FITBIT Verdict?

Options
13»

Replies

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went from the Flex to the Charge HR and love(d) them both. I wouldn't say it is an "investment" though, they are toys. They are toys that I enjoy and have fun with, but I don't take anything they come back with as The Truth (TM). I find it motivating when I'm nearing a step goal (conversely, I find it depressing after a long day at the office where I've just sat there and been "productive" and have managed a whopping 3000 steps, which has happened on many occasions). I like the added data, I've found the distance and HR relatively accurate (certainly within acceptable limits), it is fun. If you aren't a person who is willing to spend $XXX on a toy, then a fitness tracker might not be for you. If you think getting data is fun, you are interested in seeing the numbers and you would find that kind of information motivating, then go nuts!
  • soozquu
    soozquu Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love mine. While I'm not convinced it's accurate in terms of # of steps walked, floors climbed or calories burned, I use it religiously because it makes me aware of how inactive I am on days I don't work. It's that extra bit of motivation to get me to put my book down and get my big 'ole bum out for a walk.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hated spending the money but it is amazing how motivated it keeps you! Especially if you know fellow fitbit users and add them, you can have daily or weekly challenges that help you get moving even more! It's addicting in my opinion lol But in a very good way!
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and I love it! The graphs and data displays are a HUGE motivator for me, something I didn't know about myself until I bought it at my mom's suggestion.

Do be sure to take it off from time to time (I usually do while resting) to prevent skin breakdown!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbits. I have the One and the Flex. I also have a Garmin running watch with heart rate monitor.

The Fitbits are great for monitoring your TDEE and, at least for me, are pretty accurate. If anything, they underestimate my calories a tiny bit, but I carry more muscle than the average 43 year old woman (15+years of regular/heavy lifting).

It really motivates me to move more outside the gym.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, it replaced my old Ultra. I love it, it helps get me up and moving around during the day.

+1
    Got mine to see how much unplanned/not-counted cardio I do and I now move more than ever. I get competitive and love the challenges. It was a great investment for me.
    It is up to you, but I read that most people who have a fitness tracker have put theirs in a drawer and no longer use it.

Do you have one and is it in your drawer?
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love my zip and I really like the way it syncs up with MFP.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I think they are only useful if you are doing an aerobic exercises that the fitbit can track. I get the impression they are not very useful for things like weight lifting.
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my Fit Bit HR Charge. It is fun and motivating. If you have a Kohl's near you, purchase there. You will get $30 back in Kohl's Bucks to use later. I like being able to see who is calling me so that I know whether to dig in my purse for my phone or let voice mail catch the call. Have I lost weight specifically because of my Fit Bit, no, but it is fun and I enjoy the challenges and pushing myself to get up during the day. It is great for use during work outs. The one draw back is the size. There is only small and large. The small is very small...I had to buy a large. A medium would have been just right. Go buy it, you will not regret!
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fitbits (and all other activity trackers) are not some magic piece of gadgetry that will get you in shape; they are just a tool to help. With that said out front, they can be very helpful to a lot of people. I use one to remind myself to get up and move more at my desk job, or go for a walk at lunch, etc. None are "perfect" at counting steps or tracking heart rates. They just get you in a pretty good ballpark. *you can easily count your own steps, but I think repetitively counting to 100 would get old, so I bought a fitbit. Using a fitbit and integrating it into MFP is helpful to me and I would go out on a limb that those who are starting off exercising/losing weight would find a benefit as well.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I love my Zip. It keeps me from slacking off and has helped me to increase movement throughout the day instead of just doing one intense workout.

I don't sync because I do a lot of activities that don't have m/any steps, such as swimming and heavy gardening.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I really find my Charge HR motivating! I cannot go to bed at night until I have made my step goal. A lot of times I will make my step goal, then see that I didn't make my goal for active minutes so I will jump on the treadmill to make my active minute goal. Then, I notice I am really close to the next 1,000 steps, so I have to keep going until I reach that then I am sooo close to the next mile that I keep going!