Sugestions on supplements please!!

Options
Hi guys! My name is Kim...I am interested in taking some supplements along my wait lost journey but not sure as to what kind or if I should take any at all. As of now I'm taking apple cider vinegar tabs and fish oil once a day. What do you suggest/or not suggest?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What vitamins and minerals are you lacking in your diet? Figure that out and you have your answer.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about supplements as in vitamins and minerals? Or supplements, such as things that promise a miracle weight loss?

If it's the latter, don't.

If it's the former, I'd always recommend a good multi-vitamin. If you're going to work out a lot, I would also recommend looking up high-potassium foods (the supplements, sadly, do not provide enough potassium to make them worth it). Potassium works with sodium to help you prevent muscle cramps.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No evidence that any kind of supplement, including a multi-vitamin, has any effect on health or longevity. Select nutrient dense foods and check that you are eating a wide variety to insure that your micro-nutrients are high.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a super low calorie restriction there shouldn't be any reason to take supplements. For people that are eating a 1200 calorie diet I would suggest a simple one-a-day multi-vitamin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I don't really take supplements for weight loss, with the possible exception of magnesium, which helps with pre-menstrual cravings. So not over-eating at TOM due to not having those cravings is nice.

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS: Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OP never mentioned cravings. Why so many words to discuss your own personal item that is not in any way relevant to the thread?

OP, a supplement is only designed to provide for something you are lacking in your diet. If you are lacking something, and can't fix it with food, select the supplement you feel is most applicable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Unless you are on a super low calorie restriction there shouldn't be any reason to take supplements. For people that are eating a 1200 calorie diet I would suggest a simple one-a-day multi-vitamin.

I assume you meant in the absence of medical conditions like anemia? I'd have to pound beef liver to get enough iron from my diet alone. An iron supplement with of 139 % of RDA plus the iron I get from my diet (I'm a meat eater) only gets me to Low Normal counts.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    What vitamins and minerals are you lacking in your diet? Figure that out and you have your answer.

This.

Supplements do not help weight loss.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I assume you meant in the absence of medical conditions like anemia? I'd have to pound beef liver to get enough iron from my diet alone. An iron supplement with of 139 % of RDA plus the iron I get from my diet (I'm a meat eater) only gets me to Low Normal counts.

Nobody has mentioned or addressed any medical issue, including anemia. Why do you bring up your own personal deficiencies, that are irrelevant to the OP?
    [Edited by MFP Staff]
  • ManiacalLaugh
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay, Friday has obviously taken its toll on the MFP forums. Now the idea of taking a simple vitamin is causing divisiveness.

-__-

If only the Flinstones could see what's become of this...
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

BCAA'S (was supposed to help maintain your muscle mass, something like protien)

Acidophilus Two Billion (heard it was good for you)

B 12 ( I heard it increases your metabolism)

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Nobody has mentioned or addressed any medical issue, including anemia. Why do you bring up your own personal deficiencies, that are irrelevant to the OP?
    [Edited by MFP Staff]

Edited or not, I guarantee that MFP staff that edited you laughed.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh my husband did buy me a GNC Womens Multi vitamin for metabolism and energy, I forgot the exact one l, but it helped. Made my pee a funny color but Def helped with energy and helped control my hunger.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.

SMH - and SherryTeach didn't even want me recommending a simple multi-vitamin. headbang.gif
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't really take supplements for weight loss, with the possible exception of magnesium, which helps with pre-menstrual cravings. So not over-eating at TOM due to not having those cravings is nice.

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS: Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3

Thanks this info is very helpful during TOM!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ^flagged for spam
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Biotin can actually make your skin break out. It's possibly beneficial for hair and nails, though.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

Reported for "advertising." Apparently the spam flag is only for bots. But yeah, ditto.
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Thanks a bunch!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

Reported for "advertising." Apparently the spam flag is only for bots. But yeah, ditto.

Do you think I should retract, and resubmit ?