metabolism booster to Jumpstart weight loss

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    kianne123 wrote: »
    Everybody is different and everything people advise you will give you something to think about and test out.

You may also not be eating enough calories. I weigh 11st, am 5ft7" and walk between 2 & 4 miles a day. I have found out, over the last year, that in order to lose weight I need to be eating 1200 calories per day. I can have the odd day slightly under but if I decided to eat under that amount for a whole week, I'd see very little difference on the scales.
    I also suggest changing your food around, have different proteins, carbs, fruits and vegetables. Your body breaks different foods down in different ways (working harder on some of them) and will get bored and lazy with working on the same foods everyday.

It will take a while for you to understand your body, just stick at it!!

on what planet can you not enough calories and gain weight???? I want to know where this is coming from….
  • ndj1979
    As I said, "everybody is different". Food changes make a huge difference. Variety is the spice of life!

barring a meedical condition we all break down and process food in the same way ..and CICO applies to everyone.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    As I said, "everybody is different". Food changes make a huge difference. Variety is the spice of life!

Just no.

The only thing that makes a difference sometimes are medical conditions. Science is always the same. Energy balance works for everyone.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Everybody is different and everything people advise you will give you something to think about and test out.

You may also not be eating enough calories. I weigh 11st, am 5ft7" and walk between 2 & 4 miles a day. I have found out, over the last year, that in order to lose weight I need to be eating 1200 calories per day. I can have the odd day slightly under but if I decided to eat under that amount for a whole week, I'd see very little difference on the scales.
    I also suggest changing your food around, have different proteins, carbs, fruits and vegetables. Your body breaks different foods down in different ways (working harder on some of them) and will get bored and lazy with working on the same foods everyday.

She isn't failing to lose weight due to eating too little.

Why you anthropomorphize digestion? That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

I love you so much right now. That statement right there is beautiful.

• kianne123
    kianne123 Posts: 4 Member
    Whatever guys, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll continue doing what I know works for me.

A bit of positivity wouldn't go amiss, not exactly helping, more like lecturing.

Oh and what the hell is a "meedical condition"?!?!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015

As much as we would all love to believe that, we aren't. The reason there are formulas such as the Katch McArdle, mifflin st jeor, etc... is because most people are statistically the same. And of course with statistics, there will always be outliers (those generally with medical conditions).

And in all my time here, the average person who doesn't lose weight has 1 and/or 2 issues: 1. accuracy of logging (doesn't use a food scale) or 2. doesn't log consistently. Both generally lead to inaccurate knowledge of the calories in.

OP, can you open your food diary?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Whatever guys, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll continue doing what I know works for me.

A bit of positivity wouldn't go amiss, not exactly helping, more like lecturing.

Inaccurate positivity does, in fact, go amiss.

• ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member

There's a difference between being positive and allowing patently erroneous information to go unchallenged.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    ljmorgi wrote: »

There's a difference between being positive and allowing patently erroneous information to go unchallenged.

I agree. No one was lecturing...they are simply loudly stating that what you said was completely wrong and making sure the OP didn't use that information to guide her.

I also would love to have a peek at the OP's food / exercise diary. I suspect there is either little or nothing in there.
  • kianne123
    kianne123 Posts: 4 Member
    I wasn't talking about you lecturing me. What I do works (for me), I've lost 3 and a half stone in total. Don't worry I shall keep my ideas to myself in future.
    I hope you all have wonderful lives and accomplish all your wanted achievements.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Perhaps your time here would be better spent learning how the human body really works rather than highlighting typos. That would provide you with the basic information to give advice not based upon fallacies and misconceptions.
  • DeguelloTex
    I just did the math for the first time: I've lost exactly 8 stone.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

Congratulations! (But, what? I clearly need to stop reading so many threads because you lost me.)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

There is a lot of wrong in this post.

Starvation mode????

Body get lazy on eating same foods everyday???
  • DeguelloTex
    kkenseth wrote: »

Congratulations! (But, what? I clearly need to stop reading so many threads because you lost me.)
    It was prompted by the "What I do works (for me), I've lost 3 and a half stone in total" from earlier.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »

It was prompted by the "What I do works (for me), I've lost 3 and a half stone in total" from earlier.

Thought I was losing my mind. Thanks :)
  • psuLemon
    I wasn't talking about you lecturing me. What I do works (for me), I've lost 3 and a half stone in total. Don't worry I shall keep my ideas to myself in future.
    I hope you all have wonderful lives and accomplish all your wanted achievements.

I don't understand why you are getting upset. You stated some information that was untrue (starvation mode/your body becomes complacent if you eat similar foods) and were corrected. In fact, everyone in this thread has done the same thing. Being corrected it not lecturing you, it's helping you to learn and become more knowledgeable.

Starvation mode will only persist in those who go very long periods of time without eating (those actually starving). What can happen in those who eat vlcd for extended periods of time is call adaptive thermogenesis (metabolic adaptation). Essentially, your body can lower it's resting metabolic rate to compensation for the lack of incoming energy. Altering macros can have an effect on calories burned (aka - higher protein diets have a higher TEF), but the main point of altering macros is for satiety, muscle retention, hormone regulation and the like.

• ndj1979

maybe you should spend more time studying nutrition, and less time looking for typos.
  • earynnm
    earynnm Posts: 6 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you do not need a metabolism booster….just do the following and read the sticks I reference..

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you for your help. I don't feel the need to open up my diary because I dont have anything to prove. I like to eat and cutting back on what I eat and when I eat and logging food has been a very difficult process for me. And I know that I've been doing it because I don't like the way I look and really want to make a change. This is the first time I've ever been truly dedicated to eating healthy and working out.
  • psuLemon
    earynnm wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you do not need a metabolism booster….just do the following and read the sticks I reference..

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you for your help. I don't feel the need to open up my diary because I dont have anything to prove. I like to eat and cutting back on what I eat and when I eat and logging food has been a very difficult process for me. And I know that I've been doing it because I don't like the way I look and really want to make a change. This is the first time I've ever been truly dedicated to eating healthy and working out.

We ask to have your diary open so we can provide more constructive responses. It's not about proving anything. Bt if you aren't willing to open your diary, the best thing we can do is provide generic response. Outside of what NJD already provided, at the top of the page are links to all of the stickies, found here. Read these as well. In 4-6 weeks, you still aren't losing, you can bump this thread again and ask for additional help. But it would be beneficial if you open your diary so we can provide feedback at some point.