4-5 lbs to goal- what to do when stuck

Options
13»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    To answer the question of why you're not losing 1 pound a week, this is what happens when I set my MFP to lose 1 pound per week:
    2thgyaarnkod.png

The math just doesn't work out.

But since you've been stuck for a while, I would suggest choosing fitness goals. Or recomp. There's no point in getting hung up over 5 pounds.

And you cannot "shock your body," but you can certainly get a better appearance by trying a different form of exercise. That may be what you really want.
  • ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok lady girl, my time to ask.
    Is your 1200cals maintenance includung exercise?
    you don't eat back any of your exercise calories?
    Just asking as that is a little low for your age, size, height.

I think from what you have just posted you may benefit from a refeed.

To do well with weights it would probably be better if you could up your calories slowly, maybe 50 a week (or 2) until you are at somewhere around 1400. If you do it gradually you should add very little, if any extra weight, but your body will start to respond/reshape if you are feeding it to lift.
    ( no expert just my smallish, oldish persons experience)

If you haven't already, have a read of the recomp thread.

Cheers, h.

My 1200 is actually to try to lose. I did try recomp. Not for long though..I went up to 1300 calories then went back down to 1200 after an "expert" recommended I should be at 1200 because it's harder for me to lose/burn. I did lose 2-3 pounds I was at 123 went down to 120 but I wasn't sure if that was water weight. I'm starting to think I should have stuck with that, by now I might have seen a difference.
    I'm so programmed to the 1200 calories to lose I need to change that kind mind frame, that has gotten me no where.

I don't log calories burned thru strength training because I was told not to eat those lol.. Calories thru cardio I was trying to eat at least half.. I guess I'm not eating enough. But I was saving those calories for my social life lol.. Wrong right?

It's late.. I need to get to bed now lol
    I'll reply in the am if you send a message.
    Thanks so much!
  • ladygirl123
    Options

To do well with weights it would probably be better if you could up your calories slowly, maybe 50 a week (or 2) until you are at somewhere around 1400. If you do it gradually you should add very little, if any extra weight, but your body will start to respond/reshape if you are feeding it to lift.

Cheers, h.

Am I suppose to eat all my exercise calories? I want to try recomp now I believe that will benefit me!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Cheers, h.

Am I suppose to eat all my exercise calories? I want to try recomp now I believe that will benefit me!
    If you're lifting rather than doing extended cardio sessions, there won't be a lot of extra calories to eat.

Lift, eat at maintenance and let your body make the changes you want to see. That's what recomp is all about. The hardest part is the patience and the discipline required not to freak out when the scale isn't moving. I started focusing on lifting rather than lots of cardio over a year ago. I lift and run on alternating days but only run because I enjoy it, not because I want the calorie burn. I do eat back most of those calories, BTW. I stayed in the same 5 pound weight range for quite awhile since I started but watched my body start to shrink and slowly tighten up. I weigh 10 pounds more than I did at my lowest a few years ago (122) but I'm wearing the same exact pairs of jeans. Previously at this weight I was 2 sizes bigger. The scale isn't always the best measure by which to judge our health and fitness. Learn to let go of it.

I'm going in to get my body fat percentage tested in a couple of days. Since my last test in February I'm expecting I'll be a couple of percentage points lower while only having lost 4 pounds.
  • PMTpower
    PMTpower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try doing a fast. I do ADF (alternate day fasting) you can google it, it might kickstart your weight loss if you find yourself in a plateau.
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Cheers, h.

If you're lifting rather than doing extended cardio sessions, there won't be a lot of extra calories to eat.

Lift, eat at maintenance and let your body make the changes you want to see. That's what recomp is all about. The hardest part is the patience and the discipline required not to freak out when the scale isn't moving. I started focusing on lifting rather than lots of cardio over a year ago. I lift and run on alternating days but only run because I enjoy it, not because I want the calorie burn. I do eat back most of those calories, BTW. I stayed in the same 5 pound weight range for quite awhile since I started but watched my body start to shrink and slowly tighten up. I weigh 10 pounds more than I did at my lowest a few years ago (122) but I'm wearing the same exact pairs of jeans. Previously at this weight I was 2 sizes bigger. The scale isn't always the best measure by which to judge our health and fitness. Learn to let go of it.

I'm going in to get my body fat percentage tested in a couple of days. Since my last test in February I'm expecting I'll be a couple of percentage points lower while only having lost 4 pounds.

That's awesome! Good luck! Where do you get body fat percentage tested?

Thanks on the feed back! At this point I'm not so hung up on the 4-5lbs as much as seeing a body transformation. That's why I decided to lift since cardio for so many years hasn't done what I'm looking for.
    So I plan on continuing to lift, and just started recomp again, I'm not afraid of the scale. I'm gonna concentrate on the measuring tape now and I know I have to give it time. I decided to add bike riding at least 2-3 times a week to my regimen, since I can't run anymore either, (a once passion of mine) and I'm getting bored with my elliptical.
    Question: Now that I'm upping calories to 50/week, do I eat all of my cardio calories burned or is half ok? That I'm alittle confused by.
    And when I get to 1400 cal then what stay at that or start going back down? What then? Thank you in advance!
  • ladygirl123
    Options
    PMTpower wrote: »
    Try doing a fast. I do ADF (alternate day fasting) you can google it, it might kickstart your weight loss if you find yourself in a plateau.

I have read up on fasting. The only thing is, don't I have to or should, do it with a BCAA supplement first thing in the morning? I haven't bought one yet, not sure which to trust. I'm a 2x cancer survivor so I have to be cautious with what I put in my body.

I'm always afraid I'm gonna run out of fuel, and it's going to comprise my performance. Since on most days I wake up so hungry LOL
  • SueInAz
    edited July 2015
    Options

Cheers, h.

Thanks on the feed back! At this point I'm not so hung up on the 4-5lbs as much as seeing a body transformation. That's why I decided to lift since cardio for so many years hasn't done what I'm looking for.
    So I plan on continuing to lift, and just started recomp again, I'm not afraid of the scale. I'm gonna concentrate on the measuring tape now and I know I have to give it time. I decided to add bike riding at least 2-3 times a week to my regimen, since I can't run anymore either, (a once passion of mine) and I'm getting bored with my elliptical.
    Question: Now that I'm upping calories to 50/week, do I eat all of my cardio calories burned or is half ok? That I'm alittle confused by.
    And when I get to 1400 cal then what stay at that or start going back down? What then? Thank you in advance!

I'd enter at least half of your bike calories into MFP and eat those. I run a few days each week and usually eat most of the extra calories. I'm more likely to just make sure I eat at least my "base" calories and let my body decide if it's hungry for the rest especially now when I'm only running 3-5 miles at a time. I'm more likely to want all of them when I'm in training for half marathons which will start once the weather cools a bit in the Fall. I get hungry on the 9+ mile days. :smile:

I'm not sure about the other part. Are you planning to add 50 calories per week until you hit 1400 calories? I'd just suggest eating 250 calories less than your maintenance.
  • ladygirl123
    Options

Cheers, h.

I'd enter at least half of your bike calories into MFP and eat those. I run a few days each week and usually eat most of the extra calories. I'm more likely to just make sure I eat at least my "base" calories and let my body decide if it's hungry for the rest especially now when I'm only running 3-5 miles at a time. I'm more likely to want all of them when I'm in training for half marathons which will start once the weather cools a bit in the Fall. I get hungry on the 9+ mile days. :smile:

I'm not sure about the other part. Are you planning to add 50 calories per week until you hit 1400 calories? I'd just suggest eating 250 calories less than your maintenance.

I'm not sure what my maintenance is and if it is 1400 I can't go lower than 1200 and that's what I've been doing.
    1200 was my daily goal, I was only eating half my cardio with that. But most days staying under 1200. That might have been my mistake too.
    How do I get my maintenance?
  • SueInAz
    Options

Cheers, h.

I'm not sure what my maintenance is and if it is 1400 I can't go lower than 1200 and that's what I've been doing.
    1200 was my daily goal, I was only eating half my cardio with that. But most days staying under 1200. That might have been my mistake too.

If you plug your info into MFP it'll figure out your maintenance calories based on the average for a person of your gender, age and weight. If you then tell it you want to lose .5 pound per week, it'll give you a calorie goal. There's no real need to make it more complicated than that.

However, if you want to figure it all out yourself there are websites specifically aimed at doing that. Since MFP is working for me, I don't have a particular one to recommend but you should be able to do a search and find some.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    It hit me this afternoon that I'd never answered this part of your question. It probably won't help you but the company I work for has 9,000+ employees in Tucson so they have a fabulous gym I can use for a measly $50 a year. I really only use it for strength training as I prefer to do my running outside. They have a machine to test body composition that we can use for free. I just need to get to work early enough one day this week to go in there and have it done. :pensive:

• ladygirl123
    Options

Cheers, h.

If you plug your info into MFP it'll figure out your maintenance calories based on the average for a person of your gender, age and weight. If you then tell it you want to lose .5 pound per week, it'll give you a calorie goal. There's no real need to make it more complicated than that.

However, if you want to figure it all out yourself there are websites specifically aimed at doing that. Since MFP is working for me, I don't have a particular one to recommend but you should be able to do a search and find some.
    It hit me this afternoon that I'd never answered this part of your question. It probably won't help you but the company I work for has 9,000+ employees in Tucson so they have a fabulous gym I can use for a measly $50 a year. I really only use it for strength training as I prefer to do my running outside. They have a machine to test body composition that we can use for free. I just need to get to work early enough one day this week to go in there and have it done. :pensive:

Nice! Lucky you!