Stomach area

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Fat is mobilized at higher rates than it's burnt, and unburnt fat can be redeposited, so theoretically, this could be true. Prolly not, though. Try a tape measure!

Anyway, once you're at a certain size, certain exercises CAN make a stomach smaller. You WILL NOT lose fat from the exercises, but if you have weak muscles and a protruding stomach, you can strengthen your core and reduce your stomach that way.

Now that I'm in shape, for example, my guts don't slosh sideways (due to 3 babies) when I lie on my side anymore.

There's no way you'll see that difference without a huge reduction in overall fat. And that can only affect what's under the outer fat on your stomach, not what's under.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

And this is a no-because you can't spot reduce. Spinning a hula hoop around your waist does nothing for belly fat.

I didn't say I could not lose in those areas they just take longer. And the weighted hula hoop is a way to engage the core muscles with a heavier weight that mountain climbers or planks while adding the cardio vascular benefits that are hard to get with some other abdominal workouts.

Ok...and how does this reduce belly fat?

Since there is no way to discriminate against fat, there isn't a work out that will eliminate fat in a certain area. So this is a trick question.

But if you are trying to tone your arms you wouldn't do leg workouts.

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    suruda wrote: »
    That is purely my personal experience...nothing researched or educated about it! btw...

Right but it doesn't change whether you have fat there or not. Sometimes I stand in a way which literally makes me look pregnant, but I don't walk around that way. Especially in a little black dress. Regardless, sucking in and standing up straight doesn't change my body fat % magically.

I want taking about fast, however. Just whether/how easy it is to engage the core.

• demoiselle2014
    Fat. Sorry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I hold in the butt and thighs but lose in my stomach the fastest. It's genetic. The only thing that I heard that might help you lose inches on you stomach and sides are weighted hula hoop. It's counts as cardio but is suppose to be do similar things like bell dancing. Most beneficial if you do it for thirty minutes or more. Good luck.

And this is a no-because you can't spot reduce. Spinning a hula hoop around your waist does nothing for belly fat.

Doesn't strengthening your core have an effect on measurements? If nothing else, stronger core muscles would mean you can keep them engaged more of the time. I know that if I keep my core engaged, it takes at least an inch off my waist.
    Probably just means you don't slump then. Slump over and I bet your waist line measurement is larger. Doesn't mean you gained fat.
    Flexing and engaging any muscle will usually increase circumference measurement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

I didn't say I could not lose in those areas they just take longer. And the weighted hula hoop is a way to engage the core muscles with a heavier weight that mountain climbers or planks while adding the cardio vascular benefits that are hard to get with some other abdominal workouts.

Ok...and how does this reduce belly fat?

Since there is no way to discriminate against fat, there isn't a work out that will eliminate fat in a certain area. So this is a trick question.

But if you are trying to tone your arms you wouldn't do leg workouts.

So...you learned from the posts. Okay. Good.

Also, there is no such thing as "toning". You can't change the tone of your muscles. You can lose fat and reveal muscle beneath by eating at a deficit and saving LBM while lifting, or you can lift and eat at a surplus-to gain muscle along with fat.

So using what I think you believe "tone" to mean...the answer would still be the same. Eat at a deficit to reveal muscle beneath while running a full body strength training program.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    I hold in the butt and thighs but lose in my stomach the fastest. It's genetic. The only thing that I heard that might help you lose inches on you stomach and sides are weighted hula hoop. It's counts as cardio but is suppose to be do similar things like bell dancing. Most beneficial if you do it for thirty minutes or more. Good luck.

Doesn't strengthening your core have an effect on measurements? If nothing else, stronger core muscles would mean you can keep them engaged more of the time. I know that if I keep my core engaged, it takes at least an inch off my waist.

No. Strengthening the core does just that...strengthens the core. If you have good posture, the appearance of your stomach can look nicer compared to one who is slouching-even if you have the same exact stats and measurements.

You need to consume less than you burn, and wait for fat to come off of the belly to lose belly fat. Period.

Strengthening your core can, indeed, reduce inches by holding in your organs better. People who have been very obese or who have had children are particularly likely to have poor muscle tone there. A person with my exact weight could look like I do when I TRY to push out my stomach, for instance. And they usually do. Very thin girls with VERY little fat over their abs can rock a serious pooch from lack of muscle tone.

I have no extra weight or mass when I stick my bell out. But since I have restored tone in my belly, my belly has only pooch from fat over it, not from it not being held up any more. Those pictures on the left are slightly less than 10lb difference and are entirely at rest. I've lost a good amount of fat, but I also got some of my old natural tone back.

Toning the entirely pelvic girdle also makes sex better. And you don't pee when you sneeze. ;)
  • demoiselle2014
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Probably just means you don't slump then. Slump over and I bet your waist line measurement is larger. Doesn't mean you gained fat.
    Flexing and engaging any muscle will usually increase circumference measurement.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, that was my point.
  • nopotofgold
    suruda wrote: »
    That is purely my personal experience...nothing researched or educated about it! btw...

Right but it doesn't change whether you have fat there or not. Sometimes I stand in a way which literally makes me look pregnant, but I don't walk around that way. Especially in a little black dress. Regardless, sucking in and standing up straight doesn't change my body fat % magically.

I want taking about fat, however. Just whether/how easy it is to engage the core.

If you are working out and eating right than the inches and pounds you lose are suppose to be fat. You can always buy one of those body fat measuring devices as a way to track with measurements and the scale if you want to be more sure of the results.
  • arditarose

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, that was my point.

Your responded to my post saying hula hooping does nothing to reduce belly fat, so your point was unclear. As I was talking about reducing belly fat.
  • arditarose

No. Strengthening the core does just that...strengthens the core. If you have good posture, the appearance of your stomach can look nicer compared to one who is slouching-even if you have the same exact stats and measurements.

You need to consume less than you burn, and wait for fat to come off of the belly to lose belly fat. Period.

Strengthening your core can, indeed, reduce inches by holding in your organs better. People who have been very obese or who have had children are particularly likely to have poor muscle tone there. A person with my exact weight could look like I do when I TRY to push out my stomach, for instance. And they usually do. Very thin girls with VERY little fat over their abs can rock a serious pooch from lack of muscle tone.

I have no extra weight or mass when I stick my bell out. But since I have restored tone in my belly, my belly has only pooch from fat over it, not from it not being held up any more. Those pictures on the left are slightly less than 10lb difference and are entirely at rest. I've lost a good amount of fat, but I also got some of my old natural tone back.

Toning the entirely pelvic girdle also makes sex better. And you don't pee when you sneeze. ;)

10 pounds is a pretty big difference. My stomach would be flatter too.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Actually muscle DOES have tone. Low tone is associated with any number of problems. Areas like your pelvis have constantly working muscles that need to be able to maintain a certain level of tone to prevent serious problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_floor

Incontinence, uterine prolapse, rectal prolapse, perineal hernia and more are caused by low pelvic muscle tone.

People who are born with low muscle tone tend to have issues with dislocations and joint injuries.

The targeted strengthening of muscles is incredibly important for maintaining muscle tone.

The tone of muscles is also affected by neurological injuries and inherited disordered. Both high and low tone can have serious consequences on their own or can be symptoms of other disorders.

I suffer from a genetic myotonia. Look it up. Muscles have tone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotonia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertonia
  • demoiselle2014

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, that was my point.

Your responded to my post saying hula hooping does nothing to reduce belly fat, so your point was unclear. As I was talking about reducing belly fat.

I'm sorry I was unclear. I thought saying that strengthening the core would make engaging the muscles easier would make it clear I was talking about muscles not fat. However, the parent post is about fat, so I guess the confusion is understandable.
  • arditarose
    No one said muscle tone didn't exist.

Anyway, have fun! I'm off to the gym.
  • arditarose

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, that was my point.

I'm sorry I was unclear. I thought saying that strengthening the core would make engaging the muscles easier would make it clear I was talking about muscles not fat. However, the parent post is about fat, so I guess the confusion is understandable.

It's cool. Sorry bout that.
  • MamaBirdBoss

10 pounds is a pretty big difference. My stomach would be flatter too.

Read about pelvic floor dysfunction due to low muscle tone and its association with obesity and pregnancy and childbirth.

If you've injured your muscles too badly during pregnancy and childbirth, you may not be able to fully restore it, though. Both muscular and neurological damage can occur.

But it's such a good thing that "muscle tone" doesn't exist because I bet all those people out there with cerebral palsy are glad to hear that they don't actually have a problem. OTs and PTs everywhere can dismiss a huge chunk of their pediatric and neurological injury patients, too.
  • arditarose
    Wow
  • nopotofgold

Also, there is no such thing as "toning". You can't change the tone of your muscles. You can lose fat and reveal muscle beneath by eating at a deficit and saving LBM while lifting, or you can lift and eat at a surplus-to gain muscle along with fat.

So using what I think you believe "tone" to mean...the answer would still be the same. Eat at a deficit to reveal muscle beneath while running a full body strength training program.

Learned what? I said it might help. It is still the same, it might help. The work outs she is doing aren't so this might help since she ask.
    I like the word tone. So I can use it if I want and will continue to.
    If you need everything spelled out for you on what toning means and how working out certain area may help with weight fat reduction you really should just ask instead of doing this long drawn out chats on someone else's post.
  • arditarose

Learned what? I said it might help. It is still the same, it might help. The work outs she is doing aren't so this might help since she ask.
    I like the word tone. So I can use it if I want and will continue to.
    If you need everything spelled out for you on what toning means and how working out certain area may help with weight fat reduction you really should just ask instead of doing this long drawn out chats on someone else's post.

I was only trying to help, as toning is not a real thing and it can be beneficial to establish realistic goals.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    No one said muscle tone didn't exist.

Anyway, have fun! I'm off to the gym.

You said that muscles can't be tone, so yeah, you did.

It's pretty ridiculous of you to presume to know more than I do about the changes that have occurred in my own body. Especially since this is my third kid, and especially since (unlike MOST women with three kids) I have zero long-term stress incontinence after any pregnancy.

I had diastasis recti with every pregnancy. That, too, makes your stomach larger without a weight change. And that, too, is addressed through working on strengthening the correct muscles so that they maintain proper TONE to support your organs.

But, you know, muscle tone can't make your stomach smaller, oooooh, no.

Just like you engage your back and legs to stand up, you also engage the muscles in your stomach and pelvic floor. If they aren't working hard enough, all kinds of nasty things happen. "Mommy tummy"--and I'm not talking about fat--is only one of them.