Odd Weight Lifting "Injury"

Options
LLduds
LLduds Posts: 258 Member
I am new to weight lifting and had an odd experience yesterday. While using the hip sled, I experienced a popping sensation in the lower anterior/axillary portion of my left rib cage. It didn't hurt as much as it was disconcerting. It was then tender during the remainder of my workout, so I iced it at home and took some ibuprofen. No tenderness of the actual ribs. Today I have some tenderness to touch the lower intercostal/between-the-rib area in that spot, but nothing else. Any ideas what happened? Maybe spasm of intercostal or external/internal oblique muscles? I'd like to understand what happened so I can prevent it from occurring again!

TIA!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's obviously testicular cancer.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    It's obviously testicular cancer.

Oh lawd :D

OP go see your doctor if you're worried.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Look up costochondritis. I had a lifting injury a long time ago in my ribcage, went to the doc and this was the diagnosis. I remember feeing a pop when it happened. Went away on its own but took a while.

Hope you feel better soon. If not head for the doc!
  • LLduds
    Options
    Thanks @ShootingStar72! It's not severe enough to warrant a trip to the doctor, but uncomfortable enough to warrant future attempts at preventing it. I appreciate the input!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    I'd like to understand what happened so I can prevent it from occurring again!

These kind of things can often be avoided by warming up properly.. 5+ minutes on an elliptical, rowing machine, or other activity involving all your joints. Then a warmup set or 2 of each exercise. Also, save ab exercises for the end of the workout.

You do freeweight leg exercises too, right?

• LLduds
    Options
    My warm-up is 20 minutes on the elliptical. I've not been doing warm-up sets, but rather starting with the weight I finished with the session prior, then adding 10 lbs for my last set. I'll definitely look into incorporating warm-up sets. Yes, I do free weight leg exercises - last time it was goblet squats and lunges w/free weights.
    Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My warm-up is 20 minutes on the elliptical. I've not been doing warm-up sets, but rather starting with the weight I finished with the session prior, then adding 10 lbs for my last set. I'll definitely look into incorporating warm-up sets. Yes, I do free weight leg exercises - last time it was goblet squats and lunges w/free weights.
    Well there's part if the problem. . Warm up your central nervous system with actual stuff relevant to your lifts. Of I did that I'd be walking into the gym to squat 195 old this morning. Then another ten? . Jesus. That's literally begging for an accident.
    I start with the bar. Add a small but reasonable weight and move upward from there.

You really shouldn't be trying to do this on your own with no guidance. Look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting

Something geared for a beginner that walks you through a workout and proper weight jumps.
  • LLduds
    Options
    I actually have a trainer but her expectations might be a bit out of line with my capabilities. I need to take more responsibility for my training plan. I purchased the Strong Curves book as well as New Rules of Lifting; I'll read them this weekend and revamp my plan. Thank you!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

This.....is NOT how warmups work. Listen to what JoR is saying
  • LLduds
    Options
    Will do! Thank you. I am very sore today (feels like a side stitch that won't go away), so I'll be educating myself to prevent this from happening again.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I actually have a trainer but her expectations might be a bit out of line with my capabilities. I need to take more responsibility for my training plan. I purchased the Strong Curves book as well as New Rules of Lifting; I'll read them this weekend and revamp my plan. Thank you!

You're trainers a complete and utter idiot if you walk in and the first weight you did was the weight you ended with the last workout.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You're trainers a complete and utter idiot if you walk in and the first weight you did was the weight you ended with the last workout.

Agree with this 100%.

Walk in the opposite direction and find a new trainer.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I second or third or whatever the warm up sets.