Goodbye, Hamhocks!

half_moon
half_moon Posts: 807 Member
edited July 2015 in Success Stories
I am not at my goal by any means. I've been lifting weights (CrossFit) and eating right for two months and the scale didn't budge. I complained and turned to a lot of you for support and probably will do so again.

But today I am happy! The scale has moved a bit -- two pounds -- but my body is changing.

I've always had Hamhocks. Big. Jiggly. Calves. I carry most of my body weight in my hips and legs, so they were always the first to get bigger. I hated looking at them because my little ankles looked like they were whispering, "killll meeee" under the hamminess of the calves.

But today I looked down to see if I needed a shave (I didn't) and I realized my hand had to go further in to touch my leg. I looked closer and almost gasped out loud at my slender-looking calves. With a few wiggles of the toes, I saw muscles flexing and moving underneath the skin. Lines forming. I was in shock.

So here is to small successes like this! Goodbye, Hamhocks!

6qu95zpy0jmr.jpg

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Very cool! Congrats!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    woohoo!

The closer you are to a good weight, the harder it is to lose weight. It sounds like you are having some good changes in body composition though, which may be the harder thing to accomplish.
  • half_moon
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    woohoo!

The closer you are to a good weight, the harder it is to lose weight. It sounds like you are having some good changes in body composition though, which may be the harder thing to accomplish.

Hopefully so!! I would prefer it. I am 168 as of my last weigh in, but at 5'5" I should definitely be lower. But I ditched my scale two weeks ago and just weigh in once a week on the gym's scale. Screw the scale!
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    nice legs!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I have the same issue with my calves! I think in 30+ pounds I have only lost an inch in my calves. They are still 15 inches! You give me hope.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 124 Member
    half_moon wrote: »
    I am not at my goal by any means. I've been lifting weights (CrossFit) and eating right for two months and the scale didn't budge. I complained and turned to a lot of you for support and probably will do so again.

But today I am happy! The scale has moved a bit -- two pounds -- but my body is changing.

I've always had Hamhocks. Big. Jiggly. Calves. I carry most of my body weight in my hips and legs, so they were always the first to get bigger. I hated looking at them because my little ankles looked like they were whispering, "killll meeee" under the hamminess of the calves.

But today I looked down to see if I needed a shave (I didn't) and I realized my hand had to go further in to touch my leg. I looked closer and almost gasped out loud at my slender-looking calves. With a few wiggles of the toes, I saw muscles flexing and moving underneath the skin. Lines forming. I was in shock.

6qu95zpy0jmr.jpg

You are toning!! Calves look great! Are you suplementing your crossfit with extra stuff?
  • half_moon
    half_moon wrote: »

6qu95zpy0jmr.jpg

You are toning!! Calves look great! Are you suplementing your crossfit with extra stuff?

No, I've only been going to the CrossFit classes. There is a pretty good balance of cardio to strength training, so I am hoping it covers my bases.

I have been getting curious about hiking and biking recently, but if I were to get into something, it would be sporadic. Houston isn't too bike friendly yet (working on it!) and West Texas is as flat as a pancake.
  • half_moon
    And also, thanks everyone!!
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Hi there! I have very similar legs to you (your photo could be a photo of my legs!!!)....my calves are huge but I don't mind them too much as they are pretty toned from running and I like having that difference between calves and ankles. It's far better than having dreaded 'cankles' in my opinion! I'm also 5'5" and started with MFP on Jan 1st at 181lbs....I'm now 158lb with a goal of 140lbs or lower depending on what I look/feel like when I get there. Anyway, good luck to you!!! And don't beat yourself up about your calves....you have great legs....toned, strong and shapely!!! I'm always getting compliments about my legs and they are just like yours....they are my favourite body part. But, I suppose 'one man's meat is another man's poison', eh?
  • ToriJ84
    ToriJ84 Posts: 66 Member
    I love these types of NSV's!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!