Going to Disneyland. How to resist binging?

Options
My birthday is tomorrow and to celebrate, I'm going to Disneyland on Saturday (I have to work on my actual birthday)!!

I know I'm gonna have a cheat day that day because it's Disneyland, but I'm wondering, does anyone out there have any tips for cheat days on how not to binge on a cheat day?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pick one meal to enjoy and decide early what you are going to have for the entire day. Eat a few meals at home where you can control the calories (like breakfast and dinner).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also, it's one day. Just don't eat like it's your last day on earth and it won't derail you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I go to Disney World once a month, they'er are tons of healthy foods, eat normal like you would at home and have 1 or 2 treats!! Enjoy!! You will be walking a lot.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Don't eat everything in sight just because it's a cheat day. If you REALLY, really want something, have it. Telling yourself you can have whatever you want and then asking yourself if you actually really do want it does amazing things psychologically. Focus on things you don't normally get or have access to, i.e. real treats. Save your calories for the most delicious things available, not just whatever is around. Maybe tuck a protein bar or some nuts in your purse for snacking when you're waiting in line or trying to save your calories for a yummy meal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to eat a lot of Disney food (and I'm so with you there!), eat before you leave and bring a lunch. That means one meal in the parks...or you could leave and grab something else.

I've made a bodrillion trips to Disney without eating their food. A friend of mine and I do it a lot. We are Disney's worst nightmare - discount passes and we don't eat their food or buy their stuff, lol. We just take up room in the parks. :)
  • Serah87
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you really don't want to eat a lot of Disney food (and I'm so with you there!), eat before you leave and bring a lunch. That means one meal in the parks...or you could leave and grab something else.

I've made a bodrillion trips to Disney without eating their food. A friend of mine and I do it a lot. We are Disney's worst nightmare - discount passes and we don't eat their food or buy their stuff, lol. We just take up room in the parks. :)

Who wants to lug food around the parks and also every time you leave you pay $18 (for parking) unless you have annual passes, which we do and we don't leave the parks. I just learn to eat within my calories, because you know life. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The food at Disney is pricey. The cost alone will likely keep you from going too overboard with multiple trips to food stands/restaurants. I'd pretty much do as usmcmp wrote and pick what meal was going to be my biggie and then eat around it. If you are going to a sit down restaurant, the menus are online. And you can find lists online (disboards is a good source) of what all of the snack spots serve/sell.
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You guys have given some great tips. :) Thank you all.

So I'll eat breakfast at home and make sure I stay within my calories, then when I go to the park, eat as healthy as possible for lunch, and dinner will be my treat meal.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, food is expensive. Buy a meal. Pay $12 for it. Eat it and keep walking.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Yep.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Who wants to lug food around the parks and also every time you leave you pay $18 (for parking) unless you have annual passes, which we do and we don't leave the parks. I just learn to eat within my calories, because you know life. ;)

Me, lol. I like to lug food food around. It might not be for everyone. :)

I can't get nutritional info out of Disney. If you do, you're pretty lucky! They won't give it to us.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options

I can't get nutritional info out of Disney. If you do, you're pretty lucky! They won't give it to us.

But to be fair, they do have some dishes that are pretty healthy. For example, there's a veggie sandwich with a mushroom as the patty and they have fresh fruit.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

But to be fair, they do have some dishes that are pretty healthy. For example, there's a veggie sandwich with a mushroom as the patty and they have fresh fruit.

There is some fruit. I counted the grapes once. I paid about $4 for twenty-some (I think it was 23) grapes. That's just too ridiculous for me. I will not pay them that kind of money. I view it the same as the movies. The price is just too high. I'll bring my own.

I don't refuse to buy the food because I think it's unhealthy. A lot of it is, but that's not why I started. I just won't pay what they charge!

Like I said to the other poster, I can't get nutritional info out of them. If you guys are getting it, please tell me how.
  • Serah87
    Options

I don't either, I just estimate and do pretty good at it. ;)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always bring a couple of snacks with me in a small backpack as well as a water bottle with a built in filter. My point was also going to be that their prices are so ridiculous that I can't imagine actually doing what I'd call "binging" there. A meal and a couple of treats, maybe, but out and out binging? No way. And one day of having a few extra treats isn't going to undo your success to date anyway.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    True
  • Serah87
    Options

There is some fruit. I counted the grapes once. I paid about $4 for twenty-some (I think it was 23) grapes. That's just too ridiculous for me. I will not pay them that kind of money. I view it the same as the movies. The price is just too high. I'll bring my own.

Like I said to the other poster, I can't get nutritional info out of them. If you guys are getting it, please tell me how.

It's Disney, paying for that, just like anywhere else you go. I don't think the prices are to bad. Plus the fact we are annual pass holders we get discounts.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I don't either, I just estimate and do pretty good at it. ;)

How do you know? I'm not saying you aren't good at it. I'm sure you can estimate very well in general! But how do you know if you're doing it well when there is no label or anything to compare it to? Do you just eat there a lit and not gain weight, so you know you're doing okay?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I don't trust that the Kitchens are clean in Disneyland. When I went to Florida there was a giant mouse roaming around in the restaurant! (cough).
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I go to Disneyland once every three to six months. My strategy is to not worry about it too much.

If you will really *enjoy* it, go for it. If you won't *really* enjoy a high-calorie choice, why bother making that choice? There are other, lower calorie, choices available.

Disney food options have *vastly* improved over the years.