Booze Advice please

Options

Replies

• fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sue

Thanks for that. Vanilla vodka sounds ace.
    SueInAz wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    I've been diabetic for 7 years (that I know of). Not always controlled it as I should, but I'm cool with my meds and now my diet.

I was hoping for "try creme de menthe and diet dr pepper it's only 11 calories" rather than "DON'T DRINK OR YOU'LL DIE" but your concern is touching and appreciated.

I can't not drink for the rest of my life. In much the same way that I can't not have a McDonald's or a KFC for the rest of my life. As with the cocaine and the crystal meth it's all about moderation.

Um, yes. You can. It's not a life necessity. Considering you are diabetic and it can actually kill you, going cold turkey off the alcohol (like a recovering alcoholic) seems like your best option.

This is a bit much, don't you think? Sure one could tee-total but unless one is an alcoholic or allergic to it or something there's no real need to. And most of us don't want to give up the occasional social drink if we don't have to.

I have friends and family with diabetes who drink. It's all about moderation and knowing what their bodies can handle. My FIL, for example, has always been a Scotch and soda drinker and he has one or two daily. In 31 years I've never seen him "drunk" so moderation is his style.

OP, simply stay away from sugary drinks. One of my friends who is pre-diabetic loves mixing flavored vodkas with Diet Coke or other zero calorie fizzy mixers. There are so many different vodka and rum flavors out there that you can easily mix it up and have some fun with it. Diet cola goes well with flavors like vanilla, lemon, orange... For some of the more esoteric flavors you could use a diet lemon-lime soda or diet ginger ale or plain or flavored fizzy waters.

Enjoy!

• fearnsey71
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you can get a sugar-free cranberry mixer, some vanilla Stoli is so fine with it.

Also make sure your meth is not cut with any hidden sweeteners. Dealers are not looking out for diabetics like they ought to be.

Lol. Love it.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    lisadoe71 wrote: »
    I recently vacationed with some close friends and she made a drink and asked me to taste it...IT WAS AWSOME!!! When she told me it was mostly water, I didn't believe her. She made me one as I watched....she filled the glass with ice, poured in one 16.9 oz bottle of water, measured out one shot of malibu rum (any liquer can be used) and then added a splash of her calorie/sugar free water flavoring..which happened to be something tropical. Being diabetic, you do need to be very careful with alcohol, but one or two of these should help you feel like you're part of the fun, yet not spike your blood sugar too much. HAVE FUN~~

I do the same thing. Water, a shot of vodka, and a squirt of one of the fruity flavorings. Try run and the coconut flavoring, the possibilities are endless. Also handy when traveling to be able to make a drink and have the "mixer" in that tiny little bottle. Not that I have thought this through or anything... ;)

• qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    qb63 wrote: »
    I recently vacationed with some close friends and she made a drink and asked me to taste it...IT WAS AWSOME!!! When she told me it was mostly water, I didn't believe her. She made me one as I watched....she filled the glass with ice, poured in one 16.9 oz bottle of water, measured out one shot of malibu rum (any liquer can be used) and then added a splash of her calorie/sugar free water flavoring..which happened to be something tropical. Being diabetic, you do need to be very careful with alcohol, but one or two of these should help you feel like you're part of the fun, yet not spike your blood sugar too much. HAVE FUN~~

I do the same thing. Water, a shot of vodka, and a squirt of one of the fruity flavorings. Try run and the coconut flavoring, the possibilities are endless. Also handy when traveling to be able to make a drink and have the "mixer" in that tiny little bottle. Not that I have thought this through or anything... ;)

Rum, not run. But if you do run, drink those calories back for sure! :)

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think vodka and diet coke is as low cal as you can get (and delicious btw. My drink of choice).
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My low cal go to: 7&7 with diet 7 up and a lot of ice. :) Have fun and stay hydrated!
  • fearnsey71
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This has been a blast. Got some very good ideas and I pinkie swear that on Monday I will be hitting the gym and continuing my C25K and back on the water and green tea.

I love this place. I know everyone means well and their hearts are in right place and I really do appreciate it.

Xx
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    These gin & vodka ideas are awesome, may have to try some. I've always been more of a red wine or Jim Beam & Cherry Coke Zero kinda gal ;)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    When she told me it was mostly water, I didn't believe her. She made me one as I watched....she filled the glass with ice, poured in one 16.9 oz bottle of water, measured out one shot of malibu rum (any liquer can be used) and then added a splash of her calorie/sugar free water flavoring..which happened to be something tropical.

That sounds so nice!
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Tesco and Asda have some really nice flavoured fizzy waters. I like the blackberry and elderflower mixed with gin, the coconut and pineapple with spiced rum and the grapefruit with vodka. The litre bottles are approx 20cals for the lot so if you measure your spirit accurately you can have a tasty long drink for under 100cals.
  • fearnsey71
    Options
    jeneveg wrote: »
    Tesco and Asda have some really nice flavoured fizzy waters. I like the blackberry and elderflower mixed with gin, the coconut and pineapple with spiced rum and the grapefruit with vodka. The litre bottles are approx 20cals for the lot so if you measure your spirit accurately you can have a tasty long drink for under 100cals.

that sounds ace. thanks
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is Pinnacle tropical punch vodka and Sprite Zero. I'm usually a beer gal, but it's so good.
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I drink mostly vodka (sometimes flavored) with soda and lemon. I don't like diet soft drinks personally. I would just count the drink as one of my carbs (I'm guessing you count your carbs). I also like to drink plain water with lemon and/or mint. It makes me feel like I am having a drink without all the calories. Sometimes I will do 2 fake drinks to every one real drink. Paces me and hydrates at the same time ;)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Please consult your doctor first. That being said, My mother-in-law is type 2 diabetic and her and I will drink sugar free marg mix and tequila together and she drinks as much as me (If not more) and she does fine.

After you talk to your doctor, have fun.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 7 years (that I know of). Not always controlled it as I should, but I'm cool with my meds and now my diet.

I was hoping for "try creme de menthe and diet dr pepper it's only 11 calories" rather than "DON'T DRINK OR YOU'LL DIE" but your concern is touching and appreciated.

I can't not drink for the rest of my life. In much the same way that I can't not have a McDonald's or a KFC for the rest of my life. As with the cocaine and the crystal meth it's all about moderation.

Um, yes. You can. It's not a life necessity. Considering you are diabetic and it can actually kill you, going cold turkey off the alcohol (like a recovering alcoholic) seems like your best option.

If someone drinks on a regular basis, they should never ever ever quit cold turkey. Sorry, I know your intension was good, but I need to point out that abstaining from alcohol abruptly can cause lithal seizures and death. There is a reason people go to rehab for alcohol, because you literally need medical treatment to ween off alcohol.
    I don't advocate drinking with type 2 diabetes either, because you can go into a hyperosmolar state and coma, never a good idea to binge drink.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Im not an alcoholic. I drink very rarely. I mean I have birthdays, Christmases, weddings, funerals - you know, life events that I want to celebrate and I will do that with or without alcohol. I have spoken to my GP, my Dietician, my diabetes nurse and they all said the same thing. Moderation.

Jesus if a night on the lash was going to kill me I'd have been dead 10 years ago.

And I already knew you weren't an alcoholic, could tell from your first post...just so I don't get attacked. Wasn't aimed toward you. Just pointing out to the other user that people who drink on the regular should never just stop drinking.
    BUT I do have a low cal/sugar drink option for you!
    Don't know if you like Tanqueray, but I go with that, diet ginerale. Called a Gin and Gin, with a twist of lemon...pretty good actually.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I swear I was a pirate in another life, as I usually stick to rum. Sailor Jerry's and Kraken are my two favorites. With a Diet Coke, Lots of Ice, and some lime, you got yourself a nice Cuba Libre :)

Remember the old adage: beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear. (although, that can get confusing after a couple few drinks).

And drink a glass of water between each drink. ENJOY! :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm seeing old friends this weekend. It will be a bit boozy, but not nuts. I'm Type 2 diabetic. Am I stuck with Pils and vodka & diet coke or has anyone have any recommendations before I go to tesco.

I'm 43, I've lost 42lb and this is a blow out to celebrate. I'll be back on the wagon on Monday. I promise.

What's your poison? Alcohol is involved and thereby requires the highest level of prioritization and scrutiny.

You're type 2, which gives much more flexibility - simply stay away from heavy sugars (rum & coke) and steer towards light (gin & tonic).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Depending on what medications you are on, you may not be allowed to drink at all. I've been told that with Metformin, an occasional 1-2 drinks is fine, but it must be very occasional. Binge drinking is an extraordinarily bad idea for a diabetic--not because of weight gain or hangover but because you can do a lot of damage to your liver very fast.

I'm on the other side of the pond, so I'm not sure what you have available to you. Where I live, we have stevia-sweetened ginger ale (a brand called Zevia, which is quite good.) It's nice with tequila and a fresh lime.

In terms of weight gain, I find that vodka, white rum and white/silver tequila don't effect me much...but any time I drink wine at all, my weight goes up inordinately. Darker liquors seem to be a mixed bag...I've been OK with drinking Bourbon...darker rum, not so much. Beer is really out of the question due to the high carb content.

Another thing that you could look for is juice mixers that have artificial sweeteners...for example, cranberry juice with Splenda. A shot of bourbon, about the same amount of cranberry juice and some sparkling water is good. Garnish with lime.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have a good weekend. Celebrate with your friends. Monday, when you get back "on the wagon" - do NOT do anything drastic to make up for any calorie overages this weekend. Just start moving forward.

We didn't get unhealthy in one weekend. One weekend will not set us back. A series of "just this one weekend" excuses, however, will....