Any successful weight loss just following fitness pal's recommend calories

Options
Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yup.The first 35 lb. was just eating MFP's recommended calories with no exercise because I couldn't physically do any. Later I started exercising and eating back 75% of earned exercise calories:

58841349.png
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you for the advice, I'm hoping it works 14lb to lose but it's stubborn.. After trying different types of diets, I just need reassurance that this will work. Fingers crossed
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn will work. It can't not.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss earlnabby! That's amazing
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Ok thank you for the advice, I'm hoping it works 14lb to lose but it's stubborn.. After trying different types of diets, I just need reassurance that this will work. Fingers crossed

The weighing, measuring, and logging is the biggest advantage of MFP. You can see exactly how much you are eating and get a sense of proper serving sizes. It is also great for the macro breakdown. Knowing just how balanced (or not) your diet is also helps you make better choices.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

what do you mean by change

I follow MFP guidelines

Eat the amount it gives me
    Plus eat half of my exercise calories back

(lost 54 lbs been in maintenance since feb)
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    I agree I'm finding it so helpful, I didn't realise how much I was eating until I started storing it on here, it feels good to have some control over my diet. Makes me feel positive knowing I'm doing something about it.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss earlnabby! That's amazing

Thank you. MFP works, if you use it the way it was intended. More than anything, get a kitchen scale (if you don't already have one) and weigh all of your solid and semi solid (like peanut butter) foods and measure liquids. Log everything you eat.

(OK, full and fair disclosure: I don't log chewing gum and the couple of grinds of pepper I put on my eggs. I also eyeball my 2 cups of mixed greens when I make a salad, but I do weigh my cherry tomatoes)

• Littleowl101
    Options
    Congrats rabbitjb on your weight loss, that's fab. What I mean by change is should I add more to the amount of physical activity I do or will I still lose weight by just continuing my normal fitness regime and lower my calories to the amount MFP recommends.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Congrats rabbitjb on your weight loss, that's fab. What I mean by change is should I add more to the amount of physical activity I do or will I still lose weight by just continuing my normal fitness regime and lower my calories to the amount MFP recommends.

You'll lose weight just sticking to your normal routine, as long as you eat the amount of calories MFP recommends (and make sure you're being accurate and truthful with your logging).
    If you want to add some exercise in, even better, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    Options

As long as you are eating less than you burn, you will lose. Staying with your current exercise level and lowering calories will do that. If you find that the loss is slowing a bit, there is nothing wrong with adding additional exercise too.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose weight without changing how you do fitness now, as long as your activity level is set properly. You don't need to add more activity, though you could if you wanted to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

well exercise makes you feel better, good for health and you get to eat more

so it's up to you

don't forget there's increasing your general activity level eg walking more ... as well as proper cardiovascular exercise (2 x 30mins per week for heart health) and resistance work for great musculature

the answer is it's up to you really
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your current fitness regime?
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Thank you all for you help.. I'm very positive about this. Good luck on maintaining or continuing your weight loss
  • fitfloridagirl
    fitfloridagirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you Littleowl! The last bit can really be the most frustrating!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thank you all for you help.. I'm very positive about this. Good luck on maintaining or continuing your weight loss

Perfect attitude! You've got this. Follow the numbers MFP gives you. As time goes on, you will see if there are any areas you want to tweak. That is the beauty of MFP's system: you can change it as your needs and desires change.

• Littleowl101
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is your current fitness regime?

I currently just use the treadmill a few times a week, but I be on my feet a lot in work, I'm planning on starting a few classes next week too, circuit and bums and tums. It's my stomach that I find hard to shift the weight in, so hopefully it works
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 42 lbs just following MFP's recommendation for a 1.5 lb per week weight loss. Reduced my goal after that to 1 lb per week and started exercising for my health, using an HRM and eating back the exercise calories less an adjustment for my NEAT and continued to lose at a pretty steady rate close to my goals