Booze Advice please

Options
I'm seeing old friends this weekend. It will be a bit boozy, but not nuts. I'm Type 2 diabetic. Am I stuck with Pils and vodka & diet coke or has anyone have any recommendations before I go to tesco.

I'm 43, I've lost 42lb and this is a blow out to celebrate. I'll be back on the wagon on Monday. I promise.

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your doctor. Diabetes isn't something to play around with from what I understand.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your dr. You could be dead by Saturday afternoon.
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 7 years (that I know of). Not always controlled it as I should, but I'm cool with my meds and now my diet.

I was hoping for "try creme de menthe and diet dr pepper it's only 11 calories" rather than "DON'T DRINK OR YOU'LL DIE" but your concern is touching and appreciated.

I can't not drink for the rest of my life. In much the same way that I can't not have a McDonald's or a KFC for the rest of my life. As with the cocaine and the crystal meth it's all about moderation.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    I've been diabetic for 7 years (that I know of). Not always controlled it as I should, but I'm cool with my meds and now my diet.

I was hoping for "try creme de menthe and diet dr pepper it's only 11 calories" rather than "DON'T DRINK OR YOU'LL DIE" but your concern is touching and appreciated.

I can't not drink for the rest of my life. In much the same way that I can't not have a McDonald's or a KFC for the rest of my life. As with the cocaine and the crystal meth it's all about moderation.

Um, yes. You can. It's not a life necessity. Considering you are diabetic and it can actually kill you, going cold turkey off the alcohol (like a recovering alcoholic) seems like your best option.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    As with the cocaine and the crystal meth it's all about moderation.
    Lol! :)
    How about Prosecco?
    1 glass is around 100 calories.

• fearnsey71
    Options

Um, yes. You can. It's not a life necessity. Considering you are diabetic and it can actually kill you, going cold turkey off the alcohol (like a recovering alcoholic) seems like your best option.

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

This made me laugh so hard.

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I haven't drank in almost a decade......I assure you, you can go without booze
  • zanie13
    zanie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As a Type II also, I drink in moderation. I don't have drink suggestions as I primarily consume wine but any carbs that come from alcohol are immediately deducted from my total carb count for that particular meal. I would definitely not overdo it and talk to your MD.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Back on topic...

This sounds like it's a "once in a blue moon" type occasion. What sort of drink do you enjoy? Have a couple of those, and don't worry about the calories. One day is not going to derail your efforts, provided one doesn't become 3 which doesn't become 10.

All of the above advice, of course, should be taken in the context of your medical condition. For example, as a diabetic, a giant-super fruity/sugary drink may not be a wise choice.
  • fearnsey71
    Options
    Im not an alcoholic. I drink very rarely. I mean I have birthdays, Christmases, weddings, funerals - you know, life events that I want to celebrate and I will do that with or without alcohol. I have spoken to my GP, my Dietician, my diabetes nurse and they all said the same thing. Moderation.

Jesus if a night on the lash was going to kill me I'd have been dead 10 years ago.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

i am sending you a friend request based on that comment alone..... LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• fearnsey71
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Back on topic...

This sounds like it's a "once in a blue moon" type occasion. What sort of drink do you enjoy? Have a couple of those, and don't worry about the calories. One day is not going to derail your efforts, provided one doesn't become 3 which doesn't become 10.

All of the above advice, of course, should be taken in the context of your medical condition. For example, as a diabetic, a giant-super fruity/sugary drink may not be a wise choice.

Thank you thank you thank you.
  • fearnsey71
    Options

i am sending you a friend request based on that comment alone..... LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thank you. Looks like I need all the friends I can get
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My dad is a type 2, but enjoys a cold beer or 2 with me @ cookouts. Have 1 or 2 of what you enjoy & call it good.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My personal drink of choice is a gin and tonic with diet tonic. I never ever thought I'd like it with diet tonic but I do. And it's a lovely drink in the summer when it's so hot out. Those British folks over in India in the colonial days sure did know what they were doing. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

This is a bit much, don't you think? Sure one could tee-total but unless one is an alcoholic or allergic to it or something there's no real need to. And most of us don't want to give up the occasional social drink if we don't have to.

I have friends and family with diabetes who drink. It's all about moderation and knowing what their bodies can handle. My FIL, for example, has always been a Scotch and soda drinker and he has one or two daily. In 31 years I've never seen him "drunk" so moderation is his style.

OP, simply stay away from sugary drinks. One of my friends who is pre-diabetic loves mixing flavored vodkas with Diet Coke or other zero calorie fizzy mixers. There are so many different vodka and rum flavors out there that you can easily mix it up and have some fun with it. Diet cola goes well with flavors like vanilla, lemon, orange... For some of the more esoteric flavors you could use a diet lemon-lime soda or diet ginger ale or plain or flavored fizzy waters.

Enjoy!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just drink what you want mate in moderation and have fun. Try to build the alcohol calories in to your daily goal and don't worry to much if you go over. Have fun.
  • lisadoe71
    lisadoe71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recently vacationed with some close friends and she made a drink and asked me to taste it...IT WAS AWSOME!!! When she told me it was mostly water, I didn't believe her. She made me one as I watched....she filled the glass with ice, poured in one 16.9 oz bottle of water, measured out one shot of malibu rum (any liquer can be used) and then added a splash of her calorie/sugar free water flavoring..which happened to be something tropical. Being diabetic, you do need to be very careful with alcohol, but one or two of these should help you feel like you're part of the fun, yet not spike your blood sugar too much. HAVE FUN~~
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you can get a sugar-free cranberry mixer, some vanilla Stoli is so fine with it.

Also make sure your meth is not cut with any hidden sweeteners. Dealers are not looking out for diabetics like they ought to be.