How do I maintain my weight, but get a flat stomach?

2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Find a weight lifting and AB routine that challanges you. Continue with your diet. Once you feel your ABs are strong and can physically feel them, then slowly diet down to make them visiable. However, from past experience it isnt a good idea to stay at a low BF% for an extended period.

That actually would depend on your definition of low. She could potentially see her abs or have a flat stomach at 18%, which is fairly easy and not harmful to maintain. Dropping to stage ready body fat is a different story.

Also, the dieting down still may not be appropriate when she can feel abs. If her lean mass is still low she could feel abs and end up underweight when she diets down.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Find a weight lifting and AB routine that challanges you. Continue with your diet. Once you feel your ABs are strong and can physically feel them, then slowly diet down to make them visiable. However, from past experience it isnt a good idea to stay at a low BF% for an extended period.

Also, the dieting down still may not be appropriate when she can feel abs. If her lean mass is still low she could feel abs and end up underweight when she diets down.

This. I've been underweight and still had belly fat with no visible abs.
    If you are at a healthy weight you are comfortable at, the slow route of recomp is imo advisable.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Listen to usmcmp. Finally decided to recomp with her advice and have lost a jean size with heavy lifting, adequate protein and maintenance calories. I have been trying to get back to that size for years by losing the "last 5 pounds" but now I'm finally get smaller by eating more.

Post of the year. I wish more people would follow her advice.