Do you track your calories when you over-eat?

Options

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    YES U TRACK E VERYTHING.................
    IF U OVER EAT
    EXERCISE IT OFF
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I track everything, even ugly days when I'm over by 300+ cals, because I want to know exactly what's going on with my body. If these over days are not logged, I can't tell how well my caloric restriction & exercise work in that time period.

I'm not a goody two shoes by any means lol... but I haven't "accidentally" gone over in quite some time. In fact I'm not eating enough. But back when I would go over, as much as I didn't want to see myself in the red, I appreciated the benefit of it as well. I looked at it this way: if I met my goal most of the time and splurged every now and then, and I'm still meeting my weight loss goals, keeping track of my splurges would help guide me to see what I can get away with eating while not throwing myself off track. It was motivating to see that one meal didn't hurt me.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

If I went all-out at, for example, a potluck, chock-full of casseroles with who-knows-what for ingredients, or if I was nibbling bits of this, and tastes of that - MFP is such a royal PITA to track stuff like that. Sure, I could pick 'potato salad' out of the list, but *whose* potato salad? The one that's basic, or the one with a million calorie-heavy ingredients? And what if I thought the mac and cheese at the potluck was really rich and laden with calories - but it was actually made with cauliflower? Suddenly I've eaten perhaps hundreds of calories *less* than I thought....which could totally affect how I manage my eating for the rest of the day/week/whatever.

I hate his. And that is why I try not to eat foods that I cannot track. If I get a snack from Whole Foods I try to stick with things that have the nutritional information on it. I hate guessing and I hate having to enter things- it is so tedious.

This goes back to what I said about not tracking when I am really under my calories and need to make them up. Usually the foods that are hard to track are what I would be consuming so I just say fuggedaboutit.
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    not necessarily....I have my free days ...generally sunday..that I refuse to track..and if I know Im ging to throw caution to the wind...like camping next weekend...NO...I will not track it ...I know i need to get back on track..but I refuse to be a slave to my diet, my body, or a counting system. If I know Im going to screw up..why should i beat myself up over it by realizing I had enough calories for a month (jk) in a day. Just get back on track the next day and move on
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I do...ALWAYS...I flaunt my food! lol. I just rather keep a record of what I do. It's very helpful to log when you overeat.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Part of my weight problem has come from the fact that for years I've not been honest with myself about how much I eat and what I eat. I need to make myself accountable for what I eat & drink and the subsequent losses & gains. So yes, I try and log everything (there has been the odd occasion where I've lost track of the number of drinks but I do try ;-)).

Its the bad days I need to log more than the good days!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yea. I went out yesterday with my BF. We had some crappy food and I drank. A lot. I logged it all. Somehow was only slighty over my calories for the day. But def still track it.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me continuing to track my calories means I haven't totally thrown caution to the wind, which is good for me as it only seems to take me once or twice to fall off the bandwagon. So yes, even when I screw up badly I track what I did to the best of my ability. It reminds me when I'm considering doing it again that I can, and should, ask more of myself. :)
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I track it for much the same reasons as everyone else. Also, tracking let's me know how many calories/etc. I have available to "spend." I treat it just like money, if I don't have it, I don't spend it. If I do expect to overindulge, I do the exercise to compensate. I've even come home, logged, and found I was over, so out to the treadmill I went! It helps me keep in balance and not just eat as a social event in and of itself....it is very easy to eat from boredom, for reward or to assauge feelings. Tracking keeps me honest and helps me stay on track.
  • MightyMouse19
    Options
    Yes partially out of habit but also to stay honest to my tracking & survey the damage done!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I track lean days and splurge days and everything in between. The only exception to this is the rare occasion that I'm at a buffet (like in vegas last month) and have literally NO clue on content. Other than that I get as close as possible.
  • leslie_garcia
    leslie_garcia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As much as I dont want to I do it! I look back and it actually gets me back on track because I feel terrible after it. When that happens I look at my weekly goal and I eat super extra healthy and work out harder the next few days. I make my self pay for it!
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Some days, I just get sick of the tracking itself, and I'll take a guestimate and add it as Quick-add calories, and put a note in the section listing what I ate. I do tend to eat more once I've decided it's going to be an "off charts" day, and things I wouldn't eat ordinarily, but it's nice to have things that I generally don't allow myself. Some times, you just need to put your hand in the bag and not put everything on the scale. Or can't. And that's okay- all part of the balance that is life.

I get in a harder workout that day (and/or the day after), approximate the "damage" and move on. Helps, too, that going "all out" is nothing like it used to be- I'd guess that even an all-out time period (not usually a whole day), I can back off a bit. I don't have to cram everything in NOW because I've gone off- there's always another day. I especially try to pay attention to hunger signals when I'm not tracking, too, as I feel those are all wacky. I rarely eat if I'm hungry or not, I eat because "that's what I get or can have." That break is refreshing.

Trying to stick to closely to it makes me really, really anxious. For example, Saturday I'd eaten more calories than I usually do by 6pm, and found myself getting really snappy. I wasn't hungry at all, but was all paranoid that I would be, and wouldn't have calories, and then what and darn I shouldn't have had the granola bar for breakfast... and wait this is stupid! Why am I freaking out (and yelling at my kids) - this isn't all that! I should enjoy the moment, and if I'm hungry later, make a choice then and deal with it. Turns out, I didn't want any dinner, had a small snack and was right on target.
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do. It's not pretty to look at sometimes, but at least I can make them up with exercise or cut back on other days. Sometimes its not possible to do in a week though!

I'm not in a hurry to lose all this weight, and I'm not going to get obsessive about it like I did in the past. It's a life change, and most days, I'm eating very healthy (lots of protein, veggies, fruit).
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. No point in ever tracking if you're not going to honestly track.

This!!!! Absolutely! Every calorie! :smile:
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i ALWAYS track my food intake. I like the feedback on my diary and I feel it leaves me accountable, which really works for me!!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    ashamed to admit sometimes I dont' - its cheating cuz then you are like throwing in the towel for the hole day, which is bad....
  • hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless I really can't get to computer & it's too difficult for whatever reason to track on mobile phone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!