Pesticides in produce - are nonorganic fruits and vegetables worthwhile?

Options
Like most, I get my food from a big chain super market, Stop & Shop. Lately I've been including a lot more fruits and vegetables in my diet. Generally non-organic. But I've been reading how pesticides are very bad and are found on 99% of produce.

For example leafy greens, apples, and strawberries. All staples of my diet there. I do take a multivitamin, my question is do you think the nutrients of fruits and vegetables are worthwhile despite the pesticides?

Also, organic produce is often not pesticide free either. It seems the more you learn about food the more it seems like nothing is completely good for you. Anyways, what do you think folks?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't often buy organic and I'm still fine.

I think you're safe OP.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are safety levels of pesticides and monitoring of residues so in general I don't pay the organic premium.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I grew up on mostly organic foods and prefer it but where I live now, it's very hard to find and too expensive for my current financial situation so I buy conventional. I think for the US there's a list on the dirty dozen or something like that, about which veggies and fruits are most and least problematic. In any case, eating produce is always better than not eating produce.
  • GroovyLord
    GroovyLord Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have read an article that says you shouldn't worry about it too much. But there is the official "dirty dozen" list of the produce with most pesticides, and it sounds like something to possibly avoid or cut back on. Apples were the #1 culprit. But some produce apparently is naturally more "clean" and retains less pesticides, oranges and pineapple for example.

I guess I wonder if apples for example are a necessary part of a diet. I like them, but if they have the most pesticides, would orange and pineapple make up for the less apples in my diet? They have some vitamins and are good for fiber, but it seems you can get these elsewhere too. Always interesting stuff to think about.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    People have wildly varied opinions based on limited information

DDT was supposed to be safe. The same govt tells us all these pesticides are safe.

Thalidomide was supposed to be safe. The govt told us so. There was a generation of babies born with birth defects.

Smoking was actually touted as healthy at one time!!

I try to avoid poisons when I can.

I don't know for sure how safe they are or are not. But if I consume as little as possible I feel better about my chances!

It is a personal choice.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've been eating non-organic food for 40 years and I'm fine. Organic doesn't mean pesticide free, has no greater nutritional value, and is not "better" for you over all. I eat 4-5 apples per week and have never had any ill effect that a doctor can attribute to the minute levels of pesticides used on them. Eat conventional food and use the money you save to buy more beer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    There are safety levels of pesticides and monitoring of residues so in general I don't pay the organic premium.

I think this is good advice.

I tend to buy local when possible, and my usual source of that is organic, but when I buy out of season stuff (because I'm not forgoing veggies during the winter or early spring, for example) I usually buy conventional.

If you are asking whether you are better off not eating fruits and veggies than eating conventional, I think there's no question it's healthier to eat the fruits and veggies.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    ^Yes, this. As Mark Bittman says, eat REAL food whenever you can. I try to be cognizant of the dirty dozen, especially for my daughter, but in the end, if conventional blueberries are 99c a pint at Aldi, you can bet we will be eating a lot of those for a month or so! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    GroovyLord wrote: »
    I have read an article that says you shouldn't worry about it too much. But there is the official "dirty dozen" list of the produce with most pesticides, and it sounds like something to possibly avoid or cut back on. Apples were the #1 culprit. But some produce apparently is naturally more "clean" and retains less pesticides, oranges and pineapple for example.

I guess I wonder if apples for example are a necessary part of a diet. I like them, but if they have the most pesticides, would orange and pineapple make up for the less apples in my diet? They have some vitamins and are good for fiber, but it seems you can get these elsewhere too. Always interesting stuff to think about.
    Eat the apples along with the oranges and pineapples. It is important to eat fruits and veggies even if we are only 95% comfortable about how they are grown.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't often buy organic and I'm still fine.

I think you're safe OP.

THIS.Also, if you ever get the chance, watch Penn and Tellers *kitten* episode on organics. I don't buy into organic foods. sorry
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Like most, I get my food from a big chain super market, Stop & Shop. Lately I've been including a lot more fruits and vegetables in my diet. Generally non-organic. But I've been reading how pesticides are very bad and are found on 99% of produce.

For example leafy greens, apples, and strawberries. All staples of my diet there. I do take a multivitamin, my question is do you think the nutrients of fruits and vegetables are worthwhile despite the pesticides?

Also, organic produce is often not pesticide free either. It seems the more you learn about food the more it seems like nothing is completely good for you. Anyways, what do you think folks?

Pesticides are on organic food too. They're "organic" pesticides, like Copper Sulfate (Very toxic), arsenic-containing compounds, etc etc etc.

Organic food is more marketing hype than anything that really matters.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

One thing to remember is that nearly all produce will have pesticides, and that "organic" produce will usually have older natural pesticides based on the idea that natural is good.

Many years ago when it was discovered that the then modern pesticides were linked to health issues some made toe move to so called organic pesticides while the rest made the move to newer and much improved products that are not only less toxic than what it replaced but better by far than the organic products being used by some organic growers.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'll risk my life with pesticides over finding spiders in my bananas.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 8,001 Member
    Options
    Some of the spraying on produce is to prevent the minor skin blemishes that we, the consumer, find unpalatable and would never purchase otherwise. We are to blame for some of this. Also, in this day and age science can test for minute traces of anything. It may still be there, but is "one part per trillion" really going to affect us? I think not.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wash your fruit and veg. It removes both the pesticides and infectious contamination solving two potential hazards in one go.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I buy organic if its on sale for cheaper or close to the regular stuff in price. Otherwise I grow some organic veggies in pots on my front porch and I try to go for bulk grass-fed/pastured meats.

I don't think organic has no value to it but it is expensive. I'd say do what you can do. Cleaning up your diet a bit is never a bad thing but don't do it at the expense of livelihood.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'll risk my life with pesticides over finding spiders in my bananas.

Just count the spiders toward your protein.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just rinse your food and you'll be fine. Fear mongering is a nice marketing tool, but seldom real.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just use a vegetable wash on your produce. Not perfect or infallible, but eating fruits and vegetables is important. I never buy organic...can't afford it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    well, you wash your fruit and veg right?

also, organic produce also uses pesticides... :o