Do you track your calories when you over-eat?

Options

Replies

• eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I track every single morsel that passes my lips, every single day.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I'm still getting into the rhythm of tracking daily, but I value it for a slightly different reason...

Yes, it's good for me to watch that I don't take in too many calories. That's how I've gotten these extra 15 pounds on my frame (beer was a vast contributor...). However, in the past when I have tried to diet I almost always over-estimated how many calories I was eating. This led to very restricted under-eating and subsequent ill effects.

It's very reassuring for me to be able to end a day having eaten well and to the point of fullness, look back at my log, and see that I stayed within my calorie goals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't log on weekends or holidays, and haven't for over two years. I don't consider what I do even when I eat a lot to be "overeating," because it's planned. I'm careful about what I eat during the week, just so I don't have to be as careful on the weekend.

This weekend is my nephew's graduation party combined with his father's annual pig roast. I'm not even going to think the world "calories" at all.
  • BeautifulByChoice
    Options
    Not usually. I tend to just lean on the more healthier foods and watch portion sizes when I am away from home, just simply out of habit. Sometimes I attempt to track, but if I over eat way too much I usually just say "heck with it".
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do! It helps me see patterns in my behaviour! :0)
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes I log it all!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I track whenever I eat period, not keeping up with what the food I was putting in my mouth was part of how I got to be this way.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes because tracking is a habit now. I log it all, I figure that if I ate it, I should count it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    YES. Even on a bad meal / day / weekend.. I track everything. I'm only cheating myself if I don't log.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I track so that each new item is a new decision. Is this glass of wine worth going over? Is this mozzarella stick worth making it 200 cals over? Etc.

But I don't really judge myself harshly, like some people do. I make the decision and move on without guilt. It just helps me have the info that I need. Besides, sometimes I log everything including hours of dancing etc, and I end up with a lovely deficit! So I would have felt like I went way over when I actually didn't. Helps to know what to expect the scale to do too.

If you are going to freak out, fall off the wagon, cry, etc after looking over what you ate: Don't.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you wouldn't track your calories. It will only help you to record everything that you do, good or bad. Otherwise, it's probably a waste of time.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Yes ! I try to be completely honest. If I can not find a comparable food I try to add up calories separately, and will add some more through calorie add to be sure it's logged to the best of my ability. You only cheat yourself if you don't record honestly.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes. But sometimes I'm at a party, and I don't over-eat, but the calories are ??, so when that happens I put a wild guess in the calorie tracker and just list everything I ate in the food notes.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes. I track based on my weekly goal so if I'm over one day i just scale back some other day, but i don't log it at all my weekly graph is inaccurate.
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, every bite.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I try to but some times it is just to hard. For example this weekend I was at a backyard cookout for 10 hours and basically was snacking on little bites of things. I'm sure I overate but I didn't bother logging because I have no idea exactly how much of each thing etc so it wouldn't even be close to accurate. I hate logging if I don't think I'm at least in the range of calories that I 'really' ate.

This what quick calories are for.... i use the quick calories for when I graze at parties like that.. do my best to overestimate then make notes of everythign I remember eating while there.. It's the only way to really be accontable to yourself. If I can remember what I ate, I log it and add an extra portion or 2 esp if the stuff is homemade stuff.. cause you never know what people put in thier food or what they use to bake.

I estimated lunch today.. but i'd wager it's close. I had a fw more veggies on my plate then what is listed there, but i'm not going to stress out about a few calories.

Stress is killing me.
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes! When i over eat and i see that it makes me feel bad. Then i can make better choices. The only time i wont log my food is ehen i go camping for a week this summer. The trees dont have internet:smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. No point in ever tracking if you're not going to honestly track.

THIS. Even if I eat out I'm always under my calorie goal, though, so no problem.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I didn't this weekend - I had an awful weekend and have no idea of calories as it was dinner party (with host pouring wine - so have no idea how much I drank except it was loads) and then a restaurant that doesn't have calorie info.

I felt bad enough already about going silly with food and didn't need to sit trying to work it out - the scales said it all this morning and I have kicked my own butt about it - and know where and why I went wrong.
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    UGH... it kills me to do it, but yes, I log everything I eat, even if I have to guesstimate, because I want to make sure that I hold myself accountable. And when I don't lose weight and I go back and see why, I wanna smack myself.. and it puts me RIGHT back on track!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!