Gym membership vs. working at home

Options
I'd like to hear from both sides here, whether you belong to a gym or don't.

I like my gym fine. The staff is pleasant, the facility is well-kept and clean, but ultimately, I am considering dropping my membership for a little bit. I'd like to purchase a health insurance plan (I do contract work and don't get it through my job) and start looking into options for a car, as the public transit where I live SUCKS. I mean, drivers are frequently late, do not leave the transit station when they are supposed to and it stops running by 7 p.m. It's made getting to the gym and back more of a pain for me, and I miss out on some classes I would like to take as a result of the crappy schedule and not having a car/license.

Right now, I have a decent amount of DVDs and a Wii with some workout games. I also like to walk outside (with dogs and without LOL...I have three pups). I live at home (long story) and work second shift, which again makes it hard to get to classes I'd otherwise be interested in, and my gym doesn't have tons of daytime offerings outside of Zumba (which I like) and other stuff I have no interest in (Piloxing, Tai Chi, etc.). I can only purchase so much extra equipment to keep in my room. I don't engage in heavy lifting and have no desire to start, so I don't need benches and racks for that kind of stuff. The only things I would miss about not having a membership at my current gym would be my Zumba class and having a pool. I don't really go to a social gym where everyone is best friends and chats during their workout. People are nice to be sure, but they're mostly focused on their workout, and I am the same way. I don't go to Zumba to be all hooting and hollering or need a "workout buddy" to keep me engaged.

So to you people that don't have gym memberships...what are some of the pros and cons for you? Are there any good reasons why I might consider not dropping my membership?

Replies

• Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    There are ups and downs to both choices, for example at home benefits are---less $, more freedom to do what you wish without people watching you or judging you, you can have the equipment you do use and not just pay for stuff that everyone can use. But the gym lets you choose many more options for equipment, classes etc.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel bad if I don't get my "moneys worth" from my gym membership, and that forces me to go even on days when I don't want to. The equipment options are also a lot more than I could ever have at home.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I work out at home primarily because I work out in the am. My husband does as well. He goes to the gym, and has gone to the gym in the am since before we met. I would never take that away from him, so since I choose to workout in the am, I stay home so our kids have adult supervision. (They're asleep 98% of the time.)

I have DVDs, access to YouTube, a treadmill and a bike. I have been primarily been either running or walking on the treadmill 9with one run on the weekend outside when my husband is home) for cardio. For lifting, I have a bench, a bar, a small rack, plates and plate-loadable dumbbells. I do not attempt 1R maxes or PRs or anything, but I am able to lift heavy things, and I like it.

I have been able to do classes in the past at my husband's gym by purchasing a class pass, so that may be an option for you at your current place or another facility. Check into local rec centers and gymnastics gyms as well. The gym where my daughters take their gymnastics classes offers Zumba as well (and they have a small fitness room I sometimes use to get in some extra cardio while watching them).

But, if you don't "need" the class atmosphere, perhaps check your local library for Zumba videos, find some on YouTube or purchase some.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym about a year ago. It's easier for me to exercise at/from home because I don't feel like I'm wasting time commuting. And when I was already spending about 30-45 minutes or more just getting to and from the gym, I felt like I should spend more time there. So there's about two hours out of my day. Much easier to just go out the front door and run, or use the weight set I bought.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to me its kind of like having a pool. i dont want the expense or my square footage being taken up by a gym or a pool. plus i like the social aspect of going to a gym and pool.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I honestly do both. We have a gym membership that helps to reduce the amount of our daughter's swim lessons and gymnastics classes, but I also utilize the machines there too. However, there are times when working out at home is helpful too. I get to be more machine focused at the gym (and swimming too!), and more video focused (yoga, pilates) at home.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have a yoga membership instead -and I go 4 times a week. Everything else I do at home... walking, jogging, rebounding (trampoline), I even have hand weights in various sized that I got from target.

I never liked the gym atmosphere, I always felt like everyone was starting at me and since I "couldn't keep up" I felt out of place. Yes I know that's not what the gym is about, but I was self conscious at the time and then I was diagnosed with medical issues so I just quit the gym all together instead of paying for it, since I couldn't use a lot of the equipment any more with the med problems.

But I'm still losing weight. It depends on what you use the gym for? Is there a machine that you like that you can't have at home? That would be a good reason to stay, or many machines makes it more financially stable for you. You can get Zumba on DVD too, but I've heard it's more fun in a group setting. Could just be a personal thing.

Hey, if you quit the gym and you don't like working out at home, just sign back up!
  • Samanthawatts33
    Options
    Luckily, I have a GREAT Y about 2miles from home, and $99 for the summer...I can walk there and back, not pay a ton and not have a couch and TV tempting me. Plus, joining on summer special voids my 'sign up' fee, so when summer is over $35/mo. A nice pool and equipment with built in forced warm-up and cool-down. Not to mention getting involved in the social aspects of meeting new people and finding a workout buddy.

Many studies confirm that a high percentage (over 70%) of people will stick with it when there is a social component.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    As long as I have had access to a gym with weights, I have been extremely fit. The one time my fitness declined and I gained a little weight (other than during pregnancy) was when I decided to stop going to the gym for 2 years or so. There is only so far I can go at home, without the expense (and space needed) to build my own home gym. When I was younger and actively dancing for hours a day (as a professional dancer) it was probably easier (although at that time I worked at the gym and worked out there regularly as well). There is a benefit to getting away from home, away from my kids, and working out at a place that has many many different types of equipment and options and the ability to grow in my fitness (increase weights, etc). I can explore options, without needing to purchase expensive equipment.

Ultimately, if money was no object, it would be my goal to build my own home gym space (if it made sense in terms of how I would want to use my space and if I would want a home big enough to accommodate that or not). By going to the gym I walk 15 minutes there, work out, walk 15 minutes home. It's a good practical workout. And the minimal monthly cost is more reasonable than moving into a larger home, having an extra room, and purchasing all the equipment on my own. The gym will always have options that I would not purchase for my home (plus yoga classes). But, I would feel more comfortable doing weighted hip thrusts at home.
  • Franacious
    Franacious Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have answered your own question through your post. I've used DVDs, Netflix or just used exercises from magazines to create an upperbody workout, etc. WIth all the things you already have at home, it sounds like you're good to go with dropping the membership. Also, if you love zumba and don't want to give it up completely, you can usually find somewhere that you can just pay for a class maybe a couple times each month for a few bucks a class instead of paying for the more costly gym membership. Good luck!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had gym memberships in the past (many years ago). While I enjoyed the classes and the variety of options in equipment and offerings, I knew I could do a lot of the same stuff at home. The only thing the gym did for me was force me to work out (as I paid for a long-term plan). Once the gym closed, I never joined another.

I enjoy working out at home but I really have to motivate myself. It's harder to do this, esp. with the couch and fridge close by. However, working out at home has helped me change my mental. I now think of exercise as a part of my life and lifestyle as opposed to a task I had to do in a gym. I have 7lbs weight and 10lbs weights. Ankle resistance bands. A weighted ball. A foam roller. That's it for equipment. I run (almost daily), do workout videos, use the cable 'on demand' to find workout programs, join workout challenges (via Pinterest and other online/social media sites), light lift, and just enjoy a more active lifestyle that is connected to my everyday, regular life patterns. I know I would have never cultivated all these other ways if I was still tied to a gym.

Now with a gym you can get one-on-one training or assistance with understanding exercise moves/ machines. At home, you can Google it, but its not the same esp. if you need help with form. However, that alone is not always a reason to pay for a gym membership. Yanno?

I would say finish out your contract but try to do more things at home. Since you mentioned that you don't need group energy or buddies for your workouts, you might find that you like exploring different workouts and exercises at home/ on your own. If you find that your motivation to workout at home is not high or your general desire to workout dips dramatically, then maybe you should keep the gym membership.

Hope this helps!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like working out at the gym, but hate driving there so I also work out at home. I think there are pros and cons to both. When I work out at home, it gets really hot during the summer (no AC) so I'd rather go to the gym then. But during the winter I work out at home more. I think as long as you have access to DVDs and YouTube working out at home would be fine.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    All of this really helped! I don't have a personal trainer right now and have never really had the big desire to get one.

The gym I go to started a new BodyPump class last week...they have had the program for about a year, but they just added a new class time that is suitable for me, so I am going to try that. I just hope I can get to the gym early enough to get a ticket and whatnot. It's in the early-ish morning (before 9), so I'm hoping it's not too crowded with a lot of people at work and what have you. So for now, I will keep it, and when I can get a health insurance plan, I'll see if it will be too much on me to pay for that plus the gym membership. I will still have the DVDs for when I work during the day and have to work out in the evening, or if I don't feel like getting the bus on any given day.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out at home. I can do it at my own convenience, in my underwear, don't have to wait for a class to start or machine to open or drive anywhere and I can use my own shower after my workout. If you like Zumba, there are several Zumba "games" for Wii. I have Zumba Fitness & Zumba Core, $40 each. Core is newer with better graphics, songs & routines. You can make a custom class or choose from cardio, core or cardio/core classes, track your progress & unlock videos of the instructors. It has like 50 different routines I think.

Personally, I prefer a workout program with a set schedule and variety of classes. Beachbody makes several 12 week programs that incorporate cardio & strength training. I love Chalene Johnson's programs TurboFire (currently in week 4) and ChaLean Extreme (completed 5 weeks in 2011 with great results but had to stop when I re-injured my ankle and didn't start working out again until recently). Using a dvd program takes the guess work out of working out at home. I like that once I buy a set, I have it and don't have a recurring expense like a gym membership. There is an upfront investment of basic equipment & dvds but it's probably close to a year's gym membership if you don't purchase any big machines and it is possible to get in shape without them.

TurboFire is cardio in HIIT format. It's intense but quick and makes the most of your workout time. I use a HRM and burned 310 calories doing a 20 minute HIIT class today. There are longer cardio classes that only have a few HIITs mixed in with kickboxing, dancey, lunges, squats & plyo moves plus 3 strength training classes and a 10 & 40 minute yoga class depending on which dvd set you purchase (message me if you're interested & I can get you the Amazon link to the set w/toning since the newer set is all cardio). I'm dropping 6 inches a week right now and haven't been bored yet!

ChaLean Extreme is heavy lifting to build lean muscle mass (no, you won't bulk up ;) ). There's a weekly cardio class similar to TurboFire. You need heavy weights, like 30lbs, but can get 2 $20 Gold's Gym 40lb sets at Wal-Mart that will work. Even though it's weights, you definitely break a sweat and get your heart rate up! I started this program after 4 months of Zumba, random cardio videos and light strength training - even though I had to stop after 5 weeks, that short amount of time had me more toned than swimming a mile of laps daily for 3 months.

After I finish TurboFire, there's a hybrid of both programs I described that I'm planning to do. Beachbody programs also come with nutrition plans, membership at TeamBeachBody.com where you are assigned a coach, have an online gym to schedule workouts - knowing my workout is scheduled helps me stay accountable - and puts you in touch with other people doing the same program. Not all coaches are active but you can easily switch coaches. The goid ones run monthly Challenge Groups, usually on Facebook, where you check-in daily, post your progress, motivate, help & encourage each other and compete to win prizes at the end of the challenge.

The closest I got to a gym was swimming laps daily during the summer at my university's pool when I went back to college but once school started in the fall it was too difficult to make lap hours. If you're motivated to get in shape/maintain yoyr current fitness level, you will do it whether it's at home or the gym. It does help to have a workout program you look forward to and enjoy though. Maybe start out with some dvds, Jillian Michaels has a bunch for under $20 - Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism was pretty good - also sparkpeople.com has lots of free workout videos on their website, and see if you like working out at home before you invest in a more expensive program. It doesn't work for everyone but personally I prefer it. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I work out at home.
    Pros: I can work out on MY time. I don't have to find child care. I can work out in my underwear. I don't have to pay a monthly fee..just whatever the DVDs cost.

Cons: I don't get to see all the people judging me. I don't get to wear my sports bra in public. You get where I'm going with this...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    For me, there are no cons to working out at home. I'm more likely to do it because it's right there, I don't have to waste time driving to and from, I can do it while kids are sleeping. I don't have to worry about a busy time of day or day of the week. Granted, I have equipment at home so I don't get bored: treadmill, dance pole, elliptical, spin bike, free weights, swimming pool, punching bag, and matted yoga area. I personally am less likely to get up and get in the car and go somewhere else to work out. Roll out of bed, put on non matching clothes, and not comb my hair to jump on the treadmill or bike? Now you're talkin.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting gym memberships a few years ago. I think I actually work out more now! I don't feel 'guilty' or like I'm not getting my money's worth if I miss a session, plus, it frees me up to work out wherever I like (I just pay a drop-in fee at one of a few gyms nearby or I work out at home).
    Bonus: you can take advantage of good weather and take your work-outs outside.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just ended my gym membership because I found I was not utililizing it for the money I paid. I LOVE the walking trail we have here in town as it runs along a really nice creek and I take my dog and she pulls me along at a pretty quick pace. I can do three miles on it, wearing my HRM. I also have an elliptical and then some weights at home. I really love the fitnessblender site for a great variety of workouts.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I worked out at home throughout my weight loss. I did take a ballet class twice a week, but it was focused on ballet technique and not designed as an exercise class so the calorie burn is minimal.

I did mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs (I have 9 of them!) and running outside when it wasn't winter. I bought some dumbbells for the DVDs and used the heaviest that I could for each workout. I have a yoga mat too, and that's all I needed.

I kept a dry-erase calendar on the wall in the room I worked out in and wrote in my workouts AFTER I completed them, along with the calorie burn according to my Polar HRM. It really kept me going, and it helped me to make sure I got a good variety of workouts week-after-week.

Unfortunately I can't do this anymore since I just moved to an apartment where I have neighbors below me. Now I only do yoga at home (it's the only DVD I have with no jumping) and I got a Planet Fitness membership so I can run (when weather is crap) and lift weights. I admit that I hate it though. I think the time spent driving to/from there, changing, etc. is such a waste and it annoys me, but I have to do it for now.
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I workout at home around 4:30 am. I enjoy just being able to roll out of bed and start working out.

I have multiple workout DVD's to choose from which helps with variety and preventing boredom. I also have adjustable dumbbells and a weight bench, plus resistance bands. That's really all I need to do everything that I like to do. The biggest help for me is belonging to an accountability group that looks for my texts everyday stating which workout I'm doing, when I begin and when I complete the workout for the day. This option just works best for me being a single parent.