I just read people don't need to stress abut macros?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I'm hit and miss. Calories always count and macros, I try to hit protein. Don't really care about the fat and carbs part.
  • BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BJG7_UK wrote: »
    I've seen it said that people should first focus on the total calories, and when they've got a handle on that then maybe start to think more carefully about macros - I'm sure that's in the famous Sexypants thread. Kind of aimed at newbies who are getting confused and stressed about low carb/paleo/eat"clean"andneverneedtocountcalories etc etc and putting the cart before the horse.

Very interesting...

In another post I read from a runner, people shouldn't stress about macros as long as they eat fruit, veg and lean protein...

But, that didn't really make sense to me as that promoting a low fat diet and fat in a macro..
    Well, yeah, you're probably going to want more fat than that will provide. Still, you have to start somewhere and for most people that's calories, rather than macros.

My issue with the advice I read is that I did just that when I started dieting last time **fruit, veg, lean protein**.. and at 235lbs I hit a wall pretty quick. I took some convincing to track macros, and boom I drop to 179lbs.
    I'm gonna have to say that has nothing to do with macros, per se. You were eating less, probably because you were tracking.

I'm going to disagree, when I decided to diet and go "clean" (to the extent I was only eating organic) I was eating far far to less. A lot less than when I started tracking macros.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If people cared more about eating healthy food that tastes good, all the rest would fall into place.Of course not everyone knows what it is to eat healthy food but people should research more from a wide variety of sources if they don't know.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I've seen it said that people should first focus on the total calories, and when they've got a handle on that then maybe start to think more carefully about macros - I'm sure that's in the famous Sexypants thread. Kind of aimed at newbies who are getting confused and stressed about low carb/paleo/eat"clean"andneverneedtocountcalories etc etc and putting the cart before the horse.

Very interesting...

In another post I read from a runner, people shouldn't stress about macros as long as they eat fruit, veg and lean protein...

But, that didn't really make sense to me as that promoting a low fat diet and fat in a macro..
    Well, yeah, you're probably going to want more fat than that will provide. Still, you have to start somewhere and for most people that's calories, rather than macros.

My issue with the advice I read is that I did just that when I started dieting last time **fruit, veg, lean protein**.. and at 235lbs I hit a wall pretty quick. I took some convincing to track macros, and boom I drop to 179lbs.
    I'm gonna have to say that has nothing to do with macros, per se. You were eating less, probably because you were tracking.

I'm going to disagree, when I decided to diet and go "clean" (to the extent I was only eating organic) I was eating far far to less. A lot less than when I started tracking macros.
    You can disagree. You'd be wrong, because if you were eating less you'd be losing more, but you can disagree.

For weight loss, the driver is calorie deficit, not what you eat. For overall well-being, it's a lot more complicated.

• motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I keep my fat min 20%, Protein 1-1.4 per lean mass lb, then remaining carbs. My goals are different then some. I want to drop my BF%. BUT my lean mass is extremely important to me. I am not always spot on, but I do my best. Macros are actually my focus.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between "paying attention to macros" and "stressing over macros."

As long as I'm in the ballpark most days, that's enough for me. I aim for over 100g of protein. Most days, I'm around 120. If I'm at 87 one day, I'm not going to have a protein shake just to catch up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I regularly note my macros, but am not bound by them. Occasionally I fool around with changing them to see if there is a more effective way to eat, but they tend to stay within the general MFP guidelines without any attention in a micromanaging way.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I do pay attention to my Macros but feel that right now I just need to focus on staying within my calorie goal. When I reach my goal weight I will seriously start thinking about how to improve the balance of my diet, for the sake of my long term health, but until then I just use macros as a rough guide.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I read an email my long lost Nigerian prince brother needs my bank info to wire me 300 million

Hmmmmm

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the driver is calorie deficit, not what you eat. For overall well-being, it's a lot more complicated.

+1

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - really? Are you trolling?

People use MFP for a variety of different reasons. If you are just here to lose weight and get a healthy BMI then all you need is a straight calorie deficit and that is all one would care about.

if you care about body composition and strength training then macro /micro adherence is more important.

but you should already know that….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Very interesting...

you need to bump on your understanding of things…

• BJG7_UK
    Options

Very interesting...

You can disagree. You'd be wrong, because if you were eating less you'd be losing more, but you can disagree.

You can still hit wall on a calorie deficit, where you would stop losing weight?

• Machka9
    Options
    interesting, so people are just generally calorie counting?

That's all I track. It's all that matters to me. I want to lose weight ... therefore I track calories.

That said ...
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But by logging if the mood takes me I can check over time and then if something is jarring I can adjust it

Early on (back in February), I was craving potato chips, so I had a look at my sodium and discovered it was half the recommended value. So I started salting some of my food, and the craving for potato chips went away.

That's the one and only time I've looked at my macros and made a change based on what I saw.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    interesting, so people are just generally calorie counting?

That is how you lose weight. It's not macros distribution. It's CICO.
  • BJG7_UK
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - really? Are you trolling?

People use MFP for a variety of different reasons. If you are just here to lose weight and get a healthy BMI then all you need is a straight calorie deficit and that is all one would care about.

if you care about body composition and strength training then macro /micro adherence is more important.

but you should already know that….

Interested, and entitled to my own opinion like everyone ;)
  • Machka9
    Options

You can still hit wall on a calorie deficit, where you would stop losing weight?

If you are eating fewer calories than you burn ... why would you stop losing weight?

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For me, it's All about the macros. Macros first, calories last. I tend to gain weight on too many carbs, even when those carbs come from lettuce... so, I make sure the carbs are good ones. I also never want to go over on protein. When you watch your carbs, you tend to go over on protein because too many carbs converts to glucose. Too much glucose converts to fat. For me, at least, Macros was how I lost all of my weight.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Gentyl wrote: »
    I also never want to go over on protein. When you watch your carbs, you tend to go over on protein because too many carbs converts to glucose. Too much glucose converts to fat. For me, at least, Macros was how I lost all of my weight.

I can see why you would want to avoid going over on carbs, but what happens if you go over on protein?