogenic diet, then I'd completely understand.

I just find it odd that you didn't think about that.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What's your net carb goal? If you previously were eating 200-300 carb grams per day, suddenly switching to 20 can be tough for your body and brain. Maybe you could try easing into it? Like aim for 100 carbs per day for a week. And then 50 carbs per day for a week?

Have you consulted with a doctor to find out what kind of weight loss plan they recommend for you?
  • bluefish86
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

If the OP doesn't have a medical reason to be on a keto diet and is struggling with it, I think he is implying that it would be easier to stick to CICO. A keto diet is not necessary for weight loss. If the OP has a medical reason to be on this diet, then that's different. It's a perfectly valid question.

Not really... it would be like someone posting that they're struggling to stay under their calorie allowance and then being questioned if a doctor told them they needed to lose weight. It's really none of your business.

The question was "Is there anyone on here experienced on this diet?".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Does there need to be?

No. It's just that if you're finding a diet particularly hard to stick to, it might not be an optimal choice. That is all.

Fair enough I suppose. I see the same thing with calorie counting as the means to the end. Or macro counting...
    Granted, no one asks if there's a medical reason for that usually.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Not really... it would be like someone posting that they're struggling to stay under their calorie allowance and then being questioned if a doctor told them they needed to lose weight. It's really none of your business.

Stop derailing the thread.

OP if you could open your diary that'd be great.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have started two days ago and I am failing big time lol I am constantly under goal with fat and over with my protein and little bit of carbs.
    Is there anyone on here experienced on this diet?

Do a google search for myfitnesspal keto there are several active groups with experienced keto dieters and low carbers. Beyond that, sorry, I don't have any experience with keto.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, there is a keto group on here which is very helpful and has been great for motivation for me! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto :)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Apples and oranges. We're not trying to be nosy so much as debunking the myth that low-carb diet is a good weight loss tool. We're trying to get at the motivation for doing it because many of us have experience with it and know it's not useful or necessary in weight loss.

OP, yes I do have experience with this. I maintained a keto diet when I was younger under the supervision of a doctor. What is your reasoning for macro control?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited July 2015
    Options

Apples and oranges. We're not trying to be nosy so much as debunking the myth that low-carb diet is a good weight loss tool. We're trying to get at the motivation for doing it because many of us have experience with it and know it's not useful or necessary in weight loss.

OP, yes I do have experience with this. I maintained a keto diet when I was younger under the supervision of a doctor. What is your reasoning for macro control?

So much wrong with this post.
    YES. It's a good weight loss tool. YES it can be useful.
    That it wasn't useful for you (or me, actually, for weight loss) doesn't make it not a good tool.

• kk_inprogress
    Options

That it wasn't useful for you (or me, actually, for weight loss) doesn't make it not a good tool.

It was VERY useful for me, for controlling my high cholesterol. What's your research base that it's a good weight loss tool?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It was VERY useful for me, for controlling my high cholesterol. What's your research base that it's a good weight loss tool?

pubmed.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

pubmed.

+1
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    OP, do your research into this diet and consult a doctor. I take back what I said about it working or not- that's based on personal experience. Just make sure you know what the possible side effects are and that your doctor is on board.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OP - I agree with the other posters. If you're having a hard time sticking to keto, then there is no reason why you can't try another approach. As long as you are eating less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. There are many different approaches to achieve this - keto is just one approach that some people find easier to stick to. There isn't anything special about keto other than the fact that for some people, it may be more satiating due to the higher fat macro goals.