Going to Disneyland. How to resist binging?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    If you really don't want to eat a lot of Disney food (and I'm so with you there!), eat before you leave and bring a lunch. That means one meal in the parks...or you could leave and grab something else.

I've made a bodrillion trips to Disney without eating their food. A friend of mine and I do it a lot. We are Disney's worst nightmare - discount passes and we don't eat their food or buy their stuff, lol. We just take up room in the parks. :)

Who wants to lug food around the parks and also every time you leave you pay $18 (for parking) unless you have annual passes, which we do and we don't leave the parks. I just learn to eat within my calories, because you know life. ;)

Me, lol. I like to lug food food around. It might not be for everyone. :)

I can't get nutritional info out of Disney. If you do, you're pretty lucky! They won't give it to us.

I don't either, I just estimate and do pretty good at it. ;)

How do you know? I'm not saying you aren't good at it. I'm sure you can estimate very well in general! But how do you know if you're doing it well when there is no label or anything to compare it to? Do you just eat there a lit and not gain weight, so you know you're doing okay?

Usually I go by what I weigh the following day, I usually don't gain weight, I have lost weight several times and have gained weight also, usually because I wanted to indulged. Either way it doesn't bother me. I had fun with my hubby and that's the important thing to me.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I don't trust that the Kitchens are clean in Disneyland. When I went to Florida there was a giant mouse roaming around in the restaurant! (cough).

I love that giant mouse. ;)
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't trust that the Kitchens are clean in Disneyland. When I went to Florida there was a giant mouse roaming around in the restaurant! (cough).

I see what you did there.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

I see what you did there.

Good for you. Feel free to use that brilliant joke to impress your friends and family on your birthday. B)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    For nutrition values, I estimate comparables. Cheesecake Factory values can't be that much lower than Disney values. :D or I estimate by ingredients and call it "good enough for rock and roll". My world won't end if my guesses are off by a few hundred calories. It's a setback of a few days, at worst, and non-conclusive when you factor in sodium, sleep, water retention, steps, etc.

I log more so I have a record of my choices and data to affect my decision about how much enjoyment I want out of any given food choice, relative to other choices I have already made.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I live in Anaheim and go pretty often. As others have said - If you are spending all day at the park, you are going to walk a lot so I wouldn't worry too much. If you want some good choices, personally I like Bengal Barbeque across from the Jungle Cruise. They have grilled meat and veggie skewers. Also although technically not allowed, no one will say anything if you bring in some snacks (they will search your bag but they are only looking for weapons and bombs and stuff and usually they just feel the pockets instead of actually looking at everything). No one will take away a kind bar if you have one in your purse. My favorite treat that is really not all that bad is cotton candy. Mostly air but I feel like I'm being naughty.

Now I want a churro.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    I can resist the churros. Lol it's the ice cream and rice Krispy treats and other baked goods that get me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Disneyland? Just looking at the prices would do a good job of curbing my appetite.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I remember eating loads of jalapeno pretzels whilst walking around? God knows what they are, we don't really have them in the UK. I also enjoyed many giant Turkey legs as I walked around Epcot and MGM (there is a picture if you click my profile). It tasted more like Ham though? I went to a brilliant Buffet In Magic Kingdom and ate at least 4000 cals but I can not remember the name. I only really drank water all day (no soda) and didn't really eat Ice creams etc when everyone else did because they don't really do anything for me.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can resist the churros. Lol it's the ice cream and rice Krispy treats and other baked goods that get me.

So have them - without drama, without self-recrimination. But have them *mindfully*. Make time to sit down and really taste each bite. Look at the baked good and say to yourself, "Okay, that (cinnamon roll) is (using the Cinnabon roll as a comparable) about 1000 calories. I am going to enjoy 1000 calories worth of cinnamon roll (or 500 calories, and leave half on the table)." Then do so.

Seriously, an *excess* of *10,000* calories - with no activity offset - is still only 3 pounds. Something you want to do every day? No. As a once a month/quarter treat? Not that big a deal (and probably offset by low calorie days, especially while generally eating at a deficit). On maintenance? Be mindful of it, and do some activity and calorie offset.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about a single day, I don't know how badly you could screw up, really. I assume you are already eating a deficit to lose weight. So eat to maintenance for a day.

Not to mention that Disney involves a crap-ton of walking.

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Damn. My ex-husband is everywhere! Oh sorry! I thought you said rat!
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are an ice cream person, frozen bananas are a good choice. I have no idea how many calories it has but I would imagine the Dole Pineapple Whips aren't too bad, either. Should be comparable to a sherbet. But it's your birthday and a treat, and there will be a lot of physical activity, so if you want the full fat mickey ear ice cream on a stick, I wouldn't beat myself up. It's probably pretty close to a Haagen Dasz ice cream novelty for tracking. I have to consider the lower calorie choices because I live like a mile away and could go every day if I wanted to - so I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I can fit into my macros! Caramel Apples are not a bad way to go, but they are like $15 so it's not like you will eat three.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    last time i went to Disneyland I had about a gazillion steps...and I stood around in line for an eternity to go on rides with my boys...no time to binge really...we ate lunch there and dinner...I don't see what the big deal is.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    If you are talking about a single day, I don't know how badly you could screw up, really. I assume you are already eating a deficit to lose weight. So eat to maintenance for a day.

Not to mention that Disney involves a crap-ton of walking.

Yes I have been eating a calorie deficit.

And that's true. I can walk a lot of those calories off.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    last time i went to Disneyland I had about a gazillion steps...and I stood around in line for an eternity to go on rides with my boys...no time to binge really...we ate lunch there and dinner...I don't see what the big deal is.

I guess it's because I have a major sweet tooth and I'm gonna wanna eat a lot of the sugary treats. Not multiples of one thing, but a bunch of different sweets.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I guess it's because I have a major sweet tooth and I'm gonna wanna eat a lot of the sugary treats. Not multiples of one thing, but a bunch of different sweets.

Give yourself a dollar budget for treats. You'll not only spend less but you'll have to make a decision on which items are going to give you the best "bang for your buck." You'll eat less for both reasons.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Disneyland next Spring..I'm going to eat like a dozen churros with no guilt. No regrets. =) lol
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

LOL
  • Nikkigirl133
    Nikkigirl133 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ITS DISNEYLAND calories completely don't count! <3 If it was me I wouldnt eat anything I didn't really want but the stuff I do game on! Also it is your birthday. Don't beat yourself up.

My bff a very skinny in shape girl. Eats whatevers she wants she just stops when she has had enough. She never finishes anything.