Diet is being challenged.. what to do?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    Kaelan1995 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It's all about caloric deficit, NOT, giving up foods. Also, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "no wheat bread" reference.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Someone told me to NEVER eat plain white bread.. it would cause you to gain weight like crazy. So i have been eating whole grain, wheat bread.. (the brown kind) because it hasn't been bleached.

Bleached flour is avoided by many (and outlawed in most of the developed world) because there are some unhealthy processes involved with it. It's not the color, it's the process of bleaching. You can find unbleached whole white wheat. I use it all the time.

It's not the color. It's the "bleached" part that people avoid. Unbleached White Whole Wheat will be white and as healthy as anyone wants it to be.

There are those who avoid white bread because they overeat it, but that's not related to the bleaching.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Did someone say donut?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »
    It's all about caloric deficit, NOT, giving up foods. Also, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "no wheat bread" reference.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Someone told me to NEVER eat plain white bread.. it would cause you to gain weight like crazy. So i have been eating whole grain, wheat bread.. (the brown kind) because it hasn't been bleached.

Nope, weight loss is... math. Nutritionally the wheat is probably better, but may or may not be lower calorie and better for weight loss.

White bread will not make you "gain weight like crazy".

^^Yep, this....

Sidetracking side note, but why are you aiming for such a low caloric intake goal? Dr. prescribed?
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Not eating the bread and just the 'insides' of the sandwich is a good idea if the bread isn't to your liking. I don't like white bread either. Has nothing to do with health, just don't like it.

When I take my own food somewhere I make sure to take enough for everyone. My go to is a big spinach salad. Most people in a buffet type get together won't take a large portion. I fill up on that and nibble on other things if they appeal to me.

I've also been known to go to the ladies room and sneak bites of a Questbar I have hidden in my purse. ;)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Did someone say donut?

Nope, they said Dorito.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member

So not true. I refuse to give up white bread and I have lost 59 pounds.Matter of fact I have bread pretty much every day.

• Hornsby
    Kalikel wrote: »

If it's a short party, you donut have to eat while there.
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Did someone say donut?

Nope, they said Dorito.

Think again...

Dumb autocorrect....made me laugh.
  • sofaking6
    Did someone say donut?

Nope, they said Dorito.

Ah. I guess I donut read so carefully sometimes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    If the bread is something nasty like Wonderbread, take out the meat and the cheese and just eat that. Then roll the bread slices into little nuggets and fire them at people. If it's nice crusty bread, eat half a sandwich.

LAUGHMAZZTAZZ.jpg
    You could also bring your own food.

Ya, I was at Mom's for most of the day yesterday and for one meal I brought my own and for the other I brought food to share and did the best estimating I could.

@Kaelan1995 - the problem for me at family gatherings is continuing to eat mindfully rather than eating a lot because of all the variety and being distracted by the conversations. So I try to take small amounts, small bites, and chew thoroughly.

I also make sure I get in extra exercise before the event.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Are you going to spend the rest of your life being anxious about social eating or never eating a Dorito, a serving of cheese or a sandwich ever again?

You are eating at a massive (too big?) deficit, and have been doing so all week, there is no reason that enjoying yourself at the party and eating a reasonable amount is going to effect anything in the long-term.

Drop the guilt, drop the associated negative emotions in regards to food and view all food stuff as the number of calories and macronutrients they contain and how you can fit them in to your allocated allowance.

Agreed. You are 450 lbs. You can easily eat 2000 calories and still lose weight.
  • sofaking6
    RGv2 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »

Nope, weight loss is... math. Nutritionally the wheat is probably better, but may or may not be lower calorie and better for weight loss.

White bread will not make you "gain weight like crazy".

^^Yep, this....

Sidetracking side note, but why are you aiming for such a low caloric intake goal? Dr. prescribed?

Same question. OP - you don't need to be that hungry for at least 200 lbs...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

Did someone say donut?

Nope, they said Dorito.

Think again...

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I've edited it.
  • Hornsby

Did someone say donut?

Nope, they said Dorito.

Think again...

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I've edited it.

Despite our back and forth earlier, I hope you know it was all in fun. I donut want you to be mad at me. It was just funny cause the sentence it was in... It was subliminal marketing...
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Agreed. You are 450 lbs. You can easily eat 2000 calories and still lose weight.

Heck I am 200 pounds lighter than that, and I eat over 2000 calories. Some days I eat over 3,000 calories, and am loosing nicely. There is no logical reason to force yourself to be at such a massive deficit. My Dr told me to do 1200 calories. I prefer to have some long term success rather than get in a great hurry and starve myself into failure.

Anyway being late to the discussion. I hope you had a great time at the party and got to enjoy some of that yummy food, in moderation of course.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

If you are following the GI index (basically how fast food sugar enter the blood), whole wheat bread is often higher on the GI index than white bread.

Skip the bread. Eat roast and veggies and fruit would be my advice. And have fun. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

If you are following the GI index (basically how fast food sugar enter the blood), whole wheat bread is often higher on the GI index than white bread.

Skip the bread. Eat roast and veggies and fruit would be my advice. And have fun. :)

That's a lie.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I only eat white farmhouse bread...cos I like it and it's 103 calories a slice

Calories is all that matters
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I think you should just go easy on the food. Small sandwhich and maybe some fruit if they have some. You're 19 years old and you're 300 pounds overweight which would suggest to me that you have some portion control issues. Try and stay away from the chips and sodas. I do think you are cutting too much back if your're only eating 1500 calories each day. That is not going to be sustainable for you and you will probably give up.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Yoshirio wrote: »

So not true. I refuse to give up white bread and I have lost 59 pounds.Matter of fact I have bread pretty much every day.

Sure...but the OP has a medical condition. He needs to be on a reduced-carb diet.

You can't compare your experience to his.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    edited July 2015
    Kaelan: if you're still reading.
    a) Make a nice sandwich where you double or triple the filling and have half or less of the bread. each couple of slices of bread are 200-250Cal, probably more than the filling unless you're dealing with mayo!
    b) if you eat doritos expect a disproportional water weight gain tomorrow because of the salt
    c) if you have been low-carbing, the same because you're eating carbs
    d) take a deep breath and when you come home tonight get back on the drawing board.

read the stickies included in the first forum post.
    read the sexypants post in particular.

You have years to go and absolutely no need to be only eating this, or only eating that, and definitely no over-riding need to only eat 1500 Cal when in actual fact you can probably lose weight while eating almost double that.

Nothing wrong at your current weight with losing a bit faster in the beginning; but, for you, the over-riding part is going to be keeping at it long enough!

And I don't know about most people, but I sure as heck am a lot more comfortable losing weight while eating over 2K calories a day (a level I feel I can keep eating at indefinitely, in fact a level I picked because it IS my long term maintenance level), than if I were forcing myself to lose at 1500 Cal, which would make me lose weight faster, and much more miserably.