Any specific food items you quit and noticed it helped you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop a thing (save for food I am intollerant to), but I did stop buying potato chips during my weekly grocery trip. It's my vice and I used to go through a family bag in an evening. Now I have to go out to get them when I have a craving, and I am only allowed to buy a single portion bag. Works like a charm!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Processed foods besides cheese and bacon.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Soda, simply due to the calories and I never really enjoyed it anyway. It now tastes sickening sweet.

Instead I budget these calories into beer - beautiful beer!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Grain products with little fiber. When I switched to high fiber this whole process became much easier for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I did a total diet overhaul. The purpose was to eat a healthy diet. The weight loss just started happening. So, I'd have to say Yeah, I cut a LOT of stuff out and it helped me lose weight.

The only things I avoid specifically because they cause cravings are white breads and pastas. They weren't completely omitted at first, but the cravings became too tough to deal with, so out they went. It helped me.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    When I was eating at a deficit I stopped using mayo on my sandwiches. I didn't really love mayo and wanted to eat those calories somewhere else (CHOCOLATE!). I just weighed a little mustard or hot sauce onto my sandwich instead (lower calories). Another thing I did was started buying those 100 calorie sandwich flats instead of torta rolls. Those 2 changes shaved about 200 calories off of a sandwich.

While it didn't aid in losing weight it helped to use those calories somewhere more satisfying.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut things out really... I did make a decision not to drink my calories as much as I had previously tho
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I hadn't cut out drinking calories way before deciding to lose weight that's the one thing I would have done. (But that's also because I don't have a strong preference for any sources of liquid calories. If I did I'd have made them fit, perhaps.)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My stomach feels best when I avoid grains (even beans), but I don't typically cut them 100% unless I have a real reason to - like my wedding.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I did stop drinking soda for the most part, but it wasn't so much to do with weight loss as it was because I was limiting calories, I was hungry and I needed FOOD.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    beer.
    I miss beer.
    :'(
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Nachos :'(
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread, and anything else with gluten in it, because the doc said he was sure I have severe gluten sensitivity. I lost 7 in the first week alone! But side note, I don't feel deprived...if I REALLY want something, and feel like it is worth a tummy ache later, I have some...but only a little.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread, and anything else with gluten in it, because the doc said he was sure I have severe gluten sensitivity. I lost 7 in the first week alone! But side note, I don't feel deprived...if I REALLY want something, and feel like it is worth a tummy ache later, I have some...but only a little.

You don't have celiac disease do you? A little bit of gluten, even bread crumbs, is enough to set off inflammation in a celiac even if you aren't feeling the symptoms.

Best wishes.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Not really food but soda
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My diet is drastically different

I at a crap diet in excess. Eating a crap diet in moderation was not the optimal solution

I still can over eat on mixed nuts. It is so easy to go over on my calories for the day with a couple handfuls of mixed nuts. Instant 700 calories
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I stopped sodas, juices and coffee. I added more fruits and vegetables to my life and it's just so much better. I drink a lot more water now. Honestly, I don't miss the sodas. Occasionally, I will have a small glass of juice or a cup of decaf. All things in moderation.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    There are several foods I just don't buy or bring into my house any longer.
    Doughnuts, ice cream, potato chips, cookies, and muffins.
    I totally understand that I can eat these if they fit into my daily calories- but the thing is, I'd rather just not have them here.
    On occasion I'll get an ice cream cone, or have a small bag of chips with a sandwich. That way it's limited.

• PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I've really given up completely. I either have it in moderation/if I have enough of a calorie deficit left.