I just read people don't need to stress abut macros?

Options

Replies

• BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BJG7_UK wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - really? Are you trolling?

People use MFP for a variety of different reasons. If you are just here to lose weight and get a healthy BMI then all you need is a straight calorie deficit and that is all one would care about.

if you care about body composition and strength training then macro /micro adherence is more important.

but you should already know that….

Interested, and entitled to my own opinion like everyone ;)

yes, you are entitled to be wrong as much as you want. It just makes you look, well, not very smart. And I mean that with all due respect.

I'm ok with that, I'm here to learn like everyone. And Thank you.
  • BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This response is for people who might read your post and think you're doing something other than being argumentative and bored. Because people do still read the forums to learn.

Metabolic damage: One needs to be on a VLCD for a prolonged period to cause metabolic damage. That doesn't just happen overnight. It happens primarily to people who do extreme cut-bulk cycles, to people who overtrain while eating too few calories, and to people with a disordered approach to eating (whether that be the below 1200 calorie crowd, anorexics, or morbidly obese people who are made to believe that they have to eat celery all day to lose weight), and yo-yo dieters.

Macros: They matter for body composition, muscle retention, hormone balance, overall energy, and general health. People have different needs, and macros are not something that are going to be the same for everyone. It isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. Distance runners don't generally want a lot of upper body mass (or even a lot of quad mass) to carry around, so packing in the protein to build mass isn't a high priority, but sufficient carbohydrates to fuel endurance runs would be. Lifters are the opposite, and protein becomes more of a priority. People who want to do it all eventually figure out a balance that works for them. Most people fit somewhere in between the extremes, and there's a lot of leeway for those of us involved in recreational fitness.

Your Metabolic damage description was basically how I started dieting.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You can still hit wall on a calorie deficit, where you would stop losing weight?

If you are eating fewer calories than you burn ... why would you stop losing weight?

by causing metabolic damage?

What does that even mean? How about we rephrase the question:

If you are eating fewer calories than you burn ... where is this extra energy coming from? Is your body a perpetual motion machine? Is it conjuring free energy from the aether?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This response is for people who might read your post and think you're doing something other than being argumentative and bored. Because people do still read the forums to learn.

Metabolic damage: One needs to be on a VLCD for a prolonged period to cause metabolic damage. That doesn't just happen overnight. It happens primarily to people who do extreme cut-bulk cycles, to people who overtrain while eating too few calories, and to people with a disordered approach to eating (whether that be the below 1200 calorie crowd, anorexics, or morbidly obese people who are made to believe that they have to eat celery all day to lose weight), and yo-yo dieters.

Macros: They matter for body composition, muscle retention, hormone balance, overall energy, and general health. People have different needs, and macros are not something that are going to be the same for everyone. It isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. Distance runners don't generally want a lot of upper body mass (or even a lot of quad mass) to carry around, so packing in the protein to build mass isn't a high priority, but sufficient carbohydrates to fuel endurance runs would be. Lifters are the opposite, and protein becomes more of a priority. People who want to do it all eventually figure out a balance that works for them. Most people fit somewhere in between the extremes, and there's a lot of leeway for those of us involved in recreational fitness.

Your Metabolic damage description was basically how I started dieting.

So you admit that you did it in an unhealthy fashion?

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So you admit that you did it in a unhealthy fashion.

[/quote]

You didn't follow along with OP very well.

[/quote]

My issue with the advice I read is that I did just that when I started dieting last time **fruit, veg, lean protein**.. and at 235lbs I hit a wall pretty quick. I took some convincing to track macros, and boom I drop to 179lbs.

[/quote]

• MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Someone tell me how you all can quote more than one post in your reply, lol!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    make sure the first quote doesn't have a backslash. That's only for the closing quote tag
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Who are you quoting after my post about OP saying he did what another poster describe as metabolic damage?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals...
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    make sure the first quote doesn't have a backslash. That's only for the closing quote tag

ahhh, I see. Trying it out now..

Yay, I did it!! Small victories!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Who are you quoting after my post about OP saying he did what another poster describe as metabolic damage?

I was quoting OP from the bottom of the first page.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Alternatively you can just press the quote button for each of the posts you want which will appear in the text box at the bottom of the screen.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

Hit Quote on the first post and then do the same for the second. And like jimmer said:
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Alternatively you can just press the quote button for each of the posts you want which will appear in the text box at the bottom of the screen.

Can you do that if your quoting from different pages though?
  • jimmmer
    Options

Congrats. Now you just need to set your macros up for correct quoting performance...
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    OK I got it, thanks guys! I will no longer hijack this thread. Continue on.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

Congrats. Now you just need to set your macros up for correct quoting performance...

hahaha, touché ;)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I actually thought you could but it doesn't seem that way!
  • jimmmer
    Options

hahaha, touché ;)

:D
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I actually thought you could but it doesn't seem that way!

OPen new tab

click quote on that page

copy and past.