Any successful weight loss just following fitness pal's recommend calories

Options

Replies

• Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you Littleowl! The last bit can really be the most frustrating!

You too!!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I lost tons of weight blindly following MFP's guidelines to lose 2lbs/week. 50 lbs over a 5 month period. I was even eating back almost all of my exercise calories. And then my body pretty much shut down from starvation, I was hospitalized and out of commission for 2 years. Then I gained back 80 lbs.

It does seem to work for a lot of people though. Maybe I just suck at starving. I dunno. Or maybe this is why there are so many people in the "introduce yourself" forum talking about how this is their second, third or even fourth time here, but this time they're *really* gonna do it.

I can't live on 1350 calories a day. I can't even live on 1800 calories a day. So I don't. I use other online calculators to estimate my TDEE, and set my calorie goal according to that. I track how I'm feeling, hunger levels, cravings, mood swings and use that information to adjust my calorie goal. Right now I'm at 2000, not eating back exercise calories, but I've been really tired and hungry all week, so next week, I will likely raise that to 2100.

So far, this has been working for me. I've lost 21 lbs since January. It's not exactly a brag-worthy loss. But I don't feel miserable and hungry all the time and I know this is something I can maintain. So when the other posters are talking about how they've made huge losses by cutting out food groups and torturing themselves over cake, posting such "motivational" updates as "A minute on the lips, a lifetime onthe hips!" I can keep in mind that in a year or two, they'll be back on the forums reintroducing themselves saying that this time they're gonna do it. And I'll still be trucking away slowly, but enjoying my life and all the fun and food it has to offer.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah worst case (this will probably not happen), if you are accurate (weigh your food, etc) and honest with your logging, meet the goal, and still don't lose weight after a month or so then you can manually lower your goal. But again, that probably wont happen and definitely set your diary to Public and ask us to take a look before doing that.
    Mainly just saying this as reassurance, you're going to lose weight if you log properly and follow goal.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is your current fitness regime?

I currently just use the treadmill a few times a week, but I be on my feet a lot in work, I'm planning on starting a few classes next week too, circuit and bums and tums. It's my stomach that I find hard to shift the weight in, so hopefully it works

That sounds good. You already are active and are getting cardio in from your treadmill. The circuits should help with strengthening, just make sure you are working all of your major muscle groups, not just the glutes and abs.

• Littleowl101
    Options
    I lost tons of weight blindly following MFP's guidelines to lose 2lbs/week. 50 lbs over a 5 month period. I was even eating back almost all of my exercise calories. And then my body pretty much shut down from starvation, I was hospitalized and out of commission for 2 years. Then I gained back 80 lbs.

It does seem to work for a lot of people though. Maybe I just suck at starving. I dunno. Or maybe this is why there are so many people in the "introduce yourself" forum talking about how this is their second, third or even fourth time here, but this time they're *really* gonna do it.

I can't live on 1350 calories a day. I can't even live on 1800 calories a day. So I don't. I use other online calculators to estimate my TDEE, and set my calorie goal according to that. I track how I'm feeling, hunger levels, cravings, mood swings and use that information to adjust my calorie goal. Right now I'm at 2000, not eating back exercise calories, but I've been really tired and hungry all week, so next week, I will likely raise that to 2100.

So far, this has been working for me. I've lost 21 lbs since January. It's not exactly a brag-worthy loss. But I don't feel miserable and hungry all the time and I know this is something I can maintain. So when the other posters are talking about how they've made huge losses by cutting out food groups and torturing themselves over cake, posting such "motivational" updates as "A minute on the lips, a lifetime onthe hips!" I can keep in mind that in a year or two, they'll be back on the forums reintroducing themselves saying that this time they're gonna do it. And I'll still be trucking away slowly, but enjoying my life and all the fun and food it has to offer.

I'm sorry to hear that, can I ask what your ideal weight loss was when you started MFP? You seem very determined and I'm happy that your experience didn't stop you from trying to achieve your goal and you've found something that suits you.. And 21lbs is definitely brag-worthy, it's a huge loss. Don't put yourself down. Your doing great and your taking control of something that your not happy with. You should be proud.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your current fitness regime?

I currently just use the treadmill a few times a week, but I be on my feet a lot in work, I'm planning on starting a few classes next week too, circuit and bums and tums. It's my stomach that I find hard to shift the weight in, so hopefully it works

That sounds good. You already are active and are getting cardio in from your treadmill. The circuits should help with strengthening, just make sure you are working all of your major muscle groups, not just the glutes and abs.

Thank you for all your help earlnabby, it's great to have positivity
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

So maybe the lesson here is that 2 pounds per week isn't a good fit for everyone.

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    So here’s my two cents (not adjusted for inflation). Prior to joining MFP I was working out like a madman, I worked out for several hours at a time, every day and sometimes several times a day. I was losing weight but not at any rate worth bragging about. Once I joined MFP and started the program, the weight started to melt off like a stick of butter left out in the sun on a hot summers day. This was with working out on a much lower frequency. I went from 7 to 10 workouts a week to 4 to 6, from 2 hour plus workouts to 1 to 1.5 hour workouts.

The saying “you can’t out train a bad diet,” truly resonates with me. I was eating healthy foods but I was not doing portion control and counting calories, once I started doing that it was a game changer. Now I can say I’m a loser baby; prior to MFP I had W/O for about 1.5 years and lost around 15 pounds, since joining MFP January 2014 I have lost 40 pounds.

The diet (what you eat not some fad) is paramount but you need to exercise regardless of what your trying to achieve. You know, the whole “a body in motion stays in motion,” thing.

Things that will help, get a digital food scale, Walmart has some good ones. Weigh and measure everything that you eat and drink, and log it before you bit it!

Good luck with your goals.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • Littleowl101
    Options

So maybe the lesson here is that 2 pounds per week isn't a good fit for everyone.

Mines is currently set for 1lb a week, I'm in no rush and it took time for this weight to appear so it'll take time to lose it
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Mines is currently set for 1lb a week, I'm in no rush and it took time for this weight to appear so it'll take time to lose it

Oh boy. Sounds like we have a success story in the future! Common sense and a positive attitude will take you far!

• meddaugh48
    meddaugh48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have lost 166 pounds in 17 months by following the MFP recommended calorie amount. The only real physical activity I've added is walking 4-5 miles a day.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Oh boy. Sounds like we have a success story in the future! Common sense and a positive attitude will take you far!

Haha yes, stop sounding so reasonable Littleowl101, i dont think we'll be able to handle that :smile:
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    meddaugh48 wrote: »
    I have lost 166 pounds in 17 months by following the MFP recommended calorie amount. The only real physical activity I've added is walking 4-5 miles a day.

Congrats that's amazing!
  • Littleowl101
    Options

Haha yes, stop sounding so reasonable Littleowl101, i dont think we'll be able to handle that :smile:

Hahaha I've a sensible head on me
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

If all you want to do is lose weight, I can tell you, it does work without exercise. I was on crutches for 9 weeks and lost a good chunk of my weight without exercise. If I had to do it all over again, I would most definitely incorporate something. It makes it easier to eat at a calorie deficit, helps your heart, and lifting can help retain muscle while losing. Many benefits to exercise, but it isn't required for weight loss.

I'd like to maintain some sort of physical ex
    Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

If all you want to do is lose weight, I can tell you, it does work without exercise. I was on crutches for 9 weeks and lost a good chunk of my weight without exercise. If I had to do it all over again, I would most definitely incorporate something. It makes it easier to eat at a calorie deficit, helps your heart, and lifting can help retain muscle while losing. Many benefits to exercise, but it isn't required for weight loss.

Thanks for your reply, I do at the minute just want to focus on weight loss but I intend of maintaining some sort of exercise too for health reasons more than weight loss
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that it definitely works! I've lost almost 50 pounds since the end of November. I've increased my activity level since starting because I feel better the lighter I get.

The important thing is, as others have said, to be as accurate as possible with your logging and tracking. A food scale is invaluable for this, especially with so little to lose.

Littleowl, your posts in this thread sound like you have reasonable expectations and goals, and I see good things ahead for you -- you've got this!
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me! Actually, it has worked for me despite my frequent lapses.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    83 pounds, here. I do work out (walking, yoga, lifting), but that's for fun, not because I feel like I have to.

You can do it :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I follow MFP guidelines

Eat the amount it gives me
    Plus eat half of my exercise calories back
    Same here. I eat the cals that MFP says, for a 1lb a week loss, for me thats 1200 cals.
    Plus I eat approx. half my exercise cals back.

Lost 62 lbs so far.