Sugestions on supplements please!!

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

Reported for "advertising." Apparently the spam flag is only for bots. But yeah, ditto.

Do you think I should retract, and resubmit ?

No, I think that should probably be made clearer by the mods (different titling or something). If they get enough reports, maybe they'll change it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

BCAA'S (was supposed to help maintain your muscle mass, something like protien)

Acidophilus Two Billion (heard it was good for you)

B 12 ( I heard it increases your metabolism)

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.

B12 does not increase your metabolism.

The weight training is what helped you get your butt back.

Don't need anything more than fiber/fluids/exercise for your colon.

None of the above is necessary for anyone.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    No
    MzKym1981 wrote: »
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved my skin)

Super Cleanse (THIS REALLY WORKED FOR ME, MOST IN PART BEACAUSE I WASNT HAVING REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS TMI
    I KNOW, BUT TRUE. IM SURE OTHERS WILL REPLY THAT WITH ENOUGH WATER FRUIT AND VEGGIES YOU CAN ACHIEVE THIS TOO, BUT IM JUST REFERRING TO MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

Again this was all personal experience used in conjuction with DAILY EXERCISE AND DIETING. I know it's hard for others to refrain from judging and being cruel in forums, but anyways I hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch!

No problem.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    A bunch of posts recommending reasonable measure: No response.

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!

Yupp...sounds about right unfortunately.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?

If I were a lesser person (or just more desperate), I'd get in on this cash cow. If the MFP forums have taught me anything, it's that people will still pay good money for snake oil.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Which referred to a deficiency the OP never mentioned. Only mind readers can provide help, didntyaknow?
  • Laurenjenai
    Options

Lord have mercy, even with all the warnings that this is of personal experience and backing up my claims with regular exercise and diet someone still has to be negative and judgemental instead of JUST offering their own advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't really take supplements for weight loss, with the possible exception of magnesium, which helps with pre-menstrual cravings. So not over-eating at TOM due to not having those cravings is nice.

What your choccy cravings are trying to tell you

...While we all get peckish, there’s a difference between feeling hungry and having a sudden urge for a specific food. In fact, intense food cravings can be a sign you’re deficient in certain nutrients.

So, the next time all you can think about is a juicy steak, Dairy Milk or even ice, pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you and try one of our clever food swaps . . .

YOU CRAVE: CHOCOLATE

WHAT IT MEANS: Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so strong cravings could indicate a deficiency in a mineral vital for your skin and hair.

What’s more, levels of the mineral drop during the second half of your menstrual cycle, suggesting a possible link with many of the symptoms of PMS.

‘Drinking too much alcohol, tea, coffee and fizzy drinks can also deplete levels of magnesium,’ says Nicola Lowe, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Central Lancashire.

TRY: If it has to be chocolate, opt for one that contains at least 75 per cent cocoa, as this will contain more magnesium and less sugar.

Nuts are actually a richer source, particularly Brazils. Leafy green veg are also good, as are brown rice, wholemeal bread, and pumpkin seeds — though not quite so moreish.

If you’re a chocoholic and suffer from PMS symptoms such as irritability, headaches, cramps and bloating, it may be worth trying a magnesium supplement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html#ixzz3f7sXvGy3

What does this have to do with anything?
    a8o3zlv28hlr.jpg
  • mantium999
    Options

Lord have mercy, even with all the warnings that this is of personal experience and backing up my claims with regular exercise and diet someone still has to be negative and judgemental instead of JUST offering their own advice.

Quote the negative and judgemental part.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Just pointing out misinformation for the lurkers.

Where in my post did I judge you? I'll gladly edit out the judgmental parts if you can point them out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

As if I get a kickback from the DAILY MAIL O_o

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

There was a person selling Thrive supplements - they weren't referring to your post.
  • mantium999
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

The spam post was already deleted. Had nothing to do with you.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    MzKym1981 wrote: »
    Hi guys! My name is Kim...I am interested in taking some supplements along my wait lost journey but not sure as to what kind or if I should take any at all. As of now I'm taking apple cider vinegar tabs and fish oil once a day. What do you suggest/or not suggest?

I threw out apple cider vinegar tablets that expired years ago because they didn't help with getting fit or weight loss. There are tons of websites that claim ACV does all sorts of things, but in reality, they don't aide in weight loss or getting fit. What are you taking fish oil for?

They might help with your wait loss journey, but I doubt they help with weight loss at all. I personally would not spend any more money in attempts of pills helping me with either a wait or weight loss journey.

• ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    ^flagged for spam

Oops! Yeah, now it looks bad because the post was deleted, but the spam talk wasn't about your reply, @kshama2001 it was about someone saying "visit my website! I'll sell you all teh pillz!"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gah. Picking supplements because you heard they might be "good for you" is throwing money away or worse. I tried Niacin because I heard it was good for my immune system and I got an immune response all right. I itched all over like I had hives. Dropped the Niacin, lost the symptoms.

A simple battery of tests from the doctor, annually, can rule out deficiencies like thyroid, insulin, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and for women, iron. These are the biggies. Also, young women of child bearing years should take Folic Acid.

Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient in vitamin D.
  • Laurenjenai
    edited July 2015
    Options

Just pointing out misinformation for the lurkers.

Where in my post did I judge you? I'll gladly edit out the judgmental parts if you can point them out.