edited July 2015
    Options
    dp
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything

i read somewhere that having lots of little things makes it harder to feel full (vs having more of 1-2 things)

Yes, one normally stops eating less foods sooner than when there is a lot of variety due to sensory specific satiety.

Here's a study about this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/4/823.full

There it is, thank you! :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    What the what? Mental games....? the amount on the plate is the amount on the plate, regardless as to whether it's 5 different entrees or 2.

And satiety and feeling full have no element of mental gaming to them?
    No idea if many items vs more of a few makes a difference or not.

But, do you feel equally full when you've finished eating a heaping salad sized plate of food, or when you're done eating a sparsely filled dinner plate? When both plates contain the same amount of food?

Most people would report themselves as feeling fuller with the first option.

And thank you as well :)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I go out for fancy tea once a month. The afternoon tea typically includes very small portions of five or six items. Maybe because I eat them slowly, as I'm socializing, and because I'm mindful that these are high calorie foods, for all that they are small portions, I feel completely sated with a small variety plate as opposed to needing a larger portion of a single item. Your mileage may vary.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    I think that we went through a bit of a "side-post" as to what is the best strategy to control buffet eating with some posters getting mixed up as to who had written what.

Frankly the real strategies are:
    a) don't buy lemons until you can handle the taste0000000
    b) make lemonade with the lemons you've bought

Can you do it? Absolutely!

It is one thing if it is a special occasion. But if it is an everyday thing there comes a time when you just have to tell yourself: I don't care how much I paid (or did not pay) for the All You Can Eat, I am here to have my lunch/dinner/afternoon tea/sushi/salad bar/brunch, within my caloric budget for the day, and that's all I'm having.

The rest CAN go to waste. My health is worth more than the price of the food. And tomorrow is another day and I can have this, that, or the other that I am not going to have today because there isn't enough room within my caloric budget and the single plate I am planning to eat.
  • LieneBrante
    LieneBrante Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work as a chef. Lol...yeah .. Imagine how hard it is for me ??? I choose not to eat all.. I take my own food that weighted and done for my diet in to work. Yes it's hard sometimes when I look at that nice coconut sponge or apple crumble and it smells for an two hrs right under my nose.. But when it gets really hard I take a pen and draw an infinity signs on my hand and every time I want to take something I shouldn't that is the 1 thing I see and it reminds me : it's couple minutes of happiness eating it ... It will be infinitely on my hips . And it works like electricity!
  • LieneBrante
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything

i read somewhere that having lots of little things makes it harder to feel full (vs having more of 1-2 things)

What the what? Mental games....? the amount on the plate is the amount on the plate, regardless as to whether it's 5 different entrees or 2.
    Not exactly... Some people have harder to go trough a day without eating. It's psychological problem. Like smoking...the habit of smoking stays long after you don't crave the nicotine.its the movement it self. Same with eating. It's Easier to eat 10x a day for some small amount ( same 2 plate sizes) then wait 6 hrs apart and they start binging anyways and then eat the second plate on top of it. So I would say ,depends if you strong willed and you can wait for your meals ... Crack on! Well done . But let's be honest.. That's where we all start failing.. When we go I'm hungry and start eating something we shouldn't .. Especially when a cake or that cheese turnover winks at you. So better to split your lunch or dinner in 2,3,4 if that helps then give in !

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to go that often, since my choices turn the event into a calorie bomb

Otherwise I do like multiple items on a plate. I also try to remember which ones I didn't like that much - weren't worth the calories. There's always some items like that, you try it and it's like ugh. Clear waste of calories, just have to remember that. Easy on the fried and heavily sauced items, more on the veg and baked stuff. Settle in with a giant glass of water or unsweetened iced tea (I add zero cal sweetener). Second plate (yes, there is one) usually tends to be much smaller than first. That's when I'm getting the small quantities stuff I like best just to try some again... heh
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ya' know, for me..that is true! If I am starving an hour before lunch and I am home, I go ahead and have the full lunch. Seems for me...'little bites' never end..and leave me still hungry.
    (Edited to add). And for me, I do eat less if it is one or two..foods and not a big variety. It has nothing to do with all of it 'equaling the same number of calories'. It's more about..it's good..and I want even more!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Everyone has lost the point.
  • LieneBrante
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Point is . Take food from home that you weight out for your meals.it takes time
    And preparation but it will keep you away from the buffet. Also set your self a constant reminder around the time your getting hungry. I draw infinity sign on my hand but it can be anything you like and would work for you. Have water instead or fruit if you can't wait for another meal.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    NO. Point is, if you have to eat a buffet, learn to take small portions, so you are still eating in moderation and fitting things into your calorie deficit. You are not always going to be able to bring food from home in every situation.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I choose not to eat at those places for a few reasons,
    1. I don't like the idea that everyone has free dibs on the food, ie. dirty hands touching it and what not.
    2. don't know how fresh the food is and
    3. I prefer fresh home cooked meals that I know what ingredients are being used and how much.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I stick to one plate of food and choose normal portions like I would at home. I usually go with one protein, one starch and one veggie. And that's it. No, I can't have one of everything, so I pick the one that I want to try the most.

It's about recognizing that you are the one with the power and everything you do is your decision. Stop acting powerless.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I stick to one plate of food and choose normal portions like I would at home. I usually go with one protein, one starch and one veggie. And that's it. No, I can't have one of everything, so I pick the one that I want to try the most.

It's about recognizing that you are the one with the power and everything you do is your decision. Stop acting powerless.

This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Free doesn't mean lack of will power or discipline. That's on you. You make the decision.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem here. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with everything in sight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem here. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with everything in sight.

Practically everyone who's ever needed to lose weight understands the problem of overindulgence.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Practically everyone who's ever needed to lose weight understands the problem of overindulgence.

one would think, but apparently not. Because those who need to lose weight do continue to overindulge.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    1. Use a smaller plate to limit how much you can put on it
    2. Fill up on salad or veggies if they have them
    3. Drink plenty of water beforehand
    4. Log before you get there
    5. Remember how hard it is to burn those calories

Just my opinion anyway. Good luck