Any specific food items you quit and noticed it helped you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Haven't had a drop since I started. Don't have room in my calories. I would be very hungry if I drank calories instead of eating them, or I would go over my alotted 1200 calories a day. When I switch to maintenance and have more calories to play with I'll start adding it back in.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Pasta, because I can't seem to stop eating it once I start. I also watch my sodium (it wasn't great today) also carbs, I really try to keep my carbs to at least 150 and my sugar low cause if they are high I tend to want to eat more.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bread and white rice. I am better off without them...
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all caloric drinks. It's amazing how fast that stuff can add up. I still feel guilty having a 5 calorie flavored seltzer water because it just feels like I'm drinking a soda.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I initially started MFP I quit soda thinking it helped me to lose weight. Then I realized that it wasn't quitting the soda that really did it but the caloric deficit from quitting the soda. Quitting 3 sodas a day freed up 450 calories. Now if I want a soda I see if it fits into my calorie goal for the day.

Bingo! Erase "soda" and fill it in with anything you enjoy but that may not really be nutritional at all. Diet Soda fills that "carbonated" void for me, but too much isn't healthy either.

@sjohnson__1, @strong_curves: I like the refreshing fizz of soft drinks/sodas rather than the content. In fact, I ditched soda because lately, it started to taste too sweet. In it's place, soda water with a twist of lime or a sliced up strawberry for flavour.

But keeping the to OP, same as some here, I didn't quit any particular item altogether, just had more reasonable portions in lower frequencies. Soda/pop/soft drinks: I stopped drinking as a change of personal taste rather than trying to 'eat better'.
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Gluten! Once I started paying attention and avoided food with it, what a difference! But not in the way you are referring. It's like freakin glue in my system! lol All of my life I thought I just had issues. And would take Aloe Vera capsules daily to alleviate. As soon as I cut this garbage, everything worked right. No aloe needed. If I have something with it, back to the ole issues.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sugar in general. When I cut down on sugar I saw good results. Bread makes me drowsy and sleepy so I try to avoid it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nuts :disappointed:
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bread for me as well. It was just too calorie dense to be worth it. I would end up binging on it and then go over my calories for the day, and I would crash and be hungry again anyway.
    I've also cut back on the drinking
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Carbs. All forms. Insulin intolerance, sluggish feelings and stalled weight loss, even when I get the "good" ones. Found myself dependent on coffee to be regular and have enough energy to get through the day. Cutting carbs works for ME.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I stopped buying bread I had to stop snacking on it, saved me a lot of calories. I can eat a whole loaf in a day, so I swapped to tortillas. Basically I stopped buying some foods as part of the normal groceries and have to make a special trip if I really want them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes. Diet foods. Full fat foods are more satisfying and satiating and I can eat less with no problems. Cravings are almost gone.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    alcohol
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Sodas but also sugar in general. And I just cut back on it.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I haven't given up anything really. It's been quite a long time since I had a tim hortons muffin or donut, but not because I quit eating them, as much as the fact I don't want to waste the calories on them. If I want a sweet, I'd rather have a 200 cal protein bar - curbs my sweet craving but still get some protein in with it.

ETA: same with iced caps or iced coffees. I now make my own with protein powder, instant coffee, sweetener, ice and water. Blend and voila, an iced coffee that's a protein shake as well (and only 130 cals)
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cut out fast food (This was especially hard since I had Dunkin Donuts every. single. day. when I wasn't taking care of myself) but I will have it occasionally, if my calorie goal lets me. I also cut out really bad food like cheesy snacks (Goldfish, Doritos, Cheez-its) and most types of ice cream (an exception to this is the weight watchers ice cream snacks)
  • chels1126
    chels1126 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners, even though they don't have calories, eliminating them makes me a lot flatter in the stomach region and have less cravings
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    In general, I eat what I did before.

The only food that I really "gave up" (for now) is salsa con queso. I love that stuff and can down a whole jar in 2-3 days. I could eat it if I could stick to the serving size, but one serving is a really sad amount. I'd rather not eat any than that little bit. It just doesn't seem worth the calories to me.

When I go to maintenance and have a few more calories to play with, I might start eating it again since I could probably work in 3 servings or something.