Low cal emergency snacks!

Options
What is your go to snack when you don't want to waste calories, but you're soooo hungry? When dinner is postponed, the amazing salad you made for lunch didn't end up tiding you over, you're starting before bed, etc. Example, I ate very well all day so I could dip my crab in butter at a special supper recently. Not a lot of butter, but enough to have worked for it all day. Then dinner was postponed, and I was starving. I drank a huge glass of water, it did nothing. What would you do?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    vegetables dipped in hot sauce (~30-50)
    half a serving of crackers with a cheese wedge (90)
    one ounce of cheese wrapped in two ounces of deli meat (130+)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lightly salted cucumber slices
    Lemon-ginger tea (no sugar, no honey, no milk)

Slightly higher cal ...
    -- mandarin or kiwi fruit (40-60 cal depending on the size)
    -- 150 grams of a light yogurt (60 cal)
    -- 100 grams of cottage cheese (85 cal)
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat a handful of nuts - ok they are high in kcals but they fill you up nicely and are healthy
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    I eat a handful of nuts - ok they are high in kcals but they fill you up nicely and are healthy

Am I the only one who does not feel full from nuts? I need at least two handfulls of the stuff to feel somewhat sated and that is a huge amount of calories!

A small apple works for me (~70 cal), or a large bell pepper (~30 cal) because it takes a lot of chewing. A little quark with some fruit is also great to sate the hunger (~70 cal) and of course things like munching on a cucumber or carrot. A few grams of chocolate also go a looooong way!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Babybel cheese (70 cals), a HB egg (70 cals), few spoonfuls of either cottage cheese or greek yoghurt, herbal tea.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    Options
    Ah, had to look up quark! Cottage Cheese? Yuck ;-) Greek Yoghurt is much better!
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i just boiled chunky strips of carrots like 500grams - quick to boil, tasty and like 200 cals if u eat the lot
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    if i were stuck somewhere waiting for dinner and did nothave access to any of the aforementioned excellent goto's I'd chew sugar free gum or drink tea if available.
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    [quote="Faithful_Chosen;33255852"
    Am I the only one who does not feel full from nuts? I need at least two handfulls of the stuff to feel somewhat sated and that is a huge amount of calories! [/quote]

No, you are not alone! I have the same problem...besides they're so moreish it's hard to STOP eating them!

[quote="Faithful_Chosen;33255852"A small apple works for me (~70 cal), or a large bell pepper (~30 cal) because it takes a lot of chewing. A little quark with some fruit is also great to sate the hunger (~70 cal) and of course things like munching on a cucumber or carrot. A few grams of chocolate also go a looooong way! [/quote]

Yep, these snacks work for me too, but is a small apple really ~70cal?
  • Faithful_Chosen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fleurk126 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who does not feel full from nuts? I need at least two handfulls of the stuff to feel somewhat sated and that is a huge amount of calories!

No, you are not alone! I have the same problem...besides they're so moreish it's hard to STOP eating them!
    A small apple works for me (~70 cal), or a large bell pepper (~30 cal) because it takes a lot of chewing. A little quark with some fruit is also great to sate the hunger (~70 cal) and of course things like munching on a cucumber or carrot. A few grams of chocolate also go a looooong way!

Yep, these snacks work for me too, but is a small apple really ~70cal?

My small elstar apples are, according to the database? Like this one, about 150 grams.

zkcn408toolm.jpg
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    my trusty wasabi peas have never let me down.
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make little wraps out of quorn slices spread with extra light laughing cow cheese + add sweetcorn, onion and cucumber NOM. Some other things I usually pick: raw or steamed veggies, frozen grapes or banana, fruit in general, greek yoghurt, sugar free jelly..
    If I don't have any calories to play with I just drink herbal tea.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ah, had to look up quark! Cottage Cheese? Yuck ;-) Greek Yoghurt is much better!

No, it's different! I bought cottage cheese a few days ago because everyone was raving about it and it's disgusting! It's like cheese water with chunks! *shudders*. Quark is probably a European/Dutch thing? It's like slightly thicker yoghurt, but about half as liquidy as Greek yoghurt. The taste is inbetween the two, too: slightly more sour than Greek yoghurt but a lot less than actual yoghurt. It's about 50 calories for 100 grams. And delicious! I tossed the cottage cheese after one go. Ugh!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    f0r9y1ybgtx2.png

At 3:00 am, I went out to the garden with a flashlight, and picked my snacks for the night. Yum!
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options

No, it's different! I bought cottage cheese a few days ago because everyone was raving about it and it's disgusting! It's like cheese water with chunks! *shudders*. Quark is probably a European/Dutch thing? It's like slightly thicker yoghurt, but about half as liquidy as Greek yoghurt. The taste is inbetween the two, too: slightly more sour than Greek yoghurt but a lot less than actual yoghurt. It's about 50 calories for 100 grams. And delicious! I tossed the cottage cheese after one go. Ugh!

yeah I love quark - it's great ! With fruit it's a dessert. Cottage cheese is fab on top of a green salad. Add a bit of salad sauce and you have a great snack.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd love some Ginger Snap cookies. Or cheese? Cheese & crackers. If I start eating those, I don't know when to stop. So I try to eat some raw veggies or make a salad. Greek 100 Yogurt is always good too. I can't keep too many in fridge at a time, though. ( I need to be locked away on an island, and have my food shipped in once a day.) lol
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options

yeah I love quark - it's great ! With fruit it's a dessert. Cottage cheese is fab on top of a green salad. Add a bit of salad sauce and you have a great snack.

Exactly! And it's naturally make with low fat. If you buy full fat, it actually has fat added to it to create it. It's meant to be lean and I use it in so much! :love: It's my replacement for Greek yoghurt on days where my dinner is big (I am planning a huge cauliflour base pizza tonight!), cutting out over 100 calories for breakfast. I snack on it when hungry, make egg salad with it, or salad dressing.

I am not touching cottage cheese again. Not ever.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    Options
    After having repeatedly given up on cottage cheese (and high sodium too), I found a "dry curd" cottage cheese the other day. Excitement (low sodium too!).... NOT. It is still sitting in the fridge. I supposed I could toss it over a salad as a protein, assuming I drown the salad with something... but I generally don't drown my salads ;-)

In the meanwhile the little splenda or stevia sweetened 35-50 Cal 100g desert yoghurt's are flying out..
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Same here!
    I don't really eat Nuts anymore because of this,...would rather eat something else more filling for the same cals.

Peanut Butter on Toast is pretty filling for a quick snack.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options

You are not alone!

I was horrified to discover that what I thought was about one serving of nuts (a couple decent handfuls) was about 400-500 cal ... and they didn't quite fill me up. Nuts just don't work for me at all.