Protein Problem?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I realized that I'm consistently under in the protein category by ~20g. Some days I have only had 10g left, but others it's still asking for 30g more.

Usually my breakfast is lowest in protein, about 10g at the most, and the other meals are a bit higher, closer to 15g or 20g.

Is this a problem?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just took a peak at your diary and your fat and protein seem a bit low, but if MFP set it this way that is probably why. What are your goals?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It might be a problem depending on your total body weight, the amount of your deficit as well as the total amount of calories you are eating, what your macros are set at, and whether or not you are exercising.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Depends on what protein is set for in the first place. In general, I'd try more to hit protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I tried hard for a while. I'd add cheese I didn't want to food. I ate more meat. I didn't like eating it or how I felt after I ate (not sick, just like I had gunk in my stomach.) Even as a child, my mom had to force me to eat little bits of meat. I just do not like it.

On occasion, I will crave some meat. But usually, I don't want any. It's very hard to get protein from other foods without eating a lot of them all the time. For me, anyway.

So, I fall short on protein. I suspect that they will one day figure out that not everyone needs that much protein, lol. It may be wishful thinking on my part. As of now, they say that we should eat it. We should all strive to eat healthy diets. I know it. But I just cannot make those protein goals without eating a bunch of food I don't want to eat and feeling like there are hunks of gunk in my stomach.

I'm kind of over protein. Bring on the fruits and veggies. I'm a rebel like that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If following MFP guideline for protein, even if you hit your goal, the amount is quite low. I would suggest aiming for at least 80 grams per day to start, and probably more when you get used to that. If you need to add in a protein shake, that can give you an extra 15-50 grams/day.

When in a caloric deficit, losing weight, protein is very important as if you don't get enough a larger % of your weight loss will actually come from lean muscle, not the fat you want to lose.
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would try some protein bars or shakes. I try to stay away from the ones high in calories and have soy. (The nutritionist said soy doesn't process in most folks stomach as well.)
    Premier chocolate shakes or quest bars (choc chip cookie dough) are my favorites.
  • caufit
    caufit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would recommend googling "eat right for your blood type" -- also protein shakes are a good idea and an easy way to get extra protein in.
  • cathipa
    edited July 2015
    Options
    caufit wrote: »
    I would recommend googling "eat right for your blood type" -- also protein shakes are a good idea and an easy way to get extra protein in.

Fad diet fallacy. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

If you are looking to get more protein in I wouldn't advise protein bars and shakes as your main source. Greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, beans, meat, seeds/nuts are by far better choices and leave the bars and powders for additional supplements if needed.
  • kiela64
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    cathipa wrote: »
    Just took a peak at your diary and your fat and protein seem a bit low, but if MFP set it this way that is probably why. What are your goals?

Weight loss is generally my goal. At the moment mfp is set to the 1.5lbs/week setting, though I'm still getting used to it and doubt that I've lost anything yet. At that setting, I'm consistently under the protein recommendations, though I seem to be over the fat recommendations sometimes.
    erickirb wrote: »
    If following MFP guideline for protein, even if you hit your goal, the amount is quite low. I would suggest aiming for at least 80 grams per day to start, and probably more when you get used to that. If you need to add in a protein shake, that can give you an extra 15-50 grams/day.

When in a caloric deficit, losing weight, protein is very important as if you don't get enough a larger % of your weight loss will actually come from lean muscle, not the fat you want to lose.

When I exercise, mfp adds that to my caloric goal and the protein goes up to ~80g a day. I've never hit that much, and I definitely don't want to lose muscle since I don't have much to begin with. I might look into protein powder, just to add to breakfast, which specifically seems to be a very low protein meal.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    An easy way for me to get some extra protein is eating dry roasted edamame - 1/4 cup (30 grams) is 130 calories and 14 grams of protein. I like the wasabi edamame best, but the salted is good too.

amazon.com/Seapoint-Farms-Roasted-Edamame-3-5-Ounce/dp/B000G32YEG
  • cathipa
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight at the minimum I would just make sure you are hitting your calorie goals and don't get wrapped up in protein goals. If you exceed the calories (& other macros) it doesn't really matter since you won't be in a deficit. Protein is essential to ensure you don't lose muscle mass while losing weight so at what your goal is that should be pretty easy to hit if your diet is good without having to use protein powders. Plus protein powders are not going to expedite your weight loss and are expensive. My daily goal is 117g protein and I can hit that without having to use a supplement.
  • kiela64
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight at the minimum I would just make sure you are hitting your calorie goals and don't get wrapped up in protein goals. If you exceed the calories (& other macros) it doesn't really matter since you won't be in a deficit. Protein is essential to ensure you don't lose muscle mass while losing weight so at what your goal is that should be pretty easy to hit if your diet is good without having to use protein powders. Plus protein powders are not going to expedite your weight loss and are expensive. My daily goal is 117g protein and I can hit that without having to use a supplement.

When I'm within the calories and in a deficit, my protein is generally at 1/2 or 3/4 the recommended amount. My goal is to meet the protein recommendation on mfp, and all of the other macros. I tend to be a bit over on sugar and fibre, but drastically under in protein, which is my concern because protein is considered very important.

I'm curious as to how you eat that much protein, 117g sounds like a lot!! It seems like I'm hovering around 40-60g/day, while the recommendation is closer to 70-80g.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You could always add in Beef Jerky as a snack( 80 calories for 10G of protein) Or some Greek Yogurt. You may have to get creative with changing up some of your foods. You can add in protein powder or bars, but I don't recommend them being your main source of protein.

Also, nothing wrong with going over your sugar goal. The MFP goal is notoriously low. (Unless you have a medical condition where you need to track your sugar).
  • cathipa
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

When I'm within the calories and in a deficit, my protein is generally at 1/2 or 3/4 the recommended amount. My goal is to meet the protein recommendation on mfp, and all of the other macros. I tend to be a bit over on sugar and fibre, but drastically under in protein, which is my concern because protein is considered very important.

I'm curious as to how you eat that much protein, 117g sounds like a lot!! It seems like I'm hovering around 40-60g/day, while the recommendation is closer to 70-80g.

I make sure I have high protein in all my meals daily coming from food. I do have a protein shake with added egg white during the week because I'm on the run and don't have time to sit down for breakfast. Of course I have a few rare days when I don't, but I try to stick to my macros at least 5-6 days a week especially on the days I workout. I seemed like a lot at first, but now most days I exceed that.

And it is ok to exceed sugar and fiber. MFP does not account for fruit sugars and without causing a deluge of antisugar comments sugar is not bad for you, but you need to have balance and everything in moderation.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I try to have some protein in all my meals. I find protein especially helpful in my breakfast -- it seems to keep hunger under control and, since I exercise in the am, I need the energy
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I realized that I'm consistently under in the protein category by ~20g. Some days I have only had 10g left, but others it's still asking for 30g more.

Usually my breakfast is lowest in protein, about 10g at the most, and the other meals are a bit higher, closer to 15g or 20g.

Is this a problem?

I'd be hungry in an hour after any of the breakfasts you had over the last three days. However, if they satisfy you, their low protein ratio may not be a problem for you. Are you full until right before lunch? How are your energy levels?

Higher protein and fat and lower carbs than the MFP default is the ratio that works for me, but I know plenty of people who do quite well with low protein, low fat, and high carbs.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I tried hard for a while. I'd add cheese I didn't want to food. I ate more meat. I didn't like eating it or how I felt after I ate (not sick, just like I had gunk in my stomach.) Even as a child, my mom had to force me to eat little bits of meat. I just do not like it.

On occasion, I will crave some meat. But usually, I don't want any. It's very hard to get protein from other foods without eating a lot of them all the time. For me, anyway.

So, I fall short on protein. I suspect that they will one day figure out that not everyone needs that much protein, lol. It may be wishful thinking on my part. As of now, they say that we should eat it. We should all strive to eat healthy diets. I know it. But I just cannot make those protein goals without eating a bunch of food I don't want to eat and feeling like there are hunks of gunk in my stomach.

I'm kind of over protein. Bring on the fruits and veggies. I'm a rebel like that.

I gotta ask, since in another thread you compared aspartame to cigarettes, and you think that they will say one day that it's bad for everyone despite the 100's of studies that prove otherwise, and now, you are saying that you don't want to follow protein guidelines because you think it will show one day that we don't need as much as "they" say...

Anyone else see something "telling" about that?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I gotta ask, since in another thread you compared aspartame to cigarettes, and you think that they will say one day that it's bad for everyone despite the 100's of studies that prove otherwise, and now, you are saying that you don't want to follow protein guidelines because you think it will show one day that we don't need as much as "they" say...

I compared the fights over aspartame to the fights over cigarettes, not the products.

You'd do well to re-read what I actually said. You'd see I did not say what you think I said.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I compared the fights over aspartame to the fights over cigarettes, not the products.

You'd do well to re-read what I actually said. You'd see I did not say what you think I said.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to imply that you compared aspartame itself to cigarettes. I was talking about the "science" so my apologies for being unclear.

You did say this.
    Some people (people who know, not Internet people) said aspartame is fine. Others said it wasn't. There were, "Well, in large doses, it's bad, but in small ones, it's good" things. The whole thing reminded me too much of the back and forth over smoking. Until they all agreed it was perfectly safe, I quit the pop.

And now in this thread, you said this...

So my question is this.... You say you are going to not drink aspartame (more power to you) because you want everyone to agree on whether it's safe. Besides the fact that I don't know what you can eat if you want all of "they" to say it's safe since damn near everything is thought to be bad by someone, do you not see the issue with these two posts?

You want to wait for a clearer picture on aspartame even though there isn't anything reputable out there that says it is unsafe, yet, you are willing to "risk" it on getting enough protein despite the fact that there are protein minimums that are agreed upon by virtually every nutritionist/dietician/scientist/doctor out there?

Do you not see the strangeness of those two statements?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hi @kae612, I think there will be a lot of different recommendations. But if you don't want to change your diet substantially and yet just boost your protein, I have some recommendations:

-Add wheat germ to things, like your AllBran or ground beef meals or blueberry muffins
    -Add TVP to ground beef meals and things like soups/stews
    -Eat more lentils instead of rice
    -Add beans to things