4-5 lbs to goal- what to do when stuck

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    My settings are currently at 1200 cals - 40% carbs, 30% pro 30% fat. With 1lb weight loss a week. Which is not happening. Should I change it to .5 more calories

Try adjusting your macros as well.. Up the protein, cut the fat and carbs. I would also adjust your goal to higer lbs lost per week and see if that helps. You could also try switching up any workout schedule/routine you have to try to shock your body. :)

Macro adjustment (while keeping calories constant) won't change rate of weight loss. "Shocking your body" isn't a thing.

I would guess OP is just not that accurate with weighing & logging foods. When you have more to lose, you have more room for inaccuracy. When you're this close to goal, you don't have the wiggle room.

That's not an accusation...we've all been there.

Oh okay then you should probably tell all of these *HIGHLY* regarded websites that "shocking your body" isn't a thing.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/shock-your-body
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/353683-how-to-shock-your-metabolism-while-dieting/
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/results.php
    https://getyouinshape.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/how-to-shock-your-body-to-burn-more-fat/

Considering I have successfully shocked my body out of a number of plateaus, I am pretty sure macro adjustments work. If you adjust your macros to mostly fat without changing caloric intake this will change the rate of weight loss.

Those are not "highly regarded" websites by any stretch of the imagination...except for those who live for Broscience and woo.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Shocking the body really isn't a thing. Changing the foods you eat or types of exercises you do will only help if it in turn decreases the amounts of calories you eat or increases the amount of calories you burn. Mensfitness posts garbage articles all the time. I would not consider it highly regarded at all. Livestrong lets users post their own articles so information from livestrong doesn't necessarily come from livestrong. Macro adjustments, when calorically equivalent, only work in that reducing carbs can cause water weight losses, and increasing protein can give an increase to your total thermic effect of food, which is just a round about way of burning more calories per day. Eating more fat without changing calories will not change the rate of weight loss, why would it?
  • ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sorry guys I was tied up..to answer a few of your questions. I do weigh everything I eat, to perfection absolutely not. I try to measure mostly grams and pounds rather than guess. If I'm out dinning (which I barely do these days) of course I dont, I don't carry my scale with me, except for this weekend at a BBQ. My friends thought I was nuts but I didn't give a crap about them. Too many freaking BBQ/pool parties, why do we need to eat so much to socialize? but we also have to live alittle don't we?
    I also know abusing it, will not help me get to my goal. I only use a heart rate monitor (Polar Ft7- may not be what most are using, like Fitbit, but it works for me) when I work out - strength training and cardio. I don't log or try to eat strength training calories burned I just log for my own info always trying to beat it the next time around, and I do try to eat only half of cardio calories burned.
    I meant .5 lbs less, sorry for the confusion. But I only said that because someone recommended and I thought it was insane. I said ".5 more calories" meaning that would mean more calories.
    I didn't think so. My body frame is very small and I understand because of that, it may be more difficult for me to burn fat, than most.
    I still don't feel like I'm where I want to be. Most of my weight is on my thighs and arms, just want to lean those a bit, that's all. Don't want to starve my self. I probably need to give myself more time and or continue being consistent with my logging. Yesterday I went over 125calories and I beat myself up. I don't want to continue doing that either.
    Do you think I need to increase my cardio? UGHHH I hate cardio!

I'll repeat my last paragraph from my original post:

"One last bit of advice... our weight is not static, it's a range of about 5 pounds. We bounce up and down as our bodies retain and shed water due to our electrolyte balance, hormone fluctuations and muscle repair. If you're already so close to goal and still aren't satisfied with the way you look it may be time to consider body recomposition rather than simply losing more pounds. Start a regimen of lifting progressively heavier weights while eating at maintenance."

If you'd really like to tighten up, focus less on the scale and more on body fat percentage. Lift weights twice a week, don't do more cardio.
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    Shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories anyways just weigh your food and exercise more good luck
    Sorry guys I was tied up..to answer a few of your questions. I do weigh everything I eat, to perfection absolutely not. I try to measure mostly grams and pounds rather than guess. If I'm out dinning (which I barely do these days) of course I dont, I don't carry my scale with me, except for this weekend at a BBQ. My friends thought I was nuts but I didn't give a crap about them. Too many freaking BBQ/pool parties, why do we need to eat so much to socialize? but we also have to live alittle don't we?
    I also know abusing it, will not help me get to my goal. I only use a heart rate monitor (Polar Ft7- may not be what most are using, like Fitbit, but it works for me) when I work out - strength training and cardio. I don't log or try to eat strength training calories burned I just log for my own info always trying to beat it the next time around, and I do try to eat only half of cardio calories burned.
    I meant .5 lbs less, sorry for the confusion. But I only said that because someone recommended and I thought it was insane. I said ".5 more calories" meaning that would mean more calories.
    I didn't think so. My body frame is very small and I understand because of that, it may be more difficult for me to burn fat, than most.
    I still don't feel like I'm where I want to be. Most of my weight is on my thighs and arms, just want to lean those a bit, that's all. Don't want to starve my self. I probably need to give myself more time and or continue being consistent with my logging. Yesterday I went over 125calories and I beat myself up. I don't want to continue doing that either.

"One last bit of advice... our weight is not static, it's a range of about 5 pounds. We bounce up and down as our bodies retain and shed water due to our electrolyte balance, hormone fluctuations and muscle repair. If you're already so close to goal and still aren't satisfied with the way you look it may be time to consider body recomposition rather than simply losing more pounds. Start a regimen of lifting progressively heavier weights while eating at maintenance."

If you'd really like to tighten up, focus less on the scale and more on body fat percentage. Lift weights twice a week, don't do more cardio.

I weigh myself nearly everyday, and I don't freak out over 1-3lbs over, they're usually a day of higher sodium than usual or carbs from the day before.. I do try to watch my sodium n sugar intake but for some reason if I do have a day of Too much pasta or rice, I find that would do it to me as well. But as soon as I'm diligent the next 2-3 days, they come right off. I'm not worried about that, it's below 119 that I haven't achieved in a long time.

I do lift 5 days a week, I follow "body beast" program which isn't a joke, I log my workouts and every workout I try to beat my last. I do feel myself getting stronger but the inches are not falling as quick as I wish. Most likely I'm not giving myself enough time. That's what I plan to do and continue being consistent. I'll reach out in another month and give you my progress lol...thanks for all the feed back!
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My settings are currently at 1200 cals - 40% carbs, 30% pro 30% fat. With 1lb weight loss a week. Which is not happening. Should I change it to .5 more calories

Try adjusting your macros as well.. Up the protein, cut the fat and carbs. I would also adjust your goal to higer lbs lost per week and see if that helps. You could also try switching up any workout schedule/routine you have to try to shock your body. :)

Macro adjustment (while keeping calories constant) won't change rate of weight loss. "Shocking your body" isn't a thing.

I would guess OP is just not that accurate with weighing & logging foods. When you have more to lose, you have more room for inaccuracy. When you're this close to goal, you don't have the wiggle room.

Oh okay then you should probably tell all of these *HIGHLY* regarded websites that "shocking your body" isn't a thing.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353683-how-to-shock-your-metabolism-while-dieting/
    https://getyouinshape.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/how-to-shock-your-body-to-burn-more-fat/

Considering I have successfully shocked my body out of a number of plateaus, I am pretty sure macro adjustments work. If you adjust your macros to mostly fat without changing caloric intake this will change the rate of weight loss.

Those are not "highly regarded" websites by any stretch of the imagination...except for those who live for Broscience and woo.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA well I am glad you are here to help, since you know SO much about all of this.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

AHAHAHAHAHAHA well I am glad you are here to help, since you know SO much about all of this.

You're welcome. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Hahahaha mens fitness! I can't with this website today.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    OP, I too am petite, (and probably older than you) 5'1 100-105 lb. , and unless I am exercising, 1200 is my maintenance.

What worked for me getting past the last 5 lb was being very tight on my logging and upping my resistance work 1 hr per week. I lost with a bit if a whoosh, then steady at less than .5 lb a week.

Cheers, h.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    OP, I too am petite, (and probably older than you) 5'1 100-105 lb. , and unless I am exercising, 1200 is my maintenance.

What worked for me getting past the last 5 lb was being very tight on my logging and upping my resistance work 1 hr per week. I lost with a bit if a whoosh, then steady at less than .5 lb a week.

Cheers, h.

In April, I hit my halfway point and haven't lost anything since then as I became lackadaisical. It's easy to do when you look so much better than you did before, even though you haven't reached your goal. I'm kicking it back in gear and going to attack the next hurdle.
  • ladygirl123
    Options

Cheers, h.

Wow! Do you mean 1200 to maintain and if exercising you eat more or less?... Sorry I'm a little tired and my brain isn't working properly LOL
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Also to add something to this, if you are set to lose .5lbs a week and your holding 5lbs of water weight, it might take you going 10 weeks of dieting to see those results as the water weight is hiding the fat loss during this time. So during this time it appears the diet isn't working when in fact it is.

I reference Lyle McDonald on the matter from a podcast he did with Danny Lennon
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode65/
  • ladygirl123
    Options

Cheers, h.

In April, I hit my halfway point and haven't lost anything since then as I became lackadaisical. It's easy to do when you look so much better than you did before, even though you haven't reached your goal. I'm kicking it back in gear and going to attack the next hurdle.

Go for it! You can do it!
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Also to add something to this, if you are set to lose .5lbs a week and your holding 5lbs of water weight, it might take you going 10 weeks of dieting to see those results as the water weight is hiding the fat loss during this time. So during this time it appears the diet isn't working when in fact it is.

It's not water weight, I weight myself everyday so I know when it goes up because of sodium/water. It usually comes right off in 2-3 days when I'm diligent.. Thanks though for the input though
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    1200 is my 'sat with a book on the deck' maintenance ladygirl.
    I average a 200cal an hour burn doing most exercises ( aqua fit, Pilate, body sculpting, rowing machine and walking) and about 300 for Zumba. I spent 3 month in the winter doing lots of math. Haha.
    I haven't worked out my burn for resistance yet but find an 8 hr a week mix of the above gives me a 1450 TDEE for maintenance. I would drop between 100-150cals off that TDEE if I wanted to lose.

I have been maintaining for over 6 years so have a good idea of how my body is working. It was starting Zumba for the first time last fall and doing a rather sudden drop to 98lb that had me sit and redo all the math.

Hope that helps.

Way to go atypicalsmith.
    Sometimes a break is needed to put everything back in perspective. One can over focus on the weight loss so easily.
    Enjoy reaching the 2nd half of your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's not water weight, I weight myself everyday so I know when it goes up because of sodium/water. It usually comes right off in 2-3 days when I'm diligent.. Thanks though for the input though

There is a difference between added water due to sodium and hormonal issues and water weight the body typically carries. I was referring to typical water weight the body normally carries. Again, Lyle gets into this and is very specific to women on the matter if interested.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There is a difference between added water due to sodium and hormonal issues and water weight the body typically carries. I was referring to typical water weight the body normally carries. Again, Lyle gets into this and is very specific to women on the matter if interested.

The part about water weight the body typically carries is certainly true for me. I've had some water retention issues in the past and was on a diuretic long term. Once I went off I almost immediately put on 7 pounds. I had saved a week's worth because I knew I had my 30 year reunion coming up (vanity, I know!) and when I took them during the week of the reunion those 7 pounds came right off again and then went back on the week after. So I know that I'm always carrying about an extra 7 pounds of water and then another 5 pounds more during my time of the month.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, I have 2 questions.
    How much weight have you lost so far?
    How long have you been stuck at your current weight?
    Hoping to hear from you!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Cheers, h.

Go for it! You can do it!

SO CAN YOU!!!!
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, I have 2 questions.
    How much weight have you lost so far?
    How long have you been stuck at your current weight?
    Hoping to hear from you!

To answer those two questions, I feel the need to give you a little history about myself, hope you don't mind.

I have been into nutrition and fitness for over 20 years. Backed then I worked in a hospital in the food and nutrition department very close with Chief and assistant dietitians. That's where I learned to count calories. I always stayed at 1200 calories....whenever I wanted to lose a few extra pounds 5-7lbs I would do a lot of cardio and count calories. Did this practically all my life. I've never been too overweight - max 10lbs- even after three pregnancies..I never tried nor currently trying to lose too much weight either.. Especially at my age, of 47 1/2 .. I feel I would look older, lol, I could be wrong but thats how I feel. That's not my ultimate goal..With all of that being said, my heaviest has been 126, my thinest 115 maybe 117 but that was so long ago. If I could get back their I think I would be good. I'm at 119 now I go up 2-3 lbs every so often but like I mentioned before its usually water and or sodium because they come right off between 2-3 days. Ideally if I could transform my body thru strength training I would be even happier than going down to 115lb so that's what I've been trying to concentrate on now and staying healthy of course.
    Btw I now hate cardio after being a runner for many years..I rather lift.

I've been stuck at 119 for like 2 months now... lifting for a few months, but consistent 5 days a week for a total of 3 weeks. I may just need more time but I want to make sure my nutrition is right. I never concentrated on macros like I have been now either.

Sorry for the lengthy reply... What am I doing wrong?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Get on the treadmill at 2 incline and 3.6 miles an hour three times a week. Or anything equivalent over how many times a week. Check back with me in four weeks.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Ok lady girl, my time to ask.
    Is your 1200cals maintenance includung exercise?
    you don't eat back any of your exercise calories?
    Just asking as that is a little low for your age, size, height.

I think from what you have just posted you may benefit from a refeed.

To do well with weights it would probably be better if you could up your calories slowly, maybe 50 a week (or 2) until you are at somewhere around 1400. If you do it gradually you should add very little, if any extra weight, but your body will start to respond/reshape if you are feeding it to lift.
    ( no expert just my smallish, oldish persons experience)

If you haven't already, have a read of the recomp thread.

Cheers, h.