Heart Rate Monitors and BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    1,641 calories reported by my Garmin Forerunner for yesterday's 21.3km run.

Incidentally for running I find Garmin tends to report the lowest calorie burn as compared to MFP and Strava. For the same run Strava would credit me 2,234 calories. MFP: 1,793. I've always assumed Strava includes other caloric burn beyond the exercise event and don't use their data for MFP. MFP estimates for running for me would be good enough.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    While I'm not sure about the FT4, but the 3 polar devices I've had, the FT80 did not include BMR, it only recorded when I wore the chest strap and hit the record button, I could wear it all day, and it wouldn't show any other calories burned, and the V800 is the same way, but gives me my calorie burn for the whole day, if I'm active most of the the day the BMR will be low and the activity calories will the higher or vice versa. The loop would only record when it got a signal from a sensor, but would give me an estimated calorie burn for the day. When you sync any of these with a polar app you will only get you're calorie burn from recorded exercises.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BMR is the calories your body will burn just being alive, if you're moving, and your heart is beating faster, then those are so small that it doesn't even matter.

Actually most of the cals you burn are from BMR. My BMR is 1600ish with maintenance around 2000, 80% of my cals burned are BMR, but that would equate to about 1.1 cals/min with maintenance about 1.4 cals/min. So if I exercise and burn 8 cals/min on the HRM, The exercise portion is only 6.6 (8-1.4), back out maintenance as I would do more than just be in a comma had I not worked out.

Once again this would depend on how active you are during the day along with cardio exercises.

Only extremely fit people are able to burn as much in exercise as they burn in BMR/RMR.

so what's extremely fit???

Being able to do the equivalent of a half marathon run every day, plus or minus.

Oh so those are the only people that are extremely fit?

The question was about what it would take to burn as much in exercise as one burns in BMR.

For that standard...yes, that's about what is required to be extremely fit.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    While I'm not sure about the FT4, but the 3 polar devices I've had, the FT80 did not include BMR, it only recorded when I wore the chest strap and hit the record button, I could wear it all day, and it wouldn't show any other calories burned, and the V800 is the same way, but gives me my calorie burn for the whole day, if I'm active most of the the day the BMR will be low and the activity calories will the higher or vice versa. The loop would only record when it got a signal from a sensor, but would give me an estimated calorie burn for the day. When you sync any of these with a polar app you will only get you're calorie burn from recorded exercises.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BMR is the calories your body will burn just being alive, if you're moving, and your heart is beating faster, then those are so small that it doesn't even matter.

Actually most of the cals you burn are from BMR. My BMR is 1600ish with maintenance around 2000, 80% of my cals burned are BMR, but that would equate to about 1.1 cals/min with maintenance about 1.4 cals/min. So if I exercise and burn 8 cals/min on the HRM, The exercise portion is only 6.6 (8-1.4), back out maintenance as I would do more than just be in a comma had I not worked out.

Once again this would depend on how active you are during the day along with cardio exercises.

Only extremely fit people are able to burn as much in exercise as they burn in BMR/RMR.

so what's extremely fit???

Being able to do the equivalent of a half marathon run every day, plus or minus.

Oh so those are the only people that are extremely fit?

The question was about what it would take to burn as much in exercise as one burns in BMR.

For that standard...yes, that's about what is required to be extremely fit.

Umm I think this was the question, but I will keep wearing and going by MY activity monitor, and you keep doing what ever it is you're doing.

"I have a Polar chest strap heart rate monitor that I use to estimate calorie burn for walking at a consistent speed (usually 3.5 mph). My question: is the calorie burn number from my HRM my total calorie burn for the exercise period? Or is it just what I burned for doing the exercise? In other words, is it already adjusting for my BMR for the time I was exercising?

I'm afraid my BMR is getting counted twice when I log my calories burned from my HRM."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That question was answered ages ago (and incorrectly, BTW, by you).
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That question was answered ages ago (and incorrectly, BTW, by you).

Yea I know, cause your always right, your way or you doing it wrong. And since I see you only see what you want to see, I said I wasn't sure about the FT4 but only gave the ones I've used!! so lets end it here.