Intermittent fasting

Options
has anyone lost weight by intermittent fasting

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of people have. Just like lots of people have lost weight just by calorie counting. CICO. If you want to lose weight you just have to eat at a deficit.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You do not lose weight from intermittent fasting. You lose weight from being in a calorie deficit. Intermittent fasting is a technique that makes it easier for some to be consistent with their calorie deficit. It in no way causes quicker or enhanced weight loss when compared to eating a more typical pattern of meals provided calories are the same. It's worth trying to see if you find that particular pattern of eating to your liking. I do it when dieting and it works rather well with my lifestyle. I find it much more satisfying to have a couple large meals then to have several small ones. This is all personal preference though, the reason I lose weight is because of the calorie deficit.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss, but it is important for sleep cycles, which is important for hormone regularity, and so on. The only instance I've ever seen of IF actually helping anyone lose weight (beyond aiding in control over CICO) is a friend with an actual medical condition (Hashimotos). Her doc recommended it as a therapy to help improve her T3 levels, and when they went up, she was able to budge a few stubborn pounds.

IF isn't something to just jump into uninformed. Personally, I had to have a larger eating window (14 hours of fasting per day was my max. If I went longer than that for an extended amount of days it was like I had constant PMS.) IF can have a huge effect on hormones, so do a LOT of research.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yes.

I've also maintained weight while doing IF and gained weight while doing IF.

Biggest benefit to me is easier adherence to a particular calorie goal.
  • Xcsn
    Xcsn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, intermittent fasting is GOAT.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lots of people. They don't mind the being hungrier during the down time because they like more food when they're eating.

It's not better or worse than other methods, just different. :)
  • AnneSoCal
    AnneSoCal Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm doing IF along with CICO. There are actually some great physiological benefits from fasting, but weight loss isn't necessarily one of them. I like it because it suits my personal eating style. I like to condense my caloric intake to a shorter eating window (between 12pm and 8pm) because I can eat larger meals. I also have almost no problem not eating breakfast. I say "almost" because I do get a little hungry, but nothing that's too bothersome.
    Oh, and I've already lost weight, but again, I think it's more to do with calorie restriction than IF.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I naturally fall into IF because eating too early in the day makes my blood sugar bounce up and down and makes me ravenous for the rest of the day - so I wait to eat until late morning/early afternoon (in fact, it's 1:15 PM and I'm just now eating 'breakfast'.) I still follow CI/CO and track/log everything I eat, though - that's why I'm losing weight. The IF is just to help me feel better during the day. I do get hungry in the morning, but I don't feel weak (which I do when my blood sugar drops). I also don't like going to bed hungry (I literally can't sleep if my stomach is growling) so it helps that as well - I usually have more than enough calories left to have a snack closer to bedtime.

Everyone's different, though, and some people need to eat in the mornings.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Yes