Problems with unlimited food/buffet style

Options
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some tips to avoid binge eating when given unlimited amounts of food. At my workplace, we are provided lunch for free and I have a hard time controlling my portions because it's... free. Same with house parties... It seems like I just can't stop when there are free sandwiches, chips, desserts everywhere... I just want to try them all. Any tips or advice that has helped you guys stay on track?

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You can stop. You choose not to.

So change your choices. It's not free. Not really. So. Are you willing to pay the price of eating more than you know you should?
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    just because its there doesnt mean you have to eat it

when youre tired of being overweight and TRULY ready to LOSE weight, and do what it takes to do so, you will learn to put the fork down and walk away.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat. Let the numbers either control how often you go back or show when you have done bad.

Then, at the end of the day, forgive yourself for any failure, and vow to do better tomorrow.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    get what you need and leave. most days I eat free too but I have bigger goals than just free food.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just because it's free doesn't mean you have take advantage of it.

You'll have to change your thinking to reflect this.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    this has been my problem too. Until i put my foot down and make a conscious deciscion that I wanted to be lean more than the food. Then i mentally was able to obstain. You have to want it bad enough...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The whole world is full of food that you have to make choices about. Learn to make the choice to take small portions of the foods you want.
    even when you go to the grocery store, you are buying packages of food that have more than one portion in them, and you have to choose to only eat one portion. Learning to eat in moderation is a journey, but in the end, it will lead to long-term success.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

you need to be careful with this, too. Small portions of ten or twelve different foods will still add up to a large number of calories.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pre-log it before you have it.

I always find that if I feel like going all out and eating junk, if I force myself to enter what I'm planning to eat, I see just how calorific it is and nearly always decide it's just not worth it.

I'd take a small amount then move away from the food - out of sight, out of mind.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly. Make returning for seconds inconvenient. Use a small plate. Develop an eye for portion size. Eat lots of fresh produce with no dressings or toppings. Drink lots of water. Eat mindfully and think about your choices.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's funny. When I was younger I always tried to get the most calories for my dollar. Free/cheap pizza or donuts? Awesome.

Now that I'm older it's the opposite. The thought of going to a buffet or eating out always seems terrible because I can afford as much food as I want but I'm spending more to eat less/cleaner in a sense.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I pre-log prior to going through the line.
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I fully understand binge eating at a buffet. I went a long time that I just did not go to those places then realized they are many opportunities to go back to my old binge eating habits. I reached a point that I realized that i had to learn to control myself in these situations so I know longer avoid them. I usually get a full plate of vegetables and a plate of salad with no dressing. I also try to plan on these temptations and account for them before the event.

I am learning to stop eating when I'm full instead of eating more because it tastes good.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's tough but there really are no tips. You're just going to have to control yourself and want your goals/outcomes more than the free food. Pre-log, no seconds and eat away from the buffet. I work in an environment where there's lots of food - there's always cupcakes, chips, chocolates etc laying around the wards. It is hard to resist, particularly when I'm hungry or tired. But it's not worth it. I try to think about nourishing my body and what my goals are. And seriously, I don't need to eat that Tim Tam. I've had a Tim Tam before, I know what they taste like and it won't be the last Tim Tam on earth.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We're going to a buffet next week. These outings are so far and few between, that when I do go I eat as much as I can. No holding back!! I make the most of every minute I'm there, otherwise I don't see the point of going to an all you can eat place.
    And for $35 a pop, you bet I'm going to get my money's worth :D

Obviously this wouldn't apply if it was a regular or weekly event..
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    They are all you can eat sodium and fat laden foods. You have to make better choices if you are really serious about losing weight.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hmm well I guess I don't agree that the point of going to a buffet is to eat as much as I can, but then again the local buffet is 7.00 for lunch. I tend to get mostly sushi there and sashimi and maybe a dumpling or salad