Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I tried hard for a while. I'd add cheese I didn't want to food. I ate more meat. I didn't like eating it or how I felt after I ate (not sick, just like I had gunk in my stomach.) Even as a child, my mom had to force me to eat little bits of meat. I just do not like it.

On occasion, I will crave some meat. But usually, I don't want any. It's very hard to get protein from other foods without eating a lot of them all the time. For me, anyway.

So, I fall short on protein. I suspect that they will one day figure out that not everyone needs that much protein, lol. It may be wishful thinking on my part. As of now, they say that we should eat it. We should all strive to eat healthy diets. I know it. But I just cannot make those protein goals without eating a bunch of food I don't want to eat and feeling like there are hunks of gunk in my stomach.

I'm kind of over protein. Bring on the fruits and veggies. I'm a rebel like that.

I gotta ask, since in another thread you compared aspartame to cigarettes, and you think that they will say one day that it's bad for everyone despite the 100's of studies that prove otherwise, and now, you are saying that you don't want to follow protein guidelines because you think it will show one day that we don't need as much as "they" say...

Anyone else see something "telling" about that?
    I compared the fights over aspartame to the fights over cigarettes, not the products.

You'd do well to re-read what I actually said. You'd see I did not say what you think I said.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to imply that you compared aspartame itself to cigarettes. I was talking about the "science" so my apologies for being unclear.

You did say this.
    Some people (people who know, not Internet people) said aspartame is fine. Others said it wasn't. There were, "Well, in large doses, it's bad, but in small ones, it's good" things. The whole thing reminded me too much of the back and forth over smoking. Until they all agreed it was perfectly safe, I quit the pop.

And now in this thread, you said this...
    So, I fall short on protein. I suspect that they will one day figure out that not everyone needs that much protein, lol. It may be wishful thinking on my part. As of now, they say that we should eat it. We should all strive to eat healthy diets. I know it. But I just cannot make those protein goals without eating a bunch of food I don't want to eat and feeling like there are hunks of gunk in my stomach.

So my question is this.... You say you are going to not drink aspartame (more power to you) because you want everyone to agree on whether it's safe. Besides the fact that I don't know what you can eat if you want all of "they" to say it's safe since damn near everything is thought to be bad by someone, do you not see the issue with these two posts?

You want to wait for a clearer picture on aspartame even though there isn't anything reputable out there that says it is unsafe, yet, you are willing to "risk" it on getting enough protein despite the fact that there are protein minimums that are agreed upon by virtually every nutritionist/dietician/scientist/doctor out there?

Do you not see the strangeness of those two statements?
    Pepsi took the aspartame out of the Diet Pepsi, so it's a non-issue.

I try very hard to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. I worked very hard to get sodium under control. There are a few micros I continue to focus on. I am often short on protein. I have tried very hard to eat the amount they suggest for all, but I just don't like those foods, so I do what I can without feeling like my whole life has to revolve around protein. I've given up the fight on protein. Maybe I'll try again and win, maybe not.

If it's strange, then so be it.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And someone's trying to pick a fight... *looks for popcorn*
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cleback wrote: »

Not at all. Just get sick of her inconsistent reasoning.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    cleback wrote: »
    Asking for some kind of reconciliation of "I want to wait for all the answers, even if there is no genuine debate on Product A" and "I'm hoping for a different answer at some point in the future, even if there is no genuine debate on Macro P" doesn't seem like picking a fight to me.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @Hornsby - would you please provide some links that explain the reasoning behind the protein minimums?
    there are protein minimums that are agreed upon by virtually every nutritionist/dietician/scientist/doctor out there

I want to see how they word the recommendations.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Protein is especially important for dieters in conjunction with some form of resistance training to retain lean muscle mass. I cannot remember where I've read this, but even my doctor agreed that's it's a good idea to eat more protein while dieting than what's generally recommended for this reason.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to minimize the amount of muscle I lose and maximize fat loss as my weight drops.

There are plenty of sources of protein that aren't meat. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, beans, quinoa, and various forms of protein supplements like protein bars and powders. I'm a vegetarian, that's how I get all of my protein.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Here's an article outlining the government recommendation and explaining it. For some reason, the actual government link won't load on my computer.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/usda-protein-requirements-grams-8619.html

It should be noted that these recommendations are lower than what's floated around in here, and especially note the caveat about more needed if you're active or training.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I notice that you eat high carb/high calorie snacks and lots of fruits. Is there anyway you could substitute in a protein shake or add protein powder to anything if you're doing a smoothie or something? Also, you could maybe try adding some sort of sausage to your breakfast or switch it up and eat some eggs. If you're eating toast look for breads that have a higher protein content (at least 5g+) so 2 slices is 10g or more right there. String cheese, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are also good options that you could add to some of the meals you're eating.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks @PeachyCarol! I figured there would be some sort of qualification like "half of all healthy people" or "97 to 98 percent of individuals."

@Kalikel - if you're willing to share, where are you on either of these recommendations from Carol's link?

Daily protein requirements in grams are reported in two ways: estimated average requirement, or EAR, and recommended dietary allowance, or RDA. The EAR is the amount needed to meet the protein requirements of half of all healthy people, whereas the RDA is the amount needed to maintain the health of 97 to 98 percent of individuals in groups according to age and gender. The daily EAR for adults is 0.66 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of weight. The RDA for adult men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. The RDA is usually reported as a single value, which makes it the easiest to use. The RDA for women is 46 grams daily; men need 56 grams of protein daily.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to have her come back and tell you that she meets the RDA so that you can tell me "I told you so" or something? If that is the case, you can stop since how much protein she consumes has nothing to do with the back and forth we had and only had to do with the inconsistent reasoning...
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I tried hard for a while. I'd add cheese I didn't want to food. I ate more meat. I didn't like eating it or how I felt after I ate (not sick, just like I had gunk in my stomach.) Even as a child, my mom had to force me to eat little bits of meat. I just do not like it.

On occasion, I will crave some meat. But usually, I don't want any. It's very hard to get protein from other foods without eating a lot of them all the time. For me, anyway.

I'm kind of over protein. Bring on the fruits and veggies. I'm a rebel like that.

I make up a lot of my protein need with protein shakes and protein bars. I really have to watch the fat, though. Those protein replacement foods are high in fat and calories, both. I use chicken and jumbo shrimp lately to cover most of my protein needs. I eat broccoli like it's going out of style...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks @PeachyCarol! I figured there would be some sort of qualification like "half of all healthy people" or "97 to 98 percent of individuals."

@Kalikel - if you're willing to share, where are you on either of these recommendations from Carol's link?

Daily protein requirements in grams are reported in two ways: estimated average requirement, or EAR, and recommended dietary allowance, or RDA. The EAR is the amount needed to meet the protein requirements of half of all healthy people, whereas the RDA is the amount needed to maintain the health of 97 to 98 percent of individuals in groups according to age and gender. The daily EAR for adults is 0.66 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of weight. The RDA for adult men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight. The RDA is usually reported as a single value, which makes it the easiest to use. The RDA for women is 46 grams daily; men need 56 grams of protein daily.
    I didn't click the link. I know how much protein I'm supposed to eat. I know how much athletes can take in before it does them no more good. I know many and various things protein does in the body, including things that have nothing to do with muscles. I'm up to here (that's pretty high, like forehead level) on protein info.

I just don't like protein foods. I only eat meat when I crave it and even then I feel like I just swallowed lead. I can't eat most dairy. I have seafood allergies. I do eat protein. It's not like I'm not ponying up the dough for edamame. I do. Tuna, quinoa, etc. I never said I didn't eat any, lol.

I fall short. For a long time, I tried very hard to eat all these protein foods to make the goal, but I hated eating it. There is only so much cottage cheese I want to swallow.

I was just posting for the OP. There aren't many of us with protein issues and I wanted to let OP know they aren't alone in it. I didn't (and don't) want to make this all about my personal protein issues.

If anyone wants to discuss my personal protein stuff, please message me. I feel like the OP won't get their responses.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Those don't cover people dieting. Dieters need more protein. People who exercise need more protein.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Protein is especially important for dieters in conjunction with some form of resistance training to retain lean muscle mass. I cannot remember where I've read this, but even my doctor agreed that's it's a good idea to eat more protein while dieting than what's generally recommended for this reason.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to minimize the amount of muscle I lose and maximize fat loss as my weight drops.

There are plenty of sources of protein that aren't meat. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, beans, quinoa, and various forms of protein supplements like protein bars and powders. I'm a vegetarian, that's how I get all of my protein.

Agreed.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I make up a lot of my protein need with protein shakes and protein bars. I really have to watch the fat, though. Those protein replacement foods are high in fat and calories, both. I use chicken and jumbo shrimp lately to cover most of my protein needs. I eat broccoli like it's going out of style...

Which brand did you use? I've never tried a protein powder that had a lot of fat in it. My protein bars also have minimal fat in comparison to their protein content.

• flamingblades
    Options

Which brand did you use? I've never tried a protein powder that had a lot of fat in it. My protein bars also have minimal fat in comparison to their protein content.
    I have been using Atkins protein shakes, as I haven't found a powder that doesn't taste awful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because someday I just may go off meat all together. I also use Quest bars.
  • flamingblades
    Options
    since we can't endorse products thru the web site, maybe you can shoot me a message to my MFP E-mail messaging system.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cellucor Protein powder only has 1G of fat per serving just as a heads up. (not really an endorsement, more like an FYI ;) )

I have been using Atkins protein shakes, as I haven't found a powder that doesn't taste awful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because someday I just may go off meat all together. I also use Quest bars.

• kshama2001
    Options

I didn't click the link. I know how much protein I'm supposed to eat. I know how much athletes can take in before it does them no more good. I know many and various things protein does in the body, including things that have nothing to do with muscles. I'm up to here (that's pretty high, like forehead level) on protein info.

I just don't like protein foods. I only eat meat when I crave it and even then I feel like I just swallowed lead. I can't eat most dairy. I have seafood allergies. I do eat protein. It's not like I'm not ponying up the dough for edamame. I do. Tuna, quinoa, etc. I never said I didn't eat any, lol.

I fall short. For a long time, I tried very hard to eat all these protein foods to make the goal, but I hated eating it. There is only so much cottage cheese I want to swallow.

I was just posting for the OP. There aren't many of us with protein issues and I wanted to let OP know they aren't alone in it. I didn't (and don't) want to make this all about my personal protein issues.

If anyone wants to discuss my personal protein stuff, please message me. I feel like the OP won't get their responses.

Understood :)

I was potentially going to make a point about individuals vs statistics and reiterate that I know plenty of people who do quite well with lower protein.