Stomach area

Options
I have been losing weight, however, I've noticed my stomach is getting bigger. I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination. Has anyone else had this and how do I get rid of my belly fat? I've been doing cardio, planks, mountain climbers, and a few different arm exercises with 5 lb dumbbells.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. No matter what you do you can't speed up weight loss in certain areas. It's down to genetics where the fat will come off.

Stay in a calorie deficit, it will eventually come off!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy!

Well for me that's worked, I've lost 55 lbs and belly is still a MAJOR issue, it gets me down some days,like really down. but I know it's been my fault for eating less than I should and drinking a lot on weekends, now that's fixed .

Don't do too much cardio though, I go for 3 days of cardio, around 25 minutes, I usually walk to and from the gym but my day isn't too active all the week so on days I don't do weights I eat less.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I hold in the butt and thighs but lose in my stomach the fastest. It's genetic. The only thing that I heard that might help you lose inches on you stomach and sides are weighted hula hoop. It's counts as cardio but is suppose to be do similar things like bell dancing. Most beneficial if you do it for thirty minutes or more. Good luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce belly fat. You just have to stick to your deficit and be patient.

Also, as you lose, your measurements are shifting and even though your belly my stay the same or lose half an inch--if you lost more from your bust/legs/etc, it can make your tummy appear and look differently to you.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I hold in the butt and thighs but lose in my stomach the fastest. It's genetic. The only thing that I heard that might help you lose inches on you stomach and sides are weighted hula hoop. It's counts as cardio but is suppose to be do similar things like bell dancing. Most beneficial if you do it for thirty minutes or more. Good luck.

And this is a no-because you can't spot reduce. Spinning a hula hoop around your waist does nothing for belly fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce belly fat. You just have to stick to your deficit and be patient.

Also, as you lose, your measurements are shifting and even though your belly my stay the same or lose half an inch--if you lost more from your bust/legs/etc, it can make your tummy appear and look differently to you.

This

And this is a no-because you can't spot reduce. Spinning a hula hoop around your waist does nothing for belly fat.

This too

/thread
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

+1. Lots of people can lose easily in one area and slower on another due to genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    Options
    Track all your measurements OP! I track natural waist, belly button and hip bone as well as hips. Recently I have felt my tummy looked larger and when I compared my measurements, I had lost around the hip bone area, beneath my belly. Stomach and waist stayed about the same but losing the fat around the hip bone/beneath my stomach made my stomach look larger.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I didn't say I could not lose in those areas they just take longer. And the weighted hula hoop is a way to engage the core muscles with a heavier weight that mountain climbers or planks while adding the cardio vascular benefits that are hard to get with some other abdominal workouts.
  • arditarose
    Options

I didn't say I could not lose in those areas they just take longer. And the weighted hula hoop is a way to engage the core muscles with a heavier weight that mountain climbers or planks while adding the cardio vascular benefits that are hard to get with some other abdominal workouts.

Ok...and how does this reduce belly fat?
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Doesn't strengthening your core have an effect on measurements? If nothing else, stronger core muscles would mean you can keep them engaged more of the time. I know that if I keep my core engaged, it takes at least an inch off my waist.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I think strengthening your core can help you stand taller and straighter, and it can effect your measurements. I've been doing pilates solidly now for over 3 years and I've gained an inch in height...I assume it is all about posture. (bonus, it helps with the HWP factor!) :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options

Doesn't strengthening your core have an effect on measurements? If nothing else, stronger core muscles would mean you can keep them engaged more of the time. I know that if I keep my core engaged, it takes at least an inch off my waist.

No. Strengthening the core does just that...strengthens the core. If you have good posture, the appearance of your stomach can look nicer compared to one who is slouching-even if you have the same exact stats and measurements.

You need to consume less than you burn, and wait for fat to come off of the belly to lose belly fat. Period.

• suruda
    Options
    That is purely my personal experience...nothing researched or educated about it! btw...
  • suruda
    Options
    OH...what I really wanted to reply OP was that as I've been losing weight other places, my boobs seem huge to me! I know they aren't bigger, just in proportion to other areas, they seem bigger. I hate them...
  • arditarose
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    That is purely my personal experience...nothing researched or educated about it! btw...

Right but it doesn't change whether you have fat there or not. Sometimes I stand in a way which literally makes me look pregnant, but I don't walk around that way. Especially in a little black dress. Regardless, sucking in and standing up straight doesn't change my body fat % magically.
  • DavPul
    Options

I'm curious as well.

And who accused her of not being able to lose in those areas?
  • DavPul
    Options

Even if true(ish), none of this has any relevance to belly fat reduction
  • arditarose
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I'm curious as well.

And who accused her of not being able to lose in those areas?

I have no idea. But I have a hula hoop in my closet. If I had known it would slim my belly down I wouldn't have been busting butt eating at a calorie deficit and lifting heavy for the past year. Darn.
  • DavPul
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I think strengthening your core can help you stand taller and straighter, and it can effect your measurements. I've been doing pilates solidly now for over 3 years and I've gained an inch in height...I assume it is all about posture. (bonus, it helps with the HWP factor!) :smile:

Yes. But that still isn't spot reduction